Cat nursing

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I´m from the baby forums, but I have a question about cats. My cat had 6 healthy kittens and 5 were weaned completely at 8 weeks and went to loving homes. The last kitten which we kept never completely weaned, and still nurses at 8 and a half MONTHS!!!, the mummy cat is fine with this, and pulls the kitten to her to nurse. What should I do? leave them to finish by themselves, separate them or what??

Hopefully someone an help me!, the vet says that she isn´t nursing, but if i separate them, theres a lot of milk!!!
I only hope that when I have my kids, its as easy for me to nurse them!!!!
Thanks..

December 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would defintiely seperate them. 8 1/2 MONTHS is beyond strange and at this point possibly unhealthy for the "kitten" as it will not get proper nutrients IMO. Seperating them for a few weeks should do the truck as mom will dry up and even if "baby" (who really isn't a baby) tried to nurse he/she won't end up getting anything and will eventually stop. Typically they only nurse until 6-8 weeks.
December 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

My Mom's cat Kaddish still nursed at 6 years old. He wasn't nursing his momma though. He would nurse my Mom on the thin skin between her thumb and first finger. He definitely made nursing, suckling mouth movements and he would kneed Mom while he "nursed" just like a kitten. We thought it was the cutest, most bizarre thing. He never got over it (we lost him at 6 years old to a dog attack).

I'd say you should definitely separate them. Maybe you can give the kitten a surrogate something to nurse on? He may never get over the motions though.

December 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
When I brought home my 2nd cat, Arawen, at 8 weeks she would nurse off my other cat who was not her mother (and had never been, so she wasn't getting any milk). She "nursed" off my kitty Morgana until she was about 7 months old.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
December 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's pretty normal for some animals to do that suckeling motion, I got my puppy at 7 weeks and he kept trying to nurse from my 5 year old SPAYED female (although has had several litters of pups I am sure). A combination of him not getting anything and her yelping stopped it after a week or so. I don't think the suckling is so abnormal, I think the problem will come into play when kitty eats less regular food because he's actually getting MILK from mom, not to mention mom doesn't need to be a nurse maid forever. Poor thing needs to dry up and be able to be a normal cat which is why I personally say to seperate them, at least long enough for mom to dry up. I think once he isn't getting anything he will probably stop, if not oh well it won't hurt anyone by him not getting enough regular food and her not being a nurse maid forever.
December 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
mrsdismang
Cats will nurse for as long as they are allowed. As long as they are eating cat food it doesn't harm them to continue to nurse. Cats can be pretty neurotic and I'm sure at this point it's more of a comfort thing than for nutrition.
December 11th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all your advice, I have taken the kitten (almost 9 months) to be spayed and I commented to the vet (I´ve gone to one a lot closer to home now) and he says that he´ll give the mum a shot to dry up the milk, and that its not bad or unhealthy, but it makes the kitten dependent on mum forever, and that the mum will be trying to produce milk and may end up overweight. So I think its for the best. He also suggests giving the kitten a teddy bear to cuddle when mums not there!!.

December 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
mrsdismang
Hehe a teddy bear! How cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search