Pill Pockets

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Hart_N_Sole
The veterinarian we used to use back in Southern California used to carry this product, "Pill Pockets".
The idea is to drop the pill inside the treat, and it is a no hassle way to pill your cat or dog.

What do you think of this product?

Personally, I would never waste my money. If you know how to properly pill a pet, why bother?
December 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A friend gave me some in case I got a foster that didn't want to take a pill. I decided to see if they really worked, my dogs ate the treat and spit out the pill LoL. Now my grandmother used them for her 18 year old cocker and they worked great. My cat was completely uninterested.
December 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Nope wouldn't use 'em. If I have to hide a pill I'll try a weenie or HB meat, lots cheaper, and usually with my luck anyways I have to shove it down their throat cause they'll do like Meghan said and eat the stuff and spit the pill out. Hardest dog I ever saw for giving a pill was my mom's Weenie dog.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 11th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Nope wouldn't use 'em. If I have to hide a pill I'll try a weenie or HB meat, lots cheaper, and usually with my luck anyways I have to shove it down their throat cause they'll do like Meghan said and eat the stuff and spit the pill out. Hardest dog I ever saw for giving a pill was my mom's Weenie dog.[/b]
Well and for us my b!itch gets a pill and a half of an anti fungal medication, (1) pill for hypothyroid, (2) Glucosamine/Chondrontin/MSM pills, (3) fish Oil Capsules, (1) vitamin E capsule, (1) milk thistle capsule, and (2) SAMe pills TWICE a day (minus the SAMe and Vitamin E those are only once). So that's 17 capsules/pills total per day. Now some like the fish oil and vitamin E I just throw in her food and she eats them, but if I used a piece of meat or pill pocket or whatever for the others, she'd be as huge as a cow with all of those extra calories! I just push the others down her throat and she's SO good about it. She goes and sits by the cupboard after she eats her meal in the morning and evening and opens her mouth before I even touch her snout LoL. My puppy gets 2 fish oil capsules a day and 2-3 vitamin E capsules a week and I just push them down his throat as well. Why add the extra calories if you don't have to.

Now my cat, HE was the difficult one having to wrestle him to the ground, he hid when I came looking for him, it was AWFUL!
December 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
My MIL's cat loves pill pockets. He has terrible allergies and so she has to give him steroids sometimes, and other meds. She's elderly and this particular cat is VERY difficult to pill, she would have no chance without the pill pockets. He gobbles them up like candy.

My now deceased cat Sam didn't like the pill pockets. She had a thyroid condition and required 2x daily pills. I wish she gobbled the pill pockets down like my MIL's kitty! But of course no. I tried everything - wet cat food, bacon you name it, she would spit out the pill. Finally I had to buy specially-made tuna thyroid pills, and even those she stopped eating after a while. So it was a daily pilling ritual filled with hissing. Some cats are too smart for their own good!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

December 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My MIL's cat loves pill pockets. He has terrible allergies and so she has to give him steroids sometimes, and other meds. She's elderly and this particular cat is VERY difficult to pill, she would have no chance without the pill pockets. He gobbles them up like candy.

My now deceased cat Sam didn't like the pill pockets. She had a thyroid condition and required 2x daily pills. I wish she gobbled the pill pockets down like my MIL's kitty! But of course no. I tried everything - wet cat food, bacon you name it, she would spit out the pill. Finally I had to buy specially-made tuna thyroid pills, and even those she stopped eating after a while. So it was a daily pilling ritual filled with hissing. Some cats are too smart for their own good![/b]
Haha isn't that the truth? My deceased cat knew the times I gave him his meds and so he'd hide around those times and let me tell you, I never knew a cat could find so many dang hiding places!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search