Somthing to think about when you get a tag for your pooch..........

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
We went to the horse sale this weekend. It's our general thing that we go to to visit with old friends that we never get to see any other time. I honestly have no idea why I put myself through it, cause I always leave feeling upset over some equine that has come through that is either thin, or hurt or jsut general needs a chance with a good loving home-or mini cause they seem to be the most misunderstood ones in these parts. But that's totally off the point of this post. LOL

Anways, Saturday morning we were standing in the alley way visiting with a friend who was a few horses away from running his through w/his wife and stuff. Behind us we heard a commotion and turned aroudn to see a horse blow up bucking down the other way of the alley. Just about that time here comes this little terrier dog that was just like the Toto on the wizard of OZ. He runs up to us and it was more than obvious he'd either spooked the horse and caused the fuss or had gotten pretty close to it and been scared. A friend knelt down and he willingly came up to her, and was friendly. He let her pick him up and look at his tags he had on his collar, and it had his name Willie, and the ranch "Flying H' and a phone number. We stood there a few mins waiting to see if an owner was coming down the ally to claim him (people are BAD about letting thier pups wander around there without leashes resulting in the above mentioned problems as well as a host of others that obviously come form a loose dog around a bunch of people and horses and vehicles). Well No owner shows, so we decided to take him to the office and see if they knew who he belonged to, cause no one could think of a Flying H ranch in the area. We get to the office and ask the lady working at the check in desk and she says she thinks she knows who they are and that they are from aorund the panhandle. So we call the number more or less figuring it's a home number and it was. So she annoynes, if anyone has a dog by the name of Willie can you come get him. We wait no one shows, then she looks up the number to make sure and then annonces the name on the account, still no one shows. I bet we set in there for over an hour and were honestly trying to think of what the next step would be to do with him (said friend had already decided that if need be she'd take him home, lol she loves that type of dog), and FINALLY a lady comes out of the sale area, and says "that's MY dog!". She was grateful that we'd picked him up, all the while she'd NEVER heard the annoncements. Turns out he'd gotten out of the horse trailer he'd been in and was honestly a lucky dog cause the more people we talked to, the more told us they'd seen him around the parking lot, around the show me area after the roping cattle, just generally around all over there that morning. HE could of been run over, stepped on, kicked or a host of other things. All the while it could of been prevented or she could of been found much sooner if she'd of put her name, and CELL number on the tag too. I mean the dog name is important, as well as the house number, but honestly when you are 400 miles from home around a place where no one knows your ranch, the ranch name isn't that helpful. And he was so people friendly she was lucky it was us and not someone who woudln't of tried to find her and would of just kept him that found him. I don't understand the theroy of taking them and leaving them in a trailer either to somthing like that. It's all too easy to get 'em stolen, yeah i give it to her for not dragging him all over the sale that day as it's just as bad- when you consider the inside is generally so packed you can barley find sitting room.

Anyways It's just somthing that I thought I'd post for a sort of FYI when deciding what to put on their dog tags.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Microchips are also good as any vet's office, most shelters, and most rescues have the scanning device. But putting a cell number on a tag only works if you have a cell LoL. Personally we do not have a cell so our home number is the number that is put on the tag plus all of our pets are microchipped with 2 alternate contacts with the microchipping company.
December 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Yeah I agree on the Chips too! Have no earthly idea though if this little guy had one or not, as we were at the sale. LOL Another lady brought up another good peice of info is to add your email addy too.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 11th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yeah I agree on the Chips too! Have no earthly idea though if this little guy had one or not, as we were at the sale. LOL Another lady brought up another good peice of info is to add your email addy too.[/b]
Yeah that's very true, even when you're on vacation you typically check e-mail somehow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search