Log In Sign Up

New furbaby!!!!!!!!


Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
December 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
My DF gave me my Xmas present early tonight!!

I have a bunny rabbit!!!!! He is white and has black spots on his body, and his ears are black, and both eyes have black circles! He is so cute!! DF knows ALLLLLLLLLLLL about bunnies, so he is teaching me how to take care of him properly, and all. We bought him a few things at Petco....Alfalfa, bedding, water bottle, litter box, and a 'Hay Buffet' bucket!!

The cat likes him. She hasnt growled or hiss at him, and is very interested in him. Now, my dog, thats a different story. She is a Pekeniese, so she is about the same size as the bunny. She is very excited and wants to go and play with bunny.

Does anyone have a bunny?? I would LOVE some extra advice!!!!

Im going to take a picture of me and bunny for you guys to see!!! Im so excited!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #2  
December 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Here is the link to my other post with pics!

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...p;#entry7897035
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 13th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,429
Oh he is so cute. Congrats!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
December 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Thank you!!!
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5  
December 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 22,412
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Awwwwwwwwwwww isnt he jsut the cutest thing!!!! OMG I want one!!!
__________________


Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
December 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Guest
Posts: n/a
Congratulations on your bunny!

From the photos, he looks to be a Mini Rex... Does he have velvet like fur?
The coloring is referred to as "broken black".

Do you know about how old he is? From the photos, he appears to be an adult... over 6 months of age.
If he is, you will want to be feeding him timothy hay, rather than alfalfa hay... Alfalfa is best used for bunnies under 6 months of age, as it is high in calories and very fattening. Keeping an adult bunny on alfalfa will just make for an over weight bunny! Along with the timothy hay, you will want to provide a quality pelleted diet (I recommend Purina products, they make excellent rabbit feed), as well as fresh veggies daily - romaine lettuce (NO iceberg), basil, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, celery, carrots (in moderation, they are full of sugar), cilantro, collared greens, dandelion greens and flowers, clover, kale, mint, parsley, spinach, water cress ... just to name a few, lol!

Do you plan to have him neutered? Unaltered male rabbits have a life span of about 3-5 years, but neutering him can bump his life span up to 12 years or so. Neutering will also improve litterbox habits, as he wont have the urge to mark things that he claims as "his territory".

Our French Lop bunny passed on this past summer, and we miss him greatly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
I've got years and years of experience with rabbits.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
December 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 11,388
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
He is adorable! I love bunnies.. I was hoping/planning on getting one late Feb.. but Im not completely sure yet. I had one for about 8 years, he passed a few years ago.
__________________
beckii ... momma to my beautiful princess Mikayla Lynn 01.18.06
Reply With Quote
  #8  
December 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Illinois ( originally From New Jersey:)
Posts: 13,040
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
how adorable !!!

Congrats and good luck !!!!!!
__________________















Reply With Quote
  #9  
December 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Quote:
Congratulations on your bunny!

From the photos, he looks to be a Mini Rex... Does he have velvet like fur?
The coloring is referred to as "broken black".

Do you know about how old he is? From the photos, he appears to be an adult... over 6 months of age.
If he is, you will want to be feeding him timothy hay, rather than alfalfa hay... Alfalfa is best used for bunnies under 6 months of age, as it is high in calories and very fattening. Keeping an adult bunny on alfalfa will just make for an over weight bunny! Along with the timothy hay, you will want to provide a quality pelleted diet (I recommend Purina products, they make excellent rabbit feed), as well as fresh veggies daily - romaine lettuce (NO iceberg), basil, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, celery, carrots (in moderation, they are full of sugar), cilantro, collared greens, dandelion greens and flowers, clover, kale, mint, parsley, spinach, water cress ... just to name a few, lol!

Do you plan to have him neutered? Unaltered male rabbits have a life span of about 3-5 years, but neutering him can bump his life span up to 12 years or so. Neutering will also improve litterbox habits, as he wont have the urge to mark things that he claims as "his territory".

Our French Lop bunny passed on this past summer, and we miss him greatly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
I've got years and years of experience with rabbits.[/b]

They had told us that he was already neutured, but then again, they told us that HE was a SHE. But DF looked and HE is definately a HE. I didnt know that about the Alfalfa. We will definately change it to Timothy Hay. They told us Oreo was about 6 months old. He is very very soft... I love touching his fur. And it does feel like velvet. He hasnt been marking his territory at all. Only the first 2 days when we broght him home, he did pee on my blanket and on the floor. But that is it. He has his litter box in his cage and we see that he uses it.

We always take him out of the cage and let him roam in the living room where we are usually at. When he gets into things, how can I discipline him?? I read that you need to thump thier foot???? To signify danger?? He hasnt gotten into any cords or anything since we have rabbit-proofed all the TV/DVD wires. But we have a library in our living room, and he will pull out books and chew on them! Usually with the dog and cat I just raise my voice, and they understand. But with Oreo Cookie, he just keeps on munching. He has his 'munching toys' in his cage that he loves!!!! He is so playful in his cage when we are gone. He will pull out all the alfalfa out of the hay-buffet and throw it all over the place! Also, I have been filling his water bottle everynight!!!! Is it normal for him to drink that much water??? Its not like the small ones...this one is huge and round, and Ive been filling it up every night when I get home from work. I am trying to find an exotic vet. so we can take Oreo in to be seen in case he needs something.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #10  
December 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
We always take him out of the cage and let him roam in the living room where we are usually at. When he gets into things, how can I discipline him?? I read that you need to thump thier foot???? To signify danger?? He hasnt gotten into any cords or anything since we have rabbit-proofed all the TV/DVD wires. But we have a library in our living room, and he will pull out books and chew on them! Usually with the dog and cat I just raise my voice, and they understand. But with Oreo Cookie, he just keeps on munching. He has his 'munching toys' in his cage that he loves!!!! He is so playful in his cage when we are gone. He will pull out all the alfalfa out of the hay-buffet and throw it all over the place! Also, I have been filling his water bottle everynight!!!! Is it normal for him to drink that much water??? Its not like the small ones...this one is huge and round, and Ive been filling it up every night when I get home from work. I am trying to find an exotic vet. so we can take Oreo in to be seen in case he needs something.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!! [/b]
Disciplining a rabbit... Rabbits have minds of their own, and believe me, if they want to do something, they're going to find a way to do it! There really is no way to discipline him, but thumping might help. You don't want to actually thump the bunny's foot though, it might cause him to fear you... Instead, when you catch him doing something you don't like, use your hand and thump the floor near him vigorously... See if he stops. If not, just pick him up and move him away from that situation.

It's okay to provide him his chew toys when he is out and about, it might distract him from wanting to destroy your books and such. Also, I used to keep lots of different toys in my bunny's cages or playpens... I bought parrot toys... The kind you can hook onto wire with the wood pieces... plastic links, balls with bells inside to roll around... My bunnies were always entertained... and I would rotate the toys, so they didn't become bored of them. It always put a smile on my face to hear the little bells as they played with their toys...

As for the water question... If you are using a water bottle, and not a crock (I always used bowls), Oreo might actually be "playing" with the ball on the water bottle spout... Not drinking all the water that comes out, but entertaining himself with it! It's just a way for him to pass time and keep himself occupied.

I'm glad I can help!

Reply With Quote
  #11  
December 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 15,716
AW So cute
__________________
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
December 20th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Quote:
Quote:
We always take him out of the cage and let him roam in the living room where we are usually at. When he gets into things, how can I discipline him?? I read that you need to thump thier foot???? To signify danger?? He hasnt gotten into any cords or anything since we have rabbit-proofed all the TV/DVD wires. But we have a library in our living room, and he will pull out books and chew on them! Usually with the dog and cat I just raise my voice, and they understand. But with Oreo Cookie, he just keeps on munching. He has his 'munching toys' in his cage that he loves!!!! He is so playful in his cage when we are gone. He will pull out all the alfalfa out of the hay-buffet and throw it all over the place! Also, I have been filling his water bottle everynight!!!! Is it normal for him to drink that much water??? Its not like the small ones...this one is huge and round, and Ive been filling it up every night when I get home from work. I am trying to find an exotic vet. so we can take Oreo in to be seen in case he needs something.

Thank you so much for your advice!!!! [/b]
Disciplining a rabbit... Rabbits have minds of their own, and believe me, if they want to do something, they're going to find a way to do it! There really is no way to discipline him, but thumping might help. You don't want to actually thump the bunny's foot though, it might cause him to fear you... Instead, when you catch him doing something you don't like, use your hand and thump the floor near him vigorously... See if he stops. If not, just pick him up and move him away from that situation.

It's okay to provide him his chew toys when he is out and about, it might distract him from wanting to destroy your books and such. Also, I used to keep lots of different toys in my bunny's cages or playpens... I bought parrot toys... The kind you can hook onto wire with the wood pieces... plastic links, balls with bells inside to roll around... My bunnies were always entertained... and I would rotate the toys, so they didn't become bored of them. It always put a smile on my face to hear the little bells as they played with their toys...

As for the water question... If you are using a water bottle, and not a crock (I always used bowls), Oreo might actually be "playing" with the ball on the water bottle spout... Not drinking all the water that comes out, but entertaining himself with it! It's just a way for him to pass time and keep himself occupied.

I'm glad I can help!
[/b]

Ahhhhhhh!!!! Yeah I dont want him to be scared of me. He like to run up to me and stand on his hind legs like he wants me to pick him up. I kinda scared to because the last few times he has jumped out of my hands.

And whats with the thumping he does with his hind legs?? I caught him doing that yesterday to the dog twice, like he wants Chance to play with him. Is he encouraging to the dog to play?

He likes being chased!!! I will chase him, and then 'fall' to the floor and he will come to me and sniff me, and lay on his tummy by my head. he is so much fun!!!! We also play hide and seek. Our bedspread is really big on our bed because I tend to bunch it up in the middle of the night(Im weird) and he hides behind the covers, and then will jump out at me. Or if I walk into the room and ask where he is, he will jump on the bed like...HERE I AM!
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #13  
December 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
And whats with the thumping he does with his hind legs?? I caught him doing that yesterday to the dog twice, like he wants Chance to play with him. Is he encouraging to the dog to play?[/b]
The thumping is actually his way of showing nervousness and fear. In a colony of rabbits, one rabbit would thump to alert the others of danger... Chance, being a dog, is a predator. Rabbits are prey. Sounds like Oreo is a bit nervous, uncomfortable around Chance. It may get better with time.

It sounds like you are having a blast with Oreo. Bunnies are awesome pets!

Post more photos when you get the chance!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
December 21st, 2007, 08:10 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I see!!!! Hmmmm, Chance follows him all over the house, and hasnt hurt him. I definately want them to get used to each other, but I also dont want him to get scared of Chance. I dont think that Chance would hurt him. At least I hope she doesnt. Her and Oreo are about the same size. She is just always playful. Same thing with the cat. Chance will pounce on the cat, and the cat will bat her lazily with her paw. Lucky doesnt really care for Oreo. She will just look at him run around the room, probably thinking Oreo is crazy or something.

I have taken a few more pics. I will post them later this afternoon!
__________________
Melba

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0