Neutering my dog...questions!!!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First off I thought I would ask you ladies, since I am sure some of you have went through this!

My dog(Rocky) is almost 2 years old he is a chihuahua/papillion mix
(This is him about 2 weeks ago when he had to have something done with his anal gland or whatever....poor dog)

Anyways he likes to pee in the house (We got him from another owner, when he was 5 months old) they never really trained him, so we tried to do that. At first he was naughty pooped and peed in the house a lot, and then we finally got it under control right before my DS Connor was born. After he was born Rocky would go potty in the house sometimes, if we didn't get to let him out.

Now Rocky has a poll in our backroom with puppy pads underneath it to pee on if he needs to in the middle of the night. For awhile he was doing great, and now he will just pee anywhere back there. Keep in mind this isn't an everyday thing...more like 3-4 times a week he'll do it??

When he goes potty outside, he lifts his leg at LEAST 3 different times peeing alittle each time. So we have come to the conclusion to get him neutered. Will getting him neutered help this problem??? Isnt he marking his territory by peeing all over???

ALSO I am sooo afraid to bring him in, it's going to be so painful for him after :-( He's just so tiny and he's like a second baby to me, ya know?

If anyone could give me any advice, that would be GREAT :0) Thanks if you read all of this!

December 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First off you need to pick a place for him to go to the bathroom, either he goes outside ALL of the time or he goes inside ALL of the time, you cannot have it both ways you're confusing the heck out of the poor dog which is probably a HUGE reason why he's going all over the place. Dogs typically do not mark their territory in their home they do it outside (which is the lifting the leg thing), but I have bad news for you neutering him very well may not stop that. I foster rescue dogs, all of which are spayed and neutered and a lot of the males, even though neutered will still lift leg and mark some of the time outside. But really if you want him to go to the bathroom outside then you need to a) let him out and NOT FORGET and b ) if you are not going to get up and take him out during the night (which is fine) then you need to crate train him so that he learns going to the bathroom anywhere he wants isn't okay. You also need to be cleaning up his accidents VERY well with a pet product to get the smell out otherwise he'll keep going in the house. You need to go back to puppy training basically, if you cannot physically watch him then you need to crate him. If you catch him in the act of going in the house then you need to tell him "no" and pick him up and put him outside. If you are 200% consistent he will eventually get it but it sounds like you are being WAY too lax, confusing him, and I know you have a baby but you took on the responsibility of the dog knowing you were going to have a baby so you cannot "forget" to put him out....set a timer or something. A dog should be able to hold their bladder 2 hours for every month old that they are in the beginning. So if he's 3 months old, he should be able to hold his bladder for 6 hours. But crating to potty train IMO is essential so I would suggest crate training, crating him at night, no more puppy pads (put him outside), make sure you are giving him enough attention and not leaving him out because of the new baby and where neutering him may help in minimal aspects and it's GREAT you are getting him neutered just be aware that he may very well continue to mark in the back yard or while on walks, etc.

Good luck!
December 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Nothing to add, Meghan went over it all with you... Just wanted to wish you luck!
December 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Megan added some good info. ALl I'll add is that he's marking when he's lifting his leg outside, it's a male dog thing, and nuetering can somtimes cut it out and then again it sometimes won't. It's a crap shoot honestly, but one I'd take.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 16th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Megan added some good info. ALl I'll add is that he's marking when he's lifting his leg outside, it's a male dog thing, and nuetering can somtimes cut it out and then again it sometimes won't. It's a crap shoot honestly, but one I'd take.[/b]
Yeah I think it depends on the age. My rescued personal boxer was 6 months old when he was neutered and I never had him lift his leg. But the 2 male fosters I have had have both been over a year when they were neutered (one was 2 years the other 18 months or so) and both lifted their leg in my back yard periodically on the corners of the yard, my patio pillars, a/c units LoL, but never in the house. Both were neutered older. Knock on wood my puppy who is almost 5 months old has not started that and will be neutered in a month or so. I'll be curious to see if he ever starts being neutered younger.
December 17th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Yeah I think age plays a part too. Although I've known 'em that got fixed at 6 months to still do it and then again when my dh got his older male fixed at 10 due to testicular cancer, that dog never lifted his leg after that. I knew a lady though that got her JRT fixed at 5 months and that little sucker would not only mark but he'd tie up with her females when they were in heat! OF course he just shot blanks but he was still very capaple of the actual act.

But Yeah I'd say if you get 'em done younger you've got a better chance of nipping it in the bud.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I know, older thread but I wanted to add. I had my 10 month old Maltese neutered and he was only about 3.9 lbs. He did just fine. One day and he was back to his old self.

He was JUST starting to lift his leg and I was not having that.

I dont think neutering will eliminate this problem but it will help with firm training. Neutering will also decrease tendency to hump and to mark obsessively. But like I said it will not eliminate it.

I cannot see how many can stand unaltered males. They are, in my book, very gross. The males Ive known have all humped obsessively, drooled, licked, and chattered their jaws at even the slightest scent of a female, and SOME of them even did that to my female Pit Bull who has been spayed since she was 5 months old.

Besides, neutering will preven any "oops" litter from occuring. Too many dogs in shelters for that.

What ever the decision, good luck. And if you had it done, I hope it went well.

January 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I know, older thread but I wanted to add. I had my 10 month old Maltese neutered and he was only about 3.9 lbs. He did just fine. One day and he was back to his old self.

I dont think neutering will eliminate this problem but it will help with firm training. Neutering will also decrease tendency to hump and to mark obsessively. But like I said it will not eliminate it.

I cannot see how many can stand unaltered males. They are, in my book, very gross. The males Ive known have all humped obsessively, drooled, licked, and chattered their jaws at even the slightest scent of a female, and SOME of them even did that to my female Pit Bull who has been spayed since she was 5 months old.

Besides, neutering will preven any "oops" litter from occuring. Too many dogs in shelters for that.

What ever the decision, good luck. And if you had it done, I hope it went well.[/b]
Just an FYI most of what you mentioned is dominance not "gross". A male was doing it to your female, not because she was a female, but because he was trying to be dominate. My male puppy does it to my MALE foster, my female does it to my male puppy, it's dominance not mating in many many cases.
January 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Quote:

What ever the decision, good luck. And if you had it done, I hope it went well.[/b]
Just an FYI most of what you mentioned is dominance not "gross". A male was doing it to your female, not because she was a female, but because he was trying to be dominate. My male puppy does it to my MALE foster, my female does it to my male puppy, it's dominance not mating in many many cases.
[/b]
No, it was definately due to the fact he was intact. His humping was accompanied by sniffing, drooling, obsessively licking her privates, and chattering his teeth and then mounting her as if she were in heat. It was very disgusting.

Every once in a while, one of my neutered males will try dominance humping with anyone of my other dogs but because I am the boss in my house, humping is not tolerated, so it rarely happens.

I also brought in an intact stray not to long ago(he has since been neutered and rehomed) and he did the same thing; the licking, the drooling, teeth chattering, and humping to the same female. He didn't do it to my males. It was definately a hormonal thing, not dominance.

Once he was neutered, the humping stopped. I still caught him sniffing and licking her every once in a while, however.
January 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
No, it was definately due to the fact he was intact. His humping was accompanied by sniffing, drooling, obsessively licking her privates, and chattering his teeth and then mounting her as if she were in heat. It was very disgusting.

[/b]
Just an FYI my puppy does this to my male foster minus the chattering teeth and on the drooling well he's a Boxer so he always drools.

But just curious, why do you find it disgusting? It's a perfectly natural normal behaviour. Do you find it disgusting for humans to have sex? There really isn't much difference, it's all natural normal instinctive behaviour. In my household we're just all about watching the Discovery channel and that at times includes educational shows in mating behaviours, etc of animals, humans, and such, maybe we're just weird. Not to say I want to sit and watch animals mate all day, but I definitely don't find it disgusting, it's just normal.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Quote:
I cannot see how many can stand unaltered males. They are, in my book, very gross. The males Ive known have all humped obsessively, drooled, licked, and chattered their jaws at even the slightest scent of a female, and SOME of them even did that to my female Pit Bull who has been spayed since she was 5 months old.[/b]

We've got a total of 4 intact males in this household. I raise JRT's and DH raises workign catahoulas. My boys every great once in a while will mark if we've had company with another male. But unless one of the girls is in heat, the teeth chattering, and behind licking is non existent. My boys don't ever hump unless they're trying to achieve that one reproductive thing either. LOL Heck my girls hump worse than my boys. I think it's all key as to how you train 'em and such. The marking, both my boys know they'll get in troubel is I catch 'em, and so they don't. IF one of the girls is in, and they aren't performing the feat, they wear a belly band in the house. The humping is about the same. HOnestly having an intact male is not much harder than a fixed one, it's all in how you train 'em and you letting them know you are pack leader and won't all it.

January 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Quote:
In my household we're just all about watching the Discovery channel and that at times includes educational shows in mating behaviours, etc of animals, humans, and such, maybe we're just weird. Not to say I want to sit and watch animals mate all day, but I definitely don't find it disgusting, it's just normal.[/b]
We're big discovery and Ap watchers here too. And no I don't think it's wierd. I have SO many breeder friends both in the dog and horse world that have NO idea when their animals mated, and think I'm weird cause I keep track of it. BUt you know if you know when it's happened you can almost pinpoint when those babies will be here, and that helps a ton when you've got a femalev supposed to whelp and your wanting to plan a trip, or you've got a mare that is on the big side and you're needing to do nightly sometimes hourly checks in case she has trouble.

It's a given here in this house with all the animals Monte has around. He'll know about the birds and bees before he's in Kindergarten. Especially with his daddy calving out heifers every year, I'm sure he'll also be sitting in the pickup as dad and mom help pull a calf a time or two or three also.

January 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
i am late once again.

In my mind, it is easier to have a neutered male and spayed female than intact ones.

But MOST importantly, I firmly believe that unless you are showing or working your dog in some field to PROVE your dogs are breeding quality, not to mention health testing(for genetic problems your breed of chice is prone to), then you should not breed your dog.

There are FAR too many dogs, purebred and mixes, withering away in shelters and being euthanized on a daily basis for someone to be breeding jsut to breed. It is a selfish thing to do.

Im not trying to say evryone should spay/neuter their dog becuase it is perfectly possible to keep intact dogs from breeding, however not only do mistakes DO happen but really, how many people out there actually take responsiblity and prevent accidental breeding? It seems, no one cares for the state the dog population it in. That is why I encourage spay/neuters because of this reason, plus all the benefits that come from neutering.

I do not think it is worth the risk of an oops litter to keep intact dog that are not being shown or worked.

And lets just say that all the dogs from an "opps" litter found great homes, but what measures has that person taken to ensure that THOSE dogs are not bred and then those dogs that those dogs produce are not bred. That person is responsible for all the dogs those dogs produce. To ignore this factis completely unethical and irresponsible as a dog owner. If someone cares for their dogs so much, they will take the measures to prevent things like these from happening.

The breeding cycle is a vicious one. The sheer number of dogs in shelters are living proof.

Not trying to offend anyone, from what I gather this is a rescue, spay,neuter oriented part of the forum. Its just my passion. I live for my dogs and I feel for those that do not have homes to enjoy. I wish I could do more to help, but I cannot. That is why I express some extreme opinions. Thanks for reading.

oh yes, I meant to add. I DO find intact male behavior disgusting, regardless of how natural it is. I also cannot relate that to human sex because for the most part, we humans take it to a room. I would NOT tolerate seeing a fellow human sniffing and licking the end of another...so I just cannot put those two together. Of course, dogs are not people, so they have no problem with PDA (haha). I just happen to not like seeing or hearing it. I really do not appreciate a male, nor will I allow it, doing it to my female, because even if it is hormone driven for an intact male to mount her, I assume she sees it as dominance and that right there will be a problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search