potty training

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
ricschick's Avatar mummy t 4 ttc no5
i have a new puppy a parsons jack russell and he is 8 weeks old and im haveing trouble potty training him? e cant go outside yet because he hasnt had his injections yet and he does go on the puppy mats sometimes then sometimes he does it on the floor any ideas how to get him to pee and poo on the mat all the time until he can go outside?

December 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Do you have your own yard? Or do you live in an apartment complex? If you have your own yard, there is no reason why your puppy cannot learn to go to the bathroom outside at this point despite not having his vaccines.

Your puppy is young, so you need to stay on top of him, take him out frequently - after naps, about 15 minutes after he eats and drinks, after playtime; and use the command "Go potty!" As soon as your puppy goes, praise! "Good boy! Good potty!", pet him, and really get him excited about his appropriate elimination. It wont take long for him to put two and two together, and figure out that pottying outside = praise. Parson's are very intelligent dogs, he should catch on quickly. When you catch him going in the house, just remove him from where he is going potty, take him outside, and tell him "Go potty". He'll learn that he is not to go inside.
December 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I agree wit Hart and sole, but even if you have an apartment if you put him on leash and don't keep him out long there's no reason why he cannot go outside. My puppy was going out to potty at 7 weeks, had only had 1 set of shots (so definitely wasn't "protected" with 1 set) and is now 4 1/2 months old and is as happy as can be. Starting him pottying in the house and then switching him outside later is going to be a nightmare with TONS of accidents and a confused dog. At this point I would take him out about 10 minutes after he eats or drinks, and then once an hour all the time. At 8 weeks he can only hold his bladder for a MAX of 4 hours and that's max. Also put him out after play sessions play/being excited=I gotta potty. I would also suggest crate training for times you have to leave, cannot watch him, or go to bed. This will help him learn to hold his bladder too. My puppy had a couple of crate accidents but honestly it was only maybe 5 and I've had him since he was 7 weeks old and he's now 21 weeks old and he is crated nightly and when we are not home. It will also keep them out of potentially dangerous mischief.

Consistency is the key, lots of praise when he goes where you want him to and a firm "no" with putting him outside when you catch him in the act in the house. And don't be surprised if he is not 100% fully potty trained until 6-8 months, accidents will still happen from time to time even once you think he's potty trained.
December 15th, 2007, 03:56 PM
ricschick's Avatar mummy t 4 ttc no5
thanks for your advice guys i will do my best
December 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Hey glad to have another JRT owner on board! I'm Teresa, and I have 4 of the little buggers (both the parson build and the shorty build) and I raise them. First of all, let me say that a JRT is one of the more hard headed breeds to potty train, and often times when you think you've got 'em down they will regress beck, BUT the key is to stay on top of it, don't give up and stay consistent!

What I tell all my pup buyers when they ask about house training them is to first get a crate, and crate train. If you can't be with the dog as in have them right there with you on a leash, or your watchign them, crate 'em until they are 100% reliable. Start by taking them out or to the potty pad every 2 hours, or every time you see them start to squat. when they go on the pad praise praise praise, even if you have to look funny standing by her saying what a good girl you pee peed or poo pood, lol JRT's def do great with praise and food, such as treating when she does go where you want her too. Most JRT's hold food WAYYY up there on the scale of things and will do almost anything for a treat, LOL. You can start by putting the pad in your bathroom, or whatever place you deem ok, to get them to go. then gradually move the pad closer to the door and then outside. Your pup should get the hang of it soon. Just make sure you stay consistent on it. Alos don't get on him too hard if he does have an accident in the house, someitmes if can go the way of teaching them and others it can make them get even too.

Just keep in mind they are a VERY smart breed, that can be a bit hardheaded at times. LOL Don't know if you know it, but they are also a breed that chews a lot especially when teething, so keep on hand PLENTY of chew toys to satisify that, and keep them from destroying stuff they aren't supposed to. They are also a breed that is energetic and excerise is the key to a happy dog. You keep 'em cooped up and they'll get destructive. An obedience class is also a must with them too.

Hope this helps and if you have any other q's feel free to holler!

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search