Microchip problem

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As some of you know I have a 5 year old flashy fawn. Well, I adopted her 2 years ago from a rescue, she was microchipped and we went on our way. Well with having lost 2 animals this year and not having called the microchipping companies (they all have different chips LoL) in 2 1/2 years I decided a couple of months ago to call and make sure all info was accurate, still up to date, inform them of the deceased pets and go about my business. Well, as it turns out, the rescue that I adopted my 5 year old from never turned over the microchip to me. So I talk to the company they said I could fill out this form and they could fix that. In the mean time they called the rescue coordinator. Well, after not having heard from her in 2 years mind you (yeah never a how's she doing, I sent a set of pictures there was never a thank you, I have heard NOTHING from her since I took that dog 2 years ago despite having sent a couple of updates and pictures not too long after we brought her home), she calls me up 2 days or so after I had talked to the chip company. She tells me that she is always listed as the primary "in case the owner ever tries to sell or get rid of the dog I will know about it" and that's their policy. Well let me say I went back adn looked at my contract and I never signed anything stating this. It says nothing about the chip except that the dog will be chipped before it leaves the rescue. So, now I am not listed as the primary and I cannot list who I want to list as the secondary (someone who knows me, is relatively familiar with my dog's medical problems, and is trustworthy). I mean legally she's mine, been mine for 2 years, I pay her medical bills, I feed her, care for her, etc. This woman has not seen her in 2 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? The chip company says it's hands are tied because she's the primary and they cannot change any info unless she says it's okay. They did say they can be removed although the woman wasn't quite sure how said to ask my vet. I would imagine that would include surgery which I don't want to do for something like this. Coudl I put an additional chip in there or would that just confuse the heck outta someone? This has seriously frustrated me. She has never gotten out, but she is one that takes off if she isn't on leash. Anyone have any ideas?

December 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
As bad as it sounds since the Chip company can't do anything I'd have it removed. It's under the skin so HOPEFULLY won't be too big of a deal. It's either that or get a lawyer and fight it out with this lady over it, which may end up proving to be a long expensive deal, still resulting in nothing being able to be done. HOnestly though rarley are adoption or even breeder contracts from what I've heard ablet o be held up in court unless they had a lawyer do it, so you'd be within your rights to have it removed.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I never signed anything stating that they'd be the primary so it's not relevant anyway. I don't want to have it removed as I believe it's surgery they have to put them until and put an incision in there to get it out. With her medical conditions I don't want to knock her out unless it's absolutely necessary which this isn't ya know. We have free legal advice through hubby's work well an organization for police officers, I'm going to call and see what they say. I may ask my dad to write a letter to the microchip company (he's a lawyer in CA). Legally she is mine I mean I spend $1500 a year in medical bills on her plus food, shelter, etc, she's definitely mine legally. But I'm considering double chipping her. Thoughts?
December 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Hart_N_Sole
That's a toughie... If it were me, I would probably go ahead and double chip her...
Sorry you are having to deal with this. How frustrating.
December 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Double chipping coudl work, but I'd worry that they'd be confused as to which chip to honor as in the info?

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
December 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah that's what my vet was saying...or that they'd only find one because they scan until they find something they don't continue to look so if they picked up the original one then they'd call the rescue if they picked up the new one they'd call me. I think I will talk to a lawyer, we get free legal advice, and see if I could get my dad to write a letter to the chip company (a lawyer) and see if they'll fix it on their end.
December 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Double chipping coudl work, but I'd worry that they'd be confused as to which chip to honor as in the info?[/b]
That's a very valid point...
December 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I decided to go back to the microchip company and see what else we can do. I mean legally the dog is mine and has been for 2 years. If she were to get out and bite someone or destroy someone's property I would be the one liable and the county, law, etc would consider her MY dog so why can't I be listed as the primary contact especially when I never signed anything stating one way or the other regardig the microchip.

So the lady said if I paid to upgrade it, which is a different program they may be able to change the contact without the permission fo the rescue since I'm going into a different program. It's only $15 a year and if the dog were to ever get out they would send a picture and info (flier) to every vet, rescue, shelter, etc organization within a 25 mile radius, it pays for emergency care if she got out and was injured up to $3,000 with a $50 deductible, and there were other things as well, and then it's only $10 a year for any additional pets, so I could register her as well as my other one, Tyson, for $25 a year. So I told her fine, it has to be approved by a manager and she's going to run that past her after the holiday and then call me back, even gave me her direct number so I could call her if I needed to. So hopefully I can get it resolved. And the program sounds like a good one for $25 a year for 2 dogs. (and just an FYI if anyone's interested the chips do not need to be Home Again chips, they can be any company and you can still sign up for the program because Tyson's isn't a Home Again chip it's a 24PetWatch and they said it didn't matter).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search