Help please!!!!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
We went to my sister's house today this mornig for Christmas. Well she is cat-sitting my mom's kitten, Ruby. Ruby still has her claws so we were watching our dog, Chance, very closely, since Chance doesnt know that a cat has claws! Ours is de-clawed. Well, Chance was eating her breakfast in the kitchen and we were in the dining room eating ours, and the cat snuck up on Chance and scratched her!!!!!

She caught her nose, and worse! Her eye!!!! Her nose bled for a few seconds, but her eye is bloodshot!!! I called the vet, and they are closed! I called the Emergency Vet, and he has to call me back, which they said dont know how long it will be!!! WHATS THE POINT IN THE EMERGENCY IF YOU CANT CALL SOMEONE BACK RIGHT AWAY!??!?!?!?! Is there anything I can do in the mean time?????? She didnt wince or yelp when the cat scratched her.

It doesnt seem to bother her. She was jumping and playing shortly afterwards. She took her nap in the car on the way home, and she is napping again with DF on the bed.

PS She didnt scratch the eye pupil. She scratched above it. She didnt rub or anything after it happened!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
December 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey did you ever hear from the vet? If so what did they say?
December 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope you heard from the vet. That's ridiculous!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
December 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
Yeah that's what happened with Cooper today as well. The emergency vet should be available. In fact maybe they should have more than one working.

December 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most ER vets just don't have enough traffic to pay a vet to be there 24/7 however they typically live only minutes from the facility and are available by phone as well. Did you guys ask to speak with a tech? A tech (not an assistant but a tech) is basiclaly a nurse, and where as not as great as the actual vet they can usually at least stabalize the animal until the vet gets there and give you pretty good and accurate advice over the phone.

When we took our dog in who was having seizures they had to call the vet in (24 hour clinic at around 1 in the morning), she was there in less than 5 minutes and the techs gave him valium (with my consent) to stabalize him until she got there.

ER vets are not as busy as you might think. I cannot tell you how many people I have heard say "that's crazy way too expensive for a vet" when prices can easily go upwards of $1,000 at an ER vet. Most people either try to wait it out at home until their family vet is in the office the next day or simply don't go at all depending on the people, situation, etc. When we were at our ER vet that morning we were the only people in there and they only had 1 other animal in the back, and I live in a city of hundreds of thousands and it services more than one city, all of which have huge numbers of people living in them. I'm not saying if that's low or high, but servicing an area easily of a million people and there only being 2 pets in this huge facility, it isn't really a wonder why they do not pay to staff a literal 24/7 vet. They are within calling distance, the techs are trained to stabalize the pet and that's more than a lot of places offer....so try not to be too hard on them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search