Your worst vet experience!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Tell us about it!

Mine would have to be back in the summer of 2000... I was working for a veterinary clinic in Agoura Hills, California... I was an assistant technician, and I truly enjoyed my job. I learned a lot, I loved being with the animals and taking care of them. I loved bathing and grooming them. I didn't love the vets I worked with though, they were all about the almighty dollar, and could care less about the animals and the owners.

I made the mistake of scheduling my German Shepherd's neuter with them... They were also going to repair his hernia, as well. They called me while they had him under and mentioned a couple teeth they needed to pull. I agreed. What should have been a $200 procedure TOPS, turned into a $1000+ NIGHTMARE! My dog became deathly ill coming out of the anesthesia, and the vets played it up as much as they could. He ended up spending a full week kenneled there, while he "recovered". While there, he was very obviously mistreated when I was not around... I was livid.

After all that drama, I quit my job and found a new vet.
December 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I never had a bad vet experience. We love our vet, when Dakota was a puppy, she got really sick which required ER surgery and our vet knew our bill was already over $2,000. So, they let us have a ultrasound free of charge and they also offered a payment plan.. Can't get any better then that..

December 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
We haven't really had a bad experience with our vets yet.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if it was so much a bad experience or bad luck BUT, when Lucas (our Boxer who passed away) first started having problems last January vet started him on Phenobarbital to keep his seizures under control. He said if it didn't work well there was another medication they could switch him to but this was the prefered medication. Well then when his blood work came back and showed a low titer for Valley Fever he started him on Fluconazole (which is normal). BUT the problem came when the Fluconazole is really hard on the liver and Phenobarb is really hard on the liver and put two and two together and you're playing with fire. Well I kept calling and telling him he just wasn't acting normal and I kept getting that it's a side effect of the medication blah blah blah and poo pooing me away. Well I finally said no I wanted to bring him in because his eyes looked yellow to me. Sure enough he was diagnosed with active liver disease! So we stopped the Phenobarb which is processed through the liver and started on Potassium Bromide which doesn't go through the liver. So my thing is since he was already on a medication hard on his liver for the Valley Fever why didn't we use the Potassium Bromide to begin with??? Secondly I had him in there he was diagnosed with active liver disease but he had pain in his neck too, so the guy prescribes him RIMADYL which is processed through and hard on the liver HELLO??? Yeah so I still go to the same practice but I see a different vet in the practice because his lack of attention to detail really got me. That had nothing to do with why Lucas died, but it was a complication I could have lived without, a complication I could have lived without treating and spending more money on, and it was just a really stupid mistake on the vet's part in not discussing side effects, thinking things through, etc. So we no longer see him anymore.
January 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
well my worst was when my mom had her baby bocat she was rehabbing. She'd gotten him as a baby without even his eyes open, and as he got to moving aroudn more, he pulled a chair over on him. It had hurt one of his legs and since she was teaching I told her I'd take him in to the local vet whom she used for her. I got there with him in the crate and this vet says he won't touch him w/out gloves on, and gets working golves. Well of cuse they scared him and that combined with him being hurt made him hiss and growl. This guy who could of very easily just tranq'ed him like they do all other wild animals, refused to even examine him. I took him back home and the next day we took him to a much nicer vet that thought nothing of it (he also handled him properly too). Won't use that first one ever again. He's a vet but is rough with the animals (he'd previously tried to float my mares teeth without any sedation), and acts like it's a hassle to mess w/them.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my Chihuahua is kinda nasty and doesnt like strangers.....she snapped at this one vet who then treated her like garbage. i switched vets to one that lets me muzzle her as soon as we get in the door, then everyone is nice with her, and she's more relaxed.....and actually its been a while and now she will actually go with them without the muzzle, and they can put it on her before the cut her nails, i've even seen one of them carrying her not muzzled! that's their prerogative, but so far no bites!
January 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I took Smokie to the vet for seizures. He had them all his life..but at that time he began to have one every day and they lasted longer and longer.

they ran tests and found nothing showing why he had the seizures and would not put him on meds. They found that he had a heart murmur as well STAGE 5 and after running tests and them showing no signs of heart failure, once again they wouldnt put him on meds.

One Friday he stayed hidden under the bed all day. He didnt bark at the mailman, didnt greet me at the door. I called the vet. They told me it was a behavior problem and he was upset because of the changes in the house (Im pg and DS started crawling at that time) Instead of following my gut, I listened to them.

2 days later, he began breathing heavily and his heart stopped. He died in my arms.

I switched vets.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
friday1's Avatar Veteran
When we took our GSD puppy for his first shots, the vet tried to clip his nails. She was very rough and scared him. She told us in a snotty voice that he was spoiled. He was 8 weeks old!!!! To the day he passed away, he hated having his nails clipped. (We always did it ourselves after that). It was a vet group, and we made sure she never saw him again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search