Starting the new year off with a black eye...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hart_N_Sole
As I posted in my May plaryoom, our day was definitely not as good as we had hoped... My husband ended up giving me a black eye (on accident) while in the process of trying to grab his Bull Terrier, who literally attacked and was trying to kill one of our cats. Now I am sporting a real nice shiner, as well as a sore cheek and brow bone; and the dog was removed from our home... I will NOT tolerate that kind of behavior, that dog was dangerous.

I hope the year starts getting better... And I hope all of you had a pleasant New Year's.
January 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow what in the world happened? Aside from being a little sore are you okay? And is your cat okay?
January 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Wow what in the world happened? Aside from being a little sore are you okay? And is your cat okay?[/b]
Yes, I am okay... My cheek is still puffy and sore, but I'm okay. Nadia is alright as well, she is just shaken up and missing some hair... The dog ripped it right out of her back...

As for what happened, we're unsure, as we had stepped outside the door to get our sons from the car... When we opened the door to go back inside, we heard a commotion, and she was trying her best to kill our cat. The only reason she had not ripped her open is because I had - thank goodness - muzzled her earlier due to some undesired behavior. She's been getting worse and worse, and this was the icing on the cake as far as her staying here... She was a dangerous, untrustworthy dog.

January 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I'm sorry! I know you said your hubby was so excited to have her as he had always wanted one. I hope you guys are able to make a decision that works for your family. Good luck and glad your kitty is okay (uhh minus some missing fur).
January 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry! I know you said your hubby was so excited to have her as he had always wanted one. I hope you guys are able to make a decision that works for your family. Good luck and glad your kitty is okay (uhh minus some missing fur).[/b]
Thanks Meghan.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
oh wow sounds like an interesting one indeed. sorry about the cat too. You know some dogs CAn be trained out of trying to kill cats and some jsut CAN'T. My oldest male woudl try to exterminate every cat he saw when we first got him.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Thanks Teresa...

Sadly for both my husband AND the dog, she was one of those dogs whose prey drive was so incredibly high, there was no reversing it. She would stand at the garage door for HOURS upon HOURS, just staring at the door, shaking, and obsessing over the cats on the other side of the door - this was when they were locked away from her. When the other dogs would walk by, she would get rigid and growl at them... The attack to kill was the last straw after weeks of trying to work it out of her... What if that had been one of our children, instead of a cat?? Or what if Connor had accidentally gotten in the way??

My husband is really upset, understandably... I told him we will look for a PUPPY for him, so we can bring it up around the cats and children, and not bring in an adult who is already set in it's ways... Wish it had been different, I really do. But it is what it is.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks Teresa...

Sadly for both my husband AND the dog, she was one of those dogs whose prey drive was so incredibly high, there was no reversing it. She would stand at the garage door for HOURS upon HOURS, just staring at the door, shaking, and obsessing over the cats on the other side of the door - this was when they were locked away from her. When the other dogs would walk by, she would get rigid and growl at them... The attack to kill was the last straw after weeks of trying to work it out of her... What if that had been one of our children, instead of a cat?? Or what if Connor had accidentally gotten in the way??

My husband is really upset, understandably... I told him we will look for a PUPPY for him, so we can bring it up around the cats and children, and not bring in an adult who is already set in it's ways... Wish it had been different, I really do. But it is what it is. [/b]
Or look into a rescue that fosters that particular breed in their home and knows for sure if it's good with cats, kids, etc. The leap between the dog having a high pray drive for a small cat is huge compared to it going after a child. But the rescue I work with we do not board the rescues at all they all live in foster homes, most of us have cats and the foster that I have now is a good year and a half and I can say without any doubt that he has no problems with cats, dogs, or kids and is a great family dog. So there's another idea too looking for a breed specific rescue. Good luck!
January 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
OH gosh, well I'm sorry again. And yeah I'd of worried too that one of the kiddos might of gotten hurt too. I know I sure got an eye opener when I got my oldest male. Granted his first home was a nightmare, complete with abuse, and him being taught to kill everything he saw (until he decided the chickens he was supposed to be guarding were pretty tatsy, lol). It took a good while to gradually get ALL those bad habits trained out of him, and we still have the odd not liking other males thing we deal with on occassion. I know rescue is wonderful and I help with that when ever i can, but if I was looking for a long time fam pet, I'd either get one that had already been worked with by a foster home and was proven, or start off with a clean slate and a pup.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I'm really sorry that happened. That is definately not the way you want to bring in the new year. I hope you are feeling better and I'm glad your cat is okay!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
January 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm just curious. What actions do you have to take for something like this? Does the dog have to be put down?

January 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
OH gosh, well I'm sorry again. And yeah I'd of worried too that one of the kiddos might of gotten hurt too. I know I sure got an eye opener when I got my oldest male. Granted his first home was a nightmare, complete with abuse, and him being taught to kill everything he saw (until he decided the chickens he was supposed to be guarding were pretty tatsy, lol). It took a good while to gradually get ALL those bad habits trained out of him, and we still have the odd not liking other males thing we deal with on occassion. I know rescue is wonderful and I help with that when ever i can, but if I was looking for a long time fam pet, I'd either get one that had already been worked with by a foster home and was proven, or start off with a clean slate and a pup.[/b]
Yeah for me the rescue I foster for does not board any of the dogs, they are ALL in personal private foster homes living with families so that we can tell the potential owners anything and everything we know about them the good bad and ugly. In my case I have 2 cats, a female dog, and a male puppy, as well as a 6 year old human child so whatever dog I have fostering in my home is a good versatile family pet for sure.
January 4th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
I'm just curious. What actions do you have to take for something like this? Does the dog have to be put down?[/b]
Oh no, we didn't have her put down... I took her back to the shelter we adopted her from and informed them of what had happened with the cat. Sadly, when I arrived, they knew exactly who she was, she has been in and out of the shelter so much... I told them straight up, NO CATS or other small animals, she'll kill. She'd probably do best in a home with an older couple, no kids or other animals... She needs to be the only pet.
January 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Oh no, we didn't have her put down... I took her back to the shelter we adopted her from and informed them of what had happened with the cat. Sadly, when I arrived, they knew exactly who she was, she has been in and out of the shelter so much... I told them straight up, NO CATS or other small animals, she'll kill. She'd probably do best in a home with an older couple, no kids or other animals... She needs to be the only pet.[/b]
Oh ok. I was just curious because I had never been in that kind of situation before and didn't know what had to be done. That's really sad. I hope they can find a home that is suitable for her. Are you feeling any better? I hope your eye is looking better!

January 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Oh ok. I was just curious because I had never been in that kind of situation before and didn't know what had to be done. That's really sad. I hope they can find a home that is suitable for her. Are you feeling any better? I hope your eye is looking better![/b]
It's our hope, too, that the perfect home comes along that will suit her needs... I'm sitting here right now, watching my toddler pull a toy around and the cat that was attacked chase after the toy... Connor thinks its hysterical that the cat will chase after him, LOL... I am so grateful that she is okay.

I'm doing much better... My cheek bone is still very sore, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search