Toddler mauling my cats!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to hannybunny86
Hi I'm hannah, I have a 2year old ds and nearly 5month old dd.
We had 2 cats and ds seemed to have really chilled out with them, so much so that we decided to get a kitten. Since we got her he's been awful with all the cats, chasing them, screaming in their faces, picking them up by their hair, pulling their tails, even jumping trying to stomp on them. He really is torturing them. I've tried reasoning with him but he's only just turned 2 and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. We've tried time outs but e 4gets wat ez done b4 we get him to sit down. I'm starting to scream and shout myself!
Short of policing him 24/7 I don't know what to do.

Any tips would be really appreciated
January 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Well if telling him isn't working, I'd bust his little behind, make it clear that abusing animals is a BIG no no and provide a safe room for the cats to go to where he can't get 'em.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Well if telling him isn't working, I'd bust his little behind, make it clear that abusing animals is a BIG no no and provide a safe room for the cats to go to where he can't get 'em.[/b]
The safe room idea's great I'll put a stairgate on the door of the spare room cuz the litter tray's in there already. Not sure I'll smack him as I think he might be after the attention and he acts out afterward. I'm definitely at the stage where I'm gonna snap and do it though!

Thanks
January 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I truly do not mean any offense by this but you chose to have child and you chose to have animals and yes a child can at times require 24/7 policing that is waht being a parent and a responsible pet owner is all about. If you put him in time out make the time out stand otherwise he will learn that what you say is hog wash and walk all over you. And I'm sorry but trying to reason with a 2 year old is absurd, you do not reason with children that young it's impossible, you implement consequences for negative behaviour and you teach him the right way to pet kitty. Show him, and tell him that's the nice way to pet the kitty and when you catch him doing it the nice way praise him. When you catch him being mean to them tell him that he is not allowed to treat the cats that way it is mean, and put him in the corner for 2 minutes, if he gets up put him back and his time does not start until he is actually sitting in the corner, chair, whatever you decide is to be the time out place, and if it takes you an hour of putting him back there then it takes an hour eventually he will realize that you mean business and the time out stands. But also the cats and your child should NEVER be left alone together for both of their safety you should be watching them 100% of the time and if you cannot then kitties need to be put in a safe room where your son cannot get to them or your son needs to be put in his room where he cannot get to them, otherwise, yes parenting and responsible pet ownership IS a 24/7 policing job at times, especially if you have been putting him in the corner and then allowing him to leave when he so chooses and not being consistent with your punishments. And yes I have been there done that, I had 3 cats from the time my son was born until he was almost 6 years old, now he is over 6 and we have 2 as we lost one, but he knows that he is not allowed to harm them or there are serious consequences around here for hurting either the dogs or the cats.
January 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Veteran
he's settled right down with them all, he's gone back to being brilliant with them! Think it was the excitement of the new kitten.

Thanks 4 all your advice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search