Grading Your Dog Food

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hart_N_Sole
A friend who is a breeder/handler showed me an interesting website on how to "grade" dog food.
Thought I would share...

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâ?Ts rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points
9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 morepoints
10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points
11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or
nutritionist, add 5 points
3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points
9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than
the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69-0 = F

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Beneful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A
January 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
yep that's a good one to go by!

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Did you notice the Kirkland Signature is an A+? I'm very pleasantly surprised!
January 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, it is a VERY good food for the money. I pay $18 for a 40 pound bag of the chicken and rice and $1 more for the lamb and rice! My personal dogs eat Canidae but my fosters eat the Kirkland and I have yet to have a dog turn it down. I personally feel Canidae is better for maintaining weight (which my female has issues doing) and it's an All Life Stages so I don't need to buy 2 seperate foods for her and our puppy, but Kirkland has always done well with my fosters and actually my personal dogs did well on it when I fed it to them too I just needed something to help with weight loss and it was failing miserably at that. Great food though I highly recommend it especially for the price!
January 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Is Kirkland really that reasonable? Shoot I'm paying about that price for the same amount for my current food at the feed store. Can you get at petco?

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Is Kirkland really that reasonable? Shoot I'm paying about that price for the same amount for my current food at the feed store. Can you get at petco?[/b]
Kirkland food is Costco's brand. Costco, the wholesale store (like Sam's club but different), so no you cannot buy it anywhere but Costco and you have to have a membership. Yeah I pay $18 for the Chicken and Rice for the 40 pound bag and $19 for the Lamb and Rice for the 40 pound bag. But yeah Kirkland is Costco's personal brand so you can only purchase it at a Costco Club store (they do not sell it on their website either it's strictly in the store).
January 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Is Kirkland really that reasonable? Shoot I'm paying about that price for the same amount for my current food at the feed store. Can you get at petco?[/b]
Kirkland food is Costco's brand. Costco, the wholesale store (like Sam's club but different), so no you cannot buy it anywhere but Costco and you have to have a membership. Yeah I pay $18 for the Chicken and Rice for the 40 pound bag and $19 for the Lamb and Rice for the 40 pound bag. But yeah Kirkland is Costco's personal brand so you can only purchase it at a Costco Club store (they do not sell it on their website either it's strictly in the store).

[/b]
He he that would explain me not being abel to find in at PetCo tonight. ha ha Honeslty though I was severaly dissappointed in their selection of dog food. I'll just stickw ith my Red Flannel

January 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
He he that would explain me not being abel to find in at PetCo tonight. ha ha Honeslty though I was severaly dissappointed in their selection of dog food. I'll just stickw ith my Red Flannel
[/b]
A good rule of thumb, foods sold at PetSmart and PetCo (minus Solid Gold which PetCol now carries) are crap and not worth the money nor worth feeding.
January 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
A good rule of thumb, foods sold at PetSmart and PetCo (minus Solid Gold which PetCol now carries) are crap and not worth the money nor worth feeding.[/b]
Ditto that!
January 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I feed my dog this raw organic food - i swear she eats better than i do! but she wouldnt eat anything else......it's raw and you buy it frozen, it kinda looks almost like ground beef strings but just cut up to be about an inch long each. It's SO nutritious for her - she has a liver shunt so I think it's pretty good for her as the majority of it is absorbed and there isnt a lot of junk in it that needs to be filtered out. bonus - due to high absorption her poops are few and far between (and small - i call em tootsie rolls LOL ok that was TMI)

This is the food i feed
The Ultimate Diet

The links to find out about the food are along the bottom and tops of the pages.......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search