New here,..

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
RobynH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!
I am new to this board, But i post on the July 2006 PR. My name is Robyn and my daughter Carlea is one and a half.
I have a mini schnauzer who is 3. Over the last 6 months or so, my dog has been showing signs of diabetes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
I cannot leave out a full large bowl of water as my dog will drink the entire thing, and then will pee non stop, i have actually caught her drinking and peeing at the same time. She will wake in the night crying in her kennel and i will take her outside, thinking she needs to pee, and she goes nuts eating the snow. Once she has a drink, it's threw her in about 20 mins. her weight has also been fluctuating alot. Just before Christmas she got so skinny that she could fit through my staircase railings, but now she gets stuck at her ribcage, That's how much weight she lost, and re-gained quickly. She eat's well, and seem's to be somewhat normal, but she is constantly drinking and constantly peeing. She also pee's in the house because she is peeing so often.
THanks in advance for reading and any advice you may have.

January 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This may be a stupid question but have you taken him/her to a vet? A quick blood test can tell them what's wrong and if you're right there is medication for it and they can go on to live a happy normal life. In the mean time whatever it is may be causing additional body or organ damage. Take him/her to the vet ASAP.
January 7th, 2008, 11:05 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Welcome to the board. I have no expirence with diabetes in pets, but it really sounds like you need to get her to the vet soon

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Hello, and welcome to the board.

I am in agreeance with the other ladies, a trip to your local veterinarian is needed for your dog. Blood tests can rule out diabetes and a number of other conditions that the vet may test for... I actually did go through something similar with one of my dogs, my male German Shepherd, Emmett. He was obsessed with water, had fluxuating diarrhea and normal stool, and he was dropping weight day by day and became a walking skeleton... I had blood work run on him, my vet tried deworming him... Nothing. I finally pulled him off of his food and put him on Innova EVO by recommendation of my local natural pet food provider. The ingredients are the closest thing to the raw diet that there is, without feeding raw. He still drinks quite a bit, but his stools have never been better and he has gained quite a bit of weight! He's till on the thinner side, but he IS a show line Shepherd, and he is still young... Hopefully in time, he will gain a little more...

The best advice we can give you is to get your pupper into the vet... Let us know how it goes!

January 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
RobynH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice ladies! I do plan on taking her to the vet soon. I was at the doctor's today and got a few test sticks to test glucose level's in her urine,..So as soon as i can collect a sample,..I will start checking the glucose levels.

January 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Carie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Carie
My dh had a dog before we were together. Well after we got married he developed Diabetes. He had the exact same symptoms as your dog. I mean he would drink non-stop and then just go to the bathroom right there. He went blind because of cateracts and so he couldn't find the door. But It is very hard to see your dog go through something like this. He was great for a while when we had him on insulin. He was an extremely old dog. I think he was like 16 or so. But I bet that once you take your doggie into the vet, they will get something for her and make her feel better. I am happy to hear that she is in good spirits. KUP!!!! And welcome fellow DDC member! I just came here yesterday too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search