Took Lucky to the vet today..

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
DF and I noticed that she had worms in her BM's so we took her today this morning ASAP. She was treated for fleas a few weeks ago, so the vet says that she got them from the fleas. So we gave her another treatment for fleas since she still had a few. And gave her a Cortizone shot since she is highly allergic to them. And are going back in 2 weeks to start treatment on the worms. We have to make sure the fleas are good and dead first or it will just be pointless. We gave her a new medication that kills fleas instantly that she takes orally. So far, I guess its working since we are seeing dead fleas on the ends of her fur. We are also treating the dog and rabbit for the fleas as well as the carpet.

We also have a new vet for Oreo(rabbit) who comes highly reccomended, so we can get him checked out and make sure he has a clean bill of health.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
January 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear that. make sure to flea bomb your house as well otherwise treating the animals will be a moot point. My rule is no furry pets of any kind in my home unless they have been treated with Frontline Plus or Advantage at least 48 hours in advance plus my dogs are all treated with frontline Plus monthly as well as my fosters. If you need a place to find it reasonably priced, try e-bay, which is where I get all of mine, just make sure it is EPA approved. If you need any tips please PM me, I had an infestation once, I have dogs, cats, and I am personally highly allergic to them so it definitely wasn't fun LoL.

Good luck.

PS
If you have her on something like Frontline or Advantage as well as the oral, I would think you could go back in 2-3 days to get the worms taken care of. IMO two weeks is WAY too long. And it isn't all fleas that cause worms, same as it isn't all mosquitos that cause West Nile. So yeah, I would definitely request deworming treatment in 2-3 days and not 2 weeks. JMHO.
January 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Quote:
If you have her on something like Frontline or Advantage as well as the oral, I would think you could go back in 2-3 days to get the worms taken care of. IMO two weeks is WAY too long. And it isn't all fleas that cause worms, same as it isn't all mosquitos that cause West Nile. So yeah, I would definitely request deworming treatment in 2-3 days and not 2 weeks. JMHO.[/b]

I didnt even think about that. I was just so worried about the worms and her not eating as much, but drinking more water, and the fact that she wasnt peeing as much either. I thought they were going to tell me she was dying or something that I honestly didnt even think about questioning the 2 weeks in waiting. Maybe I should call them Monday and see if I can set it up before hand. Thanks so much!!!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
January 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
If you have her on something like Frontline or Advantage as well as the oral, I would think you could go back in 2-3 days to get the worms taken care of. IMO two weeks is WAY too long. And it isn't all fleas that cause worms, same as it isn't all mosquitos that cause West Nile. So yeah, I would definitely request deworming treatment in 2-3 days and not 2 weeks. JMHO.[/b]

I didnt even think about that. I was just so worried about the worms and her not eating as much, but drinking more water, and the fact that she wasnt peeing as much either. I thought they were going to tell me she was dying or something that I honestly didnt even think about questioning the 2 weeks in waiting. Maybe I should call them Monday and see if I can set it up before hand. Thanks so much!!!
[/b]
I would because that's something that's contagious to you, other animals, and children if you have any. Make sure to WASH YOUR HANDS A LOT, all bedding in HOT water and preferably bleach if it can be bleached, make sure to clean your floors REALLY well. I would personally just worm all of your animals, typically it's one pill and you're good to go no big deal (at least I know the rescues we get in they de-worm them all it's just one big honkin' pill and they're done). And then make sure everything is cleaned up REALLY well otherwise they'll get infected again. Yeah worms is not something I would be letting hang around my house for 2 weeks, especially if I had other animals, but that's not something you want to catch as well. Good luck! And the chances of her being reinfected if you are treating for the fleas now is very slim. If it were me, I would request to take her back in Monday and get it done with.
January 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Best of luck getting rid of those fleas, and treating the worms!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search