Pregnant with Cats

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello All!

I just found out that I and pregnant and I am concerned about the baby and the cats. I have 2 one year old cats in the apartment that need a lot of attention. I also live alone so there is no one else at home to change the litter. Please, please, please share some advice on what I can do so that everyone is happy and safe. Any thoughts?
January 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hello All!

I just found out that I and pregnant and I am concerned about the baby and the cats. I have 2 one year old cats in the apartment that need a lot of attention. I also live alone so there is no one else at home to change the litter. Please, please, please share some advice on what I can do so that everyone is happy and safe. Any thoughts?[/b]
There is no concern with changing litter as long as your cats are indoor cats all of the time. Your cats contract toxoplasmosis via eating mice, they are a parasite that lives on the mice, the cat eats the mice, then poops and the parasites live in the poop and when you scoop it it can stir them up and that's how you would contract it. And it's actually only a problem if you have never been exposed to it before. There are blood tests taht can determine if you have ever had it and if you have then there is no worry at all. But if your cats are 100% indoors then you have nothing to worry about at all.

When I was pregnant, my husband was deployed very very frequently (was military at the time) and I scooped the box on a regular basis for 3 cats, but they were all indoors all of the time. My baby was born at 43 weeks at 9 pounds and 200% healthy.

If they are not indoors maybe make them that way for the duration of your pregnancy.

Good luck!
January 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Meghan has pretty much covered it all, as far as toxoplasmosis goes... If you are still concerned, though, you can always pick up some gloves and painters masks, and use them when cleaning the litterboxes. You'll be fine. Good luck with your pregnancy.
January 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! Thank you! Thanks so much ladies! Really, what a relief! My cats are 100% house cats. Also, I wasn't sure what to do so I did pick up the gloves and the dust mask and have been using them for the past couple of days! Thanks again ladies, I feel so much better now.
January 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Super Mommy
I'm not worried. For one thing, my cats rarely use the litter box. But I've heard that if you've had cats for a while, you've already been exposed to toxoplasmosis, and so you won't get it during your pregnancy.
January 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I may sound REALLY dumb here....Max is an indoor cat, but this winter he has caught and killed 2 mice.....(didn't eat them though...ugh)
so would I need to be worried? ( I am still cleaning out the litterbox)

January 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I may sound REALLY dumb here....Max is an indoor cat, but this winter he has caught and killed 2 mice.....(didn't eat them though...ugh)
so would I need to be worried? ( I am still cleaning out the litterbox)[/b]
Yes there is no way to tell if he ingested the parasite or not. but you only need to be worried for the first 2-3 bowel movements. So if this was weeks ago, any possible danger has long been gone.

Just curious why has he caught mice if he is an indoor cat? I would think mice in your home would be an issue that you may want to take care of (traps or bait or something)?
January 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Quote:
Quote:
Yes there is no way to tell if he ingested the parasite or not. but you only need to be worried for the first 2-3 bowel movements. So if this was weeks ago, any possible danger has long been gone.

Just curious why has he caught mice if he is an indoor cat? I would think mice in your home would be an issue that you may want to take care of (traps or bait or something)?
[/b]
well sometimes out in the country, you get one or 2...and yes we have set a trap...its not like it NEVER happens and the issue is not addressed. I knew I'd get that kind of a response. unreal

January 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
well sometimes out in the country, you get one or 2...and yes we have set a trap...its not like it NEVER happens and the issue is not addressed. I knew I'd get that kind of a response. unreal
[/b]
Don't have to get defensive you'd be amazed at what I have seen with people being okay with mice living in their homes. And I was curious as I lived in the country for 5 years and only had 1 mouse in 5 years so I was curious. It was just a question, I didn't mean it offensively, some people are just okay with rodents and some aren't...I'm one that isn't but I have an aquaintence that leaves food out for the mice that live in her walls so ya just never know nowadays.

But to answer your question, yes if your cats have any mouth body contact with a mouse they can contract the parasite and you should take precautions in that case, but it only lasts 2-3 days in their systems.
January 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Zabs's Avatar Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Zabs
Thanks for asking that question, Eden. I'm not pregnant but TTC and I had been worried about this as well. I've been having my husband clean the litterboxes for the past few months in the event I became pregnant. Shhhhh.....we just won't share this newfound information with him!

For those of you that do have cats...

I've also heard it can be a problem with the cat wanting to lie next the baby and making it hard for them to breathe through the fur. Has this been an issue for anyone or is this another "wivestale"?

I've been hit by ragmama!
January 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks for asking that question, Eden. I'm not pregnant but TTC and I had been worried about this as well. I've been having my husband clean the litterboxes for the past few months in the event I became pregnant. Shhhhh.....we just won't share this newfound information with him!

I've also heard it can be a problem with the cat wanting to lie next the baby and making it hard for them to breathe through the fur. Has this been an issue for anyone or is this another "wivestale"?[/b]
It's an oldwives tale. Actually the old wives tale is that the cat will want to drink the milk from the baby's lips and will curl up to go to slepe on the baby's face and smother it. 200% not true. I'm not sure having kitty sleep inside your infant's crib while they are sleeping is the best idea until the child is old enough to roll over on their own, but babies cry, move, pull and pinch even new borns, most cats won't stick around that long.

PS
I had 3 cats when my son was a baby baby, one of which was close to 20 pounds, another that was/is around 16 pounds, and another that's around 10 pounds...none of them ever smothered my son.
January 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:

I've also heard it can be a problem with the cat wanting to lie next the baby and making it hard for them to breathe through the fur. Has this been an issue for anyone or is this another "wivestale"?[/b]
It's an old wivestale. More often than not, the cats want to get AWAY from the baby, because they don't like the crying and fussing... I have four cats, that range from 12 lbs to 25 lbs, and none of them have ever been a problem with our sons.

Good luck TTC!
January 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
My dr told me that if you have had cats for years that you are immune to it. I changed the litter box with DS and Im changing it now.

Dee... I had mice and I lived in the city, so ha! I lived with roomies. My roomie used to follow Tevye around with a glass jar and they would go mouse hunting. lol We were teens and odd. It was fun for Tevye.. and my roomie til the day we came home and tevye had caught another mouse.. and my roomie was praising him til she looked up and saw that the door to her mouse cage was open and he was not there....lol

As for the cat taking babys breath or smelling milk thing... stupid.

I had no problem with DS with my "then" two cats. However the door to the nursery was closed when the baby was in there and while he slept in my room when he was first born, kitties had to sleep elsewhere.

I also allowed the cats free run of the nursery until the baby came. I was told to do this so that the curiosity of the cat passes by the time the baby gets there. worked fine.

I used a baby doll in the crib to teach them if the baby was in the crib they couldnt get in it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Super Mommy
I have a 5 month old and was a little concerned too when I was first preggo-I have 3 cats that I dearly love and was not about to get rid of them. They have NOT been a problem at all and actually is so much fun to have! My son smiles and cracks up whenever he sees them . He LOVES them so much.

My doctor said that it is wonderful to have animals in the home because they build immunities against allergies in babies and infants. My cats actually are a little scared of him anyway and wouldn't even think about coming near him. Keep your kitties-your baby will be happy!

January 22nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Regular
I always had cats, but never cleaned the litter box cause they were indoor/outdoor. We lived with my mother in law for about 6 months due to, certain things happening, and during that time found out I was pregnant.

She has three indoor cats that never go outside, but I was still careful. Mainly out of habit, that and I wasnt going to clean up after them (thats a whole long story on that one)

Anyways, everyone else is pretty much right on everything, but I'd still be careful with the cats around. Or any animal personally. Its true, its old wives tales and the majority of cats do want to run away from babies (can ya blame them sometimes, lol)

However, one of my mother in laws cats would be one you'd have to worry about. No nothing like the wives tales out there, but my brother and sister in law went though some of the same stuff we did and had to stay with mother/in law when the baby was born. The one cat actually DID crawl into the bassinet with the baby and layed ontop of him.

Please please dont freak out (I tend to do that sometimes, lol) the cat wasnt doing anything more than looking for a warm place to sleep (my mother in law keeps it flippin' cold in that house, no idea why) so its nothing like what you hear.

But like everyone else already said, theres nothing to be worried about, and im sure your dr. can lay to rest concerns also.

Besides, you know your cats best! Im sure you'll be able to tell right off just by watching them how they will react to the baby. There your babies to after all. Id say something like what my mother in laws cat did is something the majority of cats wouldnt do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search