How do I get my dog to stop...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Carie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Carie
Ok my dog lady refuses to eat the dry food we put out for her. She will eat it on occasion. But we have gotten her use to eating the canned food. Well the only way she will eat it is to be spoon fed. So I would like her to eat the dry food. Has anyone dealt with this problem? And also should I just stop feeding her the canned food and see what happens?

January 16th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is she healthy? If your dog is a healthy dog, stop feeding her anything other than what you want her to eat which is the dry food as I undertand. Put the dry food down sometime in the morning for 20 minutes then pick it up, repeat this process every 12 hours or so and do not feed anything else (treats, table scraps, canned food, etc) until she eats. A healthy dog will never allow itself to starve to death, it's humans that flip out. No your dog does not need to be spoon fed, you want to spoon feed the dog. A dog will not allow itself to starve.

Also, I would recommend a good high quality kibble such as Canidae, Wellness, California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, or the like as if you are feeding a cheap food and it upsets the dog's stomach she may be turning her nose up for that reason.

So put the food down every 12 hours and I promsie she will eat. It may take 2-3 days she will not starve in that amount of time, but you also need to stop feeding anything other than what you want her to eat until she does eat it.

I warn against using this tactic for too long, but you can also add a little bit of meat baby food (2.5 ounce jars that will say chicken and chicken broth or beef and beef broth and the only ingredients is finely gound chicken or beef and broth from that meat, they rund around 78 cents each), like 1/4 of a tsp per 1 cup of food to the kibble. I have yet to find a dog who would not eat this, but I caution against it because you could then create a dog who always wants the babyfood and then you're just causing another problem.

Good luck!
January 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Yeah what Mommie said sounds good to me lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Unless there is some medical reason she needs the canned, I'd cut her off of it. Put the dry down and don't feed her nothing else, she'll eat when she gets hungry. She's got y'all trained. LOL

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search