Great Danes

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Holley_Richardson's Avatar Member
Ok I am new here... however I saw this group and thought maybe someone else out there was a Dane Lover too!

I have 2 Danes... Maggie (who we sadly need to let move on to a new home), and Tiffie. Then there is Hopie the Maltese and Bitta the Peke.

Maggie has become "Small Pet Agressive" - we have started really watching her with the kids, and seems to not be bothered with them, and is as gentle as can be. BUT I am scared she will change her tune.

I contacted the Humane Society They will mark her as violent... as well as our local rescue (MAGDRL) no one is responding from there. At this point I have to keep both the Danes kennelled or Maggie screams to be let out. I don't know what else to do!

Anyone have ideas???
January 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
What exactly is Maggie doing?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
She attacked our Maltese. She growls at her and then picks her up and shakes her!

The vet says it is just a small animal issue... and I don't need to worry about the kids. However I still worry!

I know we need to get rid of her. But I don't know who to call next, and the Humane Society will put her down!!!
January 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Have you tried any breed specific rescues? I see you mentioned MAGDRL already, but here are some links I found when I did a search...

Eastern Shore Animal Rescue League

MAGDRL - NJ - Links to other rescue groups.

I wish you luck. I had a friend with a Dane who became aggressive with small animals, and actually killed one of her tiny dogs right before her eyes...
January 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with your vet, there is a HUGE leap between being animal (small or otherwise) aggressive and people agreesive.

If you need to get rid of her because you have small animals that's one thing but I would not get rid of her because of the children if she is fine with them.

I agree with the above, try Dane specific rescues in your area. They more than likely will not label her as aggressive they will simply state that she cannot be placed with small animals. I would go with a breed specific rescue over the Humane Society or AC&C first regardless of anything else.

Good luck.
January 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
There could be any reason as to why she does that to your maltease.

Casper did that to Smokie a few times. (Casper is a boxer, Smokie was a small cocker)
The first time he did it when we brought smokie home from the groomers and all his hair had been cut off. Casper didnt want to let him in the house, he didnt realize it was him. His scent was gone, he was wearing some kinda groomers cologue. He attacked him outside. Smokie was all right, and so was Casper once he realized it was him.

Smokie had seizures. If he had a seizure outside Casper would pick him up by his neck and shake him. Im not sure if he was trying to wake him, or if he was trying to take out the leader of the pack at his weakest moment. I had researched it and have read that when the higher dog in the pack is weak that the lower dogs try to conquer it to go up in rank.

Which dog did you have first?

Im not saying this is your problem, but you may want to do some research on it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The reason we are getting rid of her is because Hopie has been with us for 11 years. She is old and Maggie is almost 2. More likely to be placed... Plus we have a 4 lb peke.

She is a sweetheart BUT I wont let her hurt Hopie or Bitta again. So she is crated and it is not right... nor is it fair to her or her sister that is NOT agressive. BUT I can not listen to her scream when she is crated and Tiffie is not.

I have tried the breed specific as well as some other open breed rescues. No one will call me back or email me back!
I dont have many other choices! I am going to have to take her to the Humane society next week. My husband wont let her stay any longer! This issue has now cost us over $3000 in vet bills for Hopie and training for her! Yet the Training did not work!
January 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Where did you get her from? If she is from a breeder the breeder should take her back, same as a rescue unless you went to a back yard breeder. Not to mention any reputable person or organization should have warned you (or no offense but you should have researched) that this can happen with large breeds and many organizations as well as breeders are leary of placing large breed dogs with small (pray type) animals. You really need to do your homework before bringing a new pet into the home.

And BTW, since danes only live to be around 6-7 years old, don't be so sure a 2 year old is so easy for them to place. It may be easiER, but not necessarily easy either. Since you decided to take her in, and now deciding to rehome her (you could always rotate dogs so that the ones that do not get along are never alone together, whether that be via kennels, or one outside, one in, whatever, it isn't ideal but until the rescues call you back it is definitely do-able), it is your responsibility as a responsbile pet owner to make sure she gets rehomed and doesn't end up killed because you made a mistake. as for the whining in the kennel, it is because they are not crate trained and it should subside in a week or so. You could try putting a stuffed toy in with the dog a Kong filled with something to occupy them, can they go outside instead of the crate?

I truly do not mean for this to sound harsh so please do not take it as such, but the fact of the matter is you chose to either buy or adopt this dog, you very obviously did not do your research on a large breed dog living with small animals, and now you realize your mistake but you're considering taking the dog to the Humane Society where you know they will kill her. That just doesn't sound very right to me. I agree you should not put your other dogs in danger, however you can rotate dogs via outside, inside, and crates so that they all get out of crate time, in the house time, and outside exercise time. AS I mentioned it isn't the ideal situation but for 4-6 weeks until the rescue calls or e-mails you back it is do-able if you really want to try. Have you tried re-homing her yourself by putting up fliers and such? I would have no problem taking a dog like that as I have 70+ pound dogs and no small ones, there's nothing wrong with her she just sees small dogs as toys, if she is in a home w/o small dogs she will probably be fine.

Also what type of training have you done? Have you taken a making yourself alpha approach? What kinds of freedoms does she have? Is she allowed to get on furniture? Do you feed her first or last? Is she trained at all (you mentioned you paid for training what kind of training)?

Where do you live (state)? I can see if I can find any rescues there. But really, just because you made uninformed choices shouldn't mean a dog's death IMO.
January 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hart_N_Sole
I'm also curious as to what type of training you invested in... Was it a legit trainer, or was this just a course that Petco or PetsMart provided? Have you kept up with it, even after classes subsided? Obedience should be practiced every day... It's like homework for your dog.

Have you heard of NILIF training? You might give it a whirl with your Dane...
Here is a link: Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF)

Avoid circumstances that elicit the aggression -- at least temporarily. Later you'll be able to work on desensitization, but only after you've gotten the dog's cooperation, not resistance.

Maintain an aloof attitude toward the dog. This is accomplished quite easily by crating the dog (or isolating it from the family in a small area with a babygate). This crating will be 90% or more of the time for a few weeks.

Two-three times a day for 3-5 minutes maximum practice QUICK sits and downs for food. (If you don't know how to train this, go to a class.) You are working for speed and attitude here -- so reward correct behavior generously with praise and food. If your dog has fear problems, ignore or minimize the need for corrections. Don't make these training sessions a chore -- they should be fast and fun, not a battle. When the dog is IMMEDIATELY and CONSISTENTLY and with ANTICIPATION obeying the commands, she is ready for the meat of the NILIF program.

At first, priveleges are still restricted, but you'll gradually be able to add priveleges. Don't rush things -- if you have a bad day, just go back to the prior level where things were successful and start over. Don't go from confinement/isolation to full house priveleges in a day -- keep doors shut, start with limited amount of "free time".

NILIF -- Nothing in life is free. This means the dog must PERFORM to get anything it wants.
"Wanna cookie?" -- nothing in life is free, so the dog must "down" on command for the cookie. (BTW -- when you start introducing NILIF, carry food AT ALL TIMES -- you're still rewarding the dog for submitting - this is NONCONFRONTATIONAL. Reward for a LONG time, then wean off food sporadically, but still praise the behavior.) "Wanna go outside?" - dog must "down". "Wanna drink of water?" -- that's right. You're catching on. The dog gets NO freebies. She must *earn* everything -- food, play, petting, water, going out, going for a r-i-d-e, getting T-R-E-A-T-S, coming inside.

Another link: NILIF - A Hands-Off Approach to Being A Good Pack Leader

In the meantime, I agree with Meghan... Rotate the dogs, to make sure the two that don't get along are not out at the same time... It's more work, but it will eliminate the chance of someone getting hurt or killed.

Good luck!
January 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Ok lets get this taken care of really quick...

I am a long time Dane owner. I have always had Danes and small animals. Maggie came after 2 years of searching! The breeder is willing to take her back... However She just had a baby... and due to divorce, closed down breeding. That is how I got Tiffie. She was going to keep her till her husband was caught with another woman!
So the Breeder in question is WONDERFUL. However with a NEW like 2 week old baby... I WONT ask her to take her back, as she is also my friend!

I have been looking for a rescue to take her for over 4 months. As well as attempting to place her with a good home. I CAN NOT and WILL NOT ask her to be crated for so long.

I used AAA Training. They have trained ALL my animals and Shane is wonderful. He has come back out at NO cost to me to see what is happening. When he is there she acts right and goes NO WHERE near Hopie!

This is NOT optional. My best friend is a Vet Tech... She and I have tried to place her!!! This is not something that we normally do... I ran a mix breed rescue for years with my friend. We NEVER had this many issues!!!

Not trying to be nasty... BUT I think you all got the WRONGGGGG idea!
January 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I agree with ONE point...I'd try to continue getting in touch with Dane rescues.....

sorry you have to deal with this, it is hard to have to give up a pet. Sometimes it happens to responsible pet owners and can not be avoided. Good Luck to you.

January 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hart_N_Sole
To the OP...

We were in no way trying to belittle you... You asked for help with your Dane, we provided the best answers we could offer for what you have told us. Speaking for myself, I was in no way trying to get across that you are an unfit pet owner. I apologize if it came off that way.

I really don't know what advice to offer you at this point. If your little dog is in constant danger, then I'd probably contact the Humane Society and just have them take her and hope for the best. If the Dane is a problem, a liability of any sort, there is no reason to keep her around.

JMO. Good luck.
January 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I am not mad... It did feel like I was being made to look like a bad pet owner... But everyone has an opinion.

I just thought maybe someone who would read this had another idea that I had not already tried... Obviously the rescues out here are semi worthless when it comes to getting help when you need to place a healthy happy animal... My sister even had the idea to report abuse to get them to respond~ which I refused!!! LOL Then they would take my babies! I wont have that.

Really we have tried it all and I felt I needed to make 1 more effort before calling the CCHS to take her in there. I am Anti Humane societies due to knowing they Euthanize the animals they can't home. Knowing she will be marked "Agressive" and no explination will be given it scares me. She is a sweetheart... and IF seperating them would awnser the issues she has here... I would keep doing it. But at this point it is not fair to the rest of the animals or her!

Thanks for all your ideas...
Boy I am still at a loss... But maybe this is for the best.
January 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hart_N_Sole
I do have one last idea, and I thought I would throw it out there to you...

Have you considered contacting a rescue in another area of the states? The west coast has quite a few GD rescue groups... I'm originally from Southern California, and I knew of at least three in the L.A. area alone... Sometimes they are willing to take on a new dog, and will set up a transport chain, where volunteers take turns driving so far, to get that dog to the new rescue or home. It was just a thought.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search