Updated: Bald spot on my cat's tail

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Hello!
I'm a mommy of 5 indoor cats. I have a 2 yr old turkish van short hair named Angel. For the past few weeks, I've noticed a bald spot on her tail.. it's gotten bigger. She is healthy. She's eating and drinking water. And very mischevious & active little girl.. no behavior changes.. yet I see this bald spot getting bigger. What could cause it?
Last December, I switched to Blue Spa Select food from Nutro Natural choice cuz I wanted holistic food. She eat it no problem. However, my mom bought a different flavor (seafood) of Blue Spa select. I don't know if that's causing an allergy or she is biting the same area every day. It feels like someone shaved her tail. It's weird! LOL
I do not see fleas on her either. My other 4 cats are just fine.

Anyone experience this bald spot on their healthy cats? I hate to see that beautiful white/orange coat tail all messed up with that bald spot!!!!

Thanks!

Update:

Hey there!!!

I took her to the vet last saturday.

They said it's NOT ringworm (I figured that. )

She has superficial (sp) skin infection. The vet gave her cortisone steriod shot and antibiotics.

Whew!

Thanks for your advices! She's a happy girl now!

January 18th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hart_N_Sole
It's hard for us to know exactly what could be going on with your kitty... My first thought was possible ringworm... But there is no way to really know without seeing it. I would recommend making an appointment with your vet and taking her in... Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
January 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the above. If it's some type of fungal or parasite the vet would be a better person since they can see it. Hopefully it's something minor that's easily treatable and you'll be on your merry way.

Good luck!
January 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Ringworm? I don't think so. I would think ringworm would affect my other 4 cats and they do not have bald spots at all.
Thanks anyway
January 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Ringworm? I don't think so. I would think ringworm would affect my other 4 cats and they do not have bald spots at all.
Thanks anyway [/b]
Not necessarily. There are some types of ringworm that are NOT contagious... How do I know this? Last year my husband's cat began getting sores all over his body... losing hair, scabbing up, bleeding... It was ringworm, but a strain that is NOT contagious, which is why my other cats did not contract it... I've dealt with the contagious ringworm as well, and it's not fun when your entire household needs to be treated. I'd still have a vet take a look and see what she needs.
January 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
bump for update
January 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hart_N_Sole
I'm glad your kitty is on the road to recovery.
January 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Hey Im glad shes feeling better!! Casper had an allergic reaction to an organic flea spray (who would have thought, huh?) and he did the same thing but it was all over his body. and they gave him that shot too and meds.

I didnt even think about it when you asked the question!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search