Question... I think it's a Shep thing

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Omg, my dog is driving me MENTAL. I love her to pieces but she's REALLY pushing my limits lately. She's always done this nasaly whine, but lately it's turned into full blown howl/moose sounding. She's generally a quiet dog other than this freaking noise. It's god aweful, it really gets under our skin. We took her to the vet, and they could not find a darn thing wrong with her, so we've rulled out anything medical. She doesn't have seperation issues, and gets 2 walks a day, as well as playing with my boys and my other dog, and my mothers dog for that matter. She only does this when I'm not looking at her. If i'm not looking at her 24/7 she cries like this. I've asked neighbors, and snooped it out for myself, and she doesn't make a peep if we're not home. We've tried firm No's, water bottles to spray her with when she starts, putting her outside, NOTHING works. Infact, if you tell her no she does it louder. I spoke to a neighbor up the street when we were at the park one day who has a full shep (guess i should mention she's a rottie/shep mix) and he had a similar problem, but not my extreme. He resorted to putting a zap collar on his dog, which i REALLY don't want to do. If anyone has any kind of advice, I would be extremely greatful.

I took this video to show you what i meant, like i said she doesn't do it if she sees me looking at her. And this really isn't doing it justice

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wdZe3Cye3fc

January 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hart_N_Sole
As an owner and admirer of GSD's for many, many years, I can tell you this... GSD's are incredibly verbal dogs! They love to "talk". Your dog is just carrying on a conversation with you. The best advice I can offer is to flat out ignore her! If she starts talking, turn your back to her, go in another room... Whatever you have to do. Just don't respond. ANY kind of response gets her what she wants, even if it is a negative response... Ignore her.
January 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I agree with the above on ignore her. IMO she's doing it for attention since she does it when you are not paying attention to her. By putting her outside, telling her no, squirting her, etc you are rewarding the bad behaviour with attention and unknowingly causing it to continue and probably get worse as well. 200% ignore her. As the above poster said, turn your back and walk away and where it might be difficult the first few days to listen to it go on once she realizes she won't get attention from it (negative or otherwise) she will probably stop.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search