Dog Food

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Veteran
What kind do you use? I'm kind of big on making sure there aren't a top of additives and chemicals to my dog's food but I also can't spend a ton for the really fancy stuff. I am thinking about giving Taste of the Wild a try- it's made with a lot of natural ingredients and the price is right...has anyone tried it on their pooch?
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
January 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hart_N_Sole
We feed Innova EVO to our male German Shepherd, and we are finishing up a bag of Canidae on our female German Shepherd... I will be moving her over to Kirkland brand. I found that Kirkland received a letter "A" grade for it's ingredients and how it was made, and I get quite a bit more food for less money.

I've never used Taste of the Wild, I'm of no help. Here is a link to help you take a good look at different brands of dog food, and figure out which would best work for you.

Grade Your Dog Food

Good luck.
January 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use Canidae. I like you do not want to break the bank but want them to be eating something nutritious and Canidae has provided both for us, plus since it's All Life Stages I don't have to buy 2 different formulas for my 5 year old and my puppy. I get a 40 pound bag for $33 and that lasts me around 7 weeks with my 65 pound 5 year old and my 50 pound 6 month old.

I feed my fosters Kirkland brand (Costco's brand) Chicken and Rice as it's a good food at a cheaper cost ($18 for a 40 pound bag). It isn't as good as Canidae so I choose to feed my own dogs something better since it's still affordable, plus you feed less of the Canidae than you do the Kirkland so I may save money along the way, but it is a good food at a decent price.

I haven't ever used the food you're referring to, but I looked at the ingredients and it looks like a good food.

Good luck to you!
January 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Dibble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boxers have done very well with Canidae. My female boxer has a sensitive stomach. We use the platinum version. The price for Canidae can vary by store so shop around. For the 35.5 lb. bag of the Platinum Canidae, we pay $39 and some change which includes tax but I've seen it go for around $50.

~Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy~
January 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
We put our dog (standard poodle) on Avoderm chicken and brown rice formula. She had a sensitive stomach with her last food.....this one has been like a miracle food for her.She loves it, her coat is incredible, and there is not a lot of waste to clean up in the yard, that is a big plus ! the food stays with her and keep her satisfied ! the price isn't bad either.

January 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Regular
At the moment we are feeding a cheapy.......heh, right now its either that or nothing as far as dog food. Thankfully though things are getting better and I am hoping to switch back to Nutro, or prehaps something different, since we just have our smaller dog now.

I use to (back when things were good and stable money wise, <sigh>) feed an all Raw/Homemade Diet and honestly miss doing it, but at the same time, I dont miss the work, lol.

I will eventually change food and probably do a Kibble/Raw/Homemade diet in the future.
January 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
At the moment we are feeding a cheapy.......heh, right now its either that or nothing as far as dog food. Thankfully though things are getting better and I am hoping to switch back to Nutro, or prehaps something different, since we just have our smaller dog now.

I use to (back when things were good and stable money wise, <sigh>) feed an all Raw/Homemade Diet and honestly miss doing it, but at the same time, I dont miss the work, lol.

I will eventually change food and probably do a Kibble/Raw/Homemade diet in the future.[/b]
Just an FYI since I know Nutro isn't cheap, it's a really crummy food, especially for the price. You could get a MUCH better food for the same price such as Canidae or Chicken Soup, Kirkland, etc. Nutro Max has a bunch of fillers and I believe corn in it as well, Nutro Nautural and Ulta are much better but they both still have a lot of fillers in them that are unnecessary. If it were me, I'd search around and find a better quality that is the same price or cheaper. I know I get a better deal with Canidae and it's a much higher quality food, I pay less money and get more in the bag.

Just a suggestion.
January 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I feed my dogs purina one dog food. I also give each of my dogs half of a cooked chicken breast each day with their dry dog food.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
January 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I feed my dogs purina one dog food. I also give each of my dogs half of a cooked chicken breast each day with their dry dog food.[/b]
If you want to save some $$, read my comment on the Nutro, same goes for Purina (although it has much more garbage in it than Nutro does). Purina One isn't cheap if I remember correctly, much better foods out there for the same price or cheaper.
January 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Veteran
Quote:
We feed Innova EVO to our male German Shepherd, and we are finishing up a bag of Canidae on our female German Shepherd... I will be moving her over to Kirkland brand. I found that Kirkland received a letter "A" grade for it's ingredients and how it was made, and I get quite a bit more food for less money.

I've never used Taste of the Wild, I'm of no help. Here is a link to help you take a good look at different brands of dog food, and figure out which would best work for you.

Grade Your Dog Food

Good luck.[/b]
Thanks, thank quiz is really interesting! If I followed the instructions correctly, Taste of the Wild scored an A! His current food, which I thought was good, scored much lower (I stopped doing the math in my head after a while...) I'm going to see if I can get a sample of it to see how my dog likes it and then maybe switch over.

I definitely understand the cost issue-- I don't have the ability to spend a ton on dog food, but I do think it's important to find something healthy. I have seen a lot of decent-looking brands for less than $50 for a 35lb bag, which I don't think is too bad.
January 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Grade Your Dog Food

Good luck.[/b]
Thanks, thank quiz is really interesting! If I followed the instructions correctly, Taste of the Wild scored an A! His current food, which I thought was good, scored much lower (I stopped doing the math in my head after a while...) I'm going to see if I can get a sample of it to see how my dog likes it and then maybe switch over.

I definitely understand the cost issue-- I don't have the ability to spend a ton on dog food, but I do think it's important to find something healthy. I have seen a lot of decent-looking brands for less than $50 for a 35lb bag, which I don't think is too bad.
[/b]
WOW!!! Yeah IMO, from looking at foods, I think $50 for a 35 pound bag is WAY too much. I used to get Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's soul and paid $28 (that included tax) for a 35 pound bag, I pay $33 now for a 40 pound bag, Kirkland is $18 for a 40 pound bag. There's 3 really good foods for 40 pound bags under $35. There's no way I would spend $50 (or even $40) when there are GREAT foods out there for under $35.

And be careful with the dog food grading thing. Some of it is a good starting place, but the questions like adding a point if it is endorsed by an organization well do you know how many organizations endorse Iams, Science Diet, Purina, and the like? They are HORRIBLE foods but they are endorsed by major events, rescues, etc. So just be careful and really think about those questions as well.

But the food you had posted is a good food, just make sure to do your home work so you don't end up spending more than you need to.

Good luck!
January 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Mine are on a good food called red Flannel. It's a feed store PMI product but they are doing good and their coats and shiny on it.

The Whole Dog journal just came out with thier yearly top dry foods, I haven't gotten to read the mag yet as I jsut picked it up in the mail today, but they've always got great ones in there and will tell you the good bad, and ugly of it all.,

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
January 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Veteran
I have always paid a bit of a mark up because I shop at a local mom and pop pet store...I sometimes prefer to pay a little more to support a local merchant.

Double T-- I'll have to keep my eye out for that article, thanks!

I'll let you all know when I get my taste of the wild sample and try it out on my dog!
January 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have always paid a bit of a mark up because I shop at a local mom and pop pet store...I sometimes prefer to pay a little more to support a local merchant.

Double T-- I'll have to keep my eye out for that article, thanks!

I'll let you all know when I get my taste of the wild sample and try it out on my dog![/b]
Just an FYI, all of the prices I was listing were for local mom and pop places in my area as well. The good foods you typically cannot buy at chains anyway so that throws them out. I get mine at a 1 store (it's the only one) locally owned feed and tack supply store.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search