Are your pets talented?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hart_N_Sole
We caught a glimpse of the show Pet Star this morning, and there was a man with his Belgian Malinois on that had taught her to walks UPSTAIRS on just her hind legs! It was pretty neat to see her do that!

Do any of your pets have any unique talents?
February 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope, they're just ordinary pets. I mean they know basic commands, but they don't do anything special...nor do I want them to to be honest. They're a family pet not a circus act.
February 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Sometimes I think people teach their pets tricks to entertain them... Before my divorce, I had a beautiful red tri Aussie who was BRILLIANT. I did everything with that dog... we excelled through all obedience we did, we earned his CGC, I taught him how to open the refridgerator by pulling on a towel when I asked... And out back, my dogs all had a toy box. At the end of the day, I would have my Aussie collect all the toys and put them away - much like a child would.

I wasn't trying to treat him as a "circus act", he was an intelligent dog who needed jobs to do, and things to think about... It kept him busy, happy, and out of mischief. Some breeds of dog, especially the herding breeds with their drive to work and think, do better when you give them something to do...
February 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Sometimes I think people teach their pets tricks to entertain them... Before my divorce, I had a beautiful red tri Aussie who was BRILLIANT. I did everything with that dog... we excelled through all obedience we did, we earned his CGC, I taught him how to open the refridgerator by pulling on a towel when I asked... And out back, my dogs all had a toy box. At the end of the day, I would have my Aussie collect all the toys and put them away - much like a child would.

I wasn't trying to treat him as a "circus act", he was an intelligent dog who needed jobs to do, and things to think about... It kept him busy, happy, and out of mischief. Some breeds of dog, especially the herding breeds with their drive to work and think, do better when you give them something to do...[/b]
If it's funtionality that's one thing, but if it's let's walk down the stairs on 2 legs, balance ourselfs on an exercise ball, that kind of thing that isn't functional or practical it just seems silly to me. If you're going to train them, it may as well be to do something useful (as you did), rather than something that just makes them look silly. JMHO.
February 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
jademyst13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of my four cats 3 sit like humans at times, not really talent I guess, but cute!

One cat will play fetch. He will go get a toy and bring it to you when he wants to play
February 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
yep. My female jrt will ride on the back of my mini stud. Cisco the mini is smart as a whip, he gives kisses, hugs,shakes hands, counts, smiles, shakies his head yes and no, and plays soccer.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
February 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Quote:
yep. My female jrt will ride on the back of my mini stud. Cisco the mini is smart as a whip, he gives kisses, hugs,shakes hands, counts, smiles, shakies his head yes and no, and plays soccer.[/b]
omg...I'd love to see pics of that !!!!!!!

February 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Nope, they're just ordinary pets. I mean they know basic commands, but they don't do anything special...nor do I want them to to be honest. They're a family pet not a circus act.[/b]

My little mini and JRT do what they do becuase we perform for different schools and such. We'll be at an 'open house' day this spring at a local horse therapy center that my husbands boss's wife owns and runs. It's simply a way to get people and kids educated on both breeds of animals as well as bring a little joy into their lives. and a lot of animals need somthign to do with their time to keep 'em from getting into trouble, it's jsut one minor way to help key that energy into somthing productive.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
February 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, they're just ordinary pets. I mean they know basic commands, but they don't do anything special...nor do I want them to to be honest. They're a family pet not a circus act.[/b]

My little mini and JRT do what they do becuase we perform for different schools and such. We'll be at an 'open house' day this spring at a local horse therapy center that my husbands boss's wife owns and runs. It's simply a way to get people and kids educated on both breeds of animals as well as bring a little joy into their lives. and a lot of animals need somthign to do with their time to keep 'em from getting into trouble, it's jsut one minor way to help key that energy into somthing productive.
[/b]
that sounds like Fun !!!!

ok so I admit last night, Sadie was on her hind legs bouncing a balloon on her nose......we didnt "teach" her to do it, she just did...it was cute....and yeah, she loves the attention !....and YES , the balloon was taken away when she was done so she didnt eat it and choke on it

February 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
yep. My female jrt will ride on the back of my mini stud. Cisco the mini is smart as a whip, he gives kisses, hugs,shakes hands, counts, smiles, shakies his head yes and no, and plays soccer.[/b]
omg...I'd love to see pics of that !!!!!!!
[/b]

Sure, here's one mini website where he was added to 'things to do with a mini'. He's the black stud we performed at one of the local elementary schools here, during their ag days. Ignore me totally, lol I was about 5 months preggers in those pics and at that time nothing fit that looked halfway decent. LOL
http://www.unicornerfarm.com/idea-tricks.htm

Here's some pics off of my website, of Cisco. The top ones were at a tx elementary school. He was only 9 months old in those pics too. Just for a height idea, I'm just 5' 2" so you can kind of see jsut how tiny this little guy is!
http://www.doubletjrt.com/ciscos-pictures.html

February 4th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Teresa,

I really enjoyed both of the sites ! Thanks so much for posting them !!!!!!!

February 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Your more than welcome Dee!

February 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
if using big brown eyes to get me to do what they want me to do is a trick then yes LOL

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Quote:
if using big brown eyes to get me to do what they want me to do is a trick then yes LOL

xxx Lisa xxx[/b]
LOL !

they can be masters at that can't they ?????

February 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Bob pees in the toilet! I didnt teach him that either. hes just an odd cat

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
bruce bows. I find that my dogs like learning new things. It keeps their minds entertained.

February 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
Not really a trick and Im not sure if every dog can do it lol but Sheeba, if you scratch a certain part of her face, her lips goes up in an 'agressive' pose and she looks viscious... but its not making her viscious or cranky, she enjoys it! lol kind of more like a quirk then a trick..

but, other then that.. nope, they don't do any tricks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search