Helping a dog gain weight?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
My parents have brought in a stray and he is really underweight. He doesn't seem that interested in food. He's really very skinny though. Any ideas to get him to gain some weight?

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

February 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can get a high quality kibble and add a little bit of meat baby food to it. It's in the small 2.5 oz jars at the grocery store around 78 cents per jar that say "chicken and chicken broth" or "turkey and turkey broth", the ones that have nothing but meat. I put like 1/2 of a tsp in with 2-3 cups of kibble (make sure the baby food is a little warm if it comes out of the fridge to make it smell better uh or worse if you're human LoL, but don't put it in the microwave too long or it will EXPLODE). That should get him to eat the kibble, you can also add some ProZyme to it so he utilizes all of the nutrients and you should give him like 50% more food than he should normally eat and feed him at the weight he should be not the weight he is.

If he won't eat the kibble even with baby food added (although I have yet to meet a dog that wouldn't), you can give him "satin balls" Here is the link for the recipe http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html and it breaks it into smaller recipes if you just want to try it. I have never heard of a dog getting sick off of them contrary to it being raw ground beef and many show dog owners will use this if they need to fatten their dog up for a show temporarily. I have been told it puts on quite a bit of weight quickly.

Just make sure whatever you feed is of high quality so that he is getting the nutrients to go along with it, maybe try a multi vitamin as well such as Canine Plus or Pet Tabs Plus, there is also Nutri-Stat (which is a cheaper but identical version of Nutri-Cal) which can help too.

Hope this helps and good luck!
February 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Wow, I never heard of giving a dog baby food. My Pekeniese is also under weight though I dont know why. She eats 1 packet of 'soft food' for breakfast and then hard food during the day, and another packet for dinner. We have tried everything, including the doggy gravy from PetCo. But I think that I am going to try the baby food to see if that helps her as well.

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
February 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow, I never heard of giving a dog baby food. My Pekeniese is also under weight though I dont know why. She eats 1 packet of 'soft food' for breakfast and then hard food during the day, and another packet for dinner. We have tried everything, including the doggy gravy from PetCo. But I think that I am going to try the baby food to see if that helps her as well. [/b]
the reputable breeder I got my puppy from sent me home with 3 jars in case he didn't want to eat. Well he was only 7 weeks old so I did use it because for the first couple of days he wasn't interested in eating and that wasn't okay with how tiny he was. And it worked! Well then I doggie sat for a 15 year old blind deaf Portuguese water dog and my friend told me that they free feed whcih I cannot do in my home so she brought some of the Iams gravy and said she'd never turned a meal down, well she wouldn't eat it! So I tried a bit of baby food and she WOLFED the food down like it was steak LoL. Then I got a foster in who had just had surgery, was skinny already, and wasn't feeling up to par because of the surgery and viola threw a bit of baby food in her food and she ate without a second thought. Did the same thing for my puppy when he got an upper respiratory infection right after being neutered and he probably coudln't smell his food with as much snot as was coming out of his nose and he ate up with no problems too. So far I have yet to have a dog turn it down, you don't use very much, I'd try 1/4 of a tsp for like 2 cups of kibble, if that doesn't work try 1/2 of a tsp for 2 cups of kibble, just make sure to pop it in the micro for 5 seconds or so (anymore and it will explode so be careful!) and make sure to stir it up REALLY good as it has a tendency to clump the pieces together and not coat them all. Typically works like a charm is relatively inexpensive (1 jar has been lasting me an entire week with my pup eating 4 cups of food per day).

Again though just make sure it's the 100% meat and broth stuff you don't want any veggies or spices in it.

Good luck!
February 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
The dog may have worms which, along with fleas and ticks, can cause anemia. The first thing your parents need to do is have the dog checked by a vet to identify or rule out any potential health problems that may be causing or contributing to his emaciated appearance so that it can be addressed.

I suggest starting out with a little bit of a good quality food mixed with some chicken or beef broth. Depending on the size of the dog, give him about 1/4 of the recommended feeding amount and if is able to hold that down without vomiting after 3-4 hours, repeat the amount. Since he is underweight, after ruling out any medical issues, the recommended feeding amounts will need to be increased. Solid Gold Barking at the Moon is a high calorie diet, which is what they need to consider at least until he reaches a healthy weight.

There are also satin balls, to put some quick weight on underweight dogs.

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search