In Memory of my Sassy

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
ozzie_and_me's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi all!
I'm due in August with my first baby and while looking around the JM boards I found this one. I hope it's ok for me to share my story of my sweet pomeranian Sassy.

I've always been a dog lover and at home I grew up with Cocker Spaniels. Lady, who we got when I was 10 years old, went to the Rainbow bridge my junior year of college, and that's the first loss I really felt deep down. My parents have an 11 year old Cocker named Cookie now who is so sweet and thankfully still healthy and strong.

This is the story of my first dog, which I was only able to have for three years. My last year of graduate school, after volunteering at dog shelters, I was convinced by a friend to be a foster mommy to an adult female pom who was recently abandoned by her owners. She was in really poor health, and had clearly been neglected for a long time. He hair was virtually all gone and she had infections in both ears. She was so tiny and so scared that the vet thought a foster home would be best to get her ready for adoption. I agreed to the fostering arrangement, knowing in my heart that there is no way I would not adopt her later on.

Here she is the first day at my apartment, February 8th 2003:

After several weeks of medicated baths and ear drops, her hair started growing back and her personality started coming out. She got used to me and we were inseparable!! I had no idea how old she was... we had no old vet records. My current vet guessed she was between 6-8 years old based on his examination.

here she is when her hair grew in... looking like the gorgeous pom she was born to be!

In 2005, she started a health decline... she had a hard time moving on her little feet and was quite weak. At the same time, her skin infection came back, and no matter what we tried it didn't get much better. She was still a fighter and lived up to her name of "Sassy"! With all her beautiful hair falling off revealing sensitive skin, our vet recommended we put here in baby t-shirts to protect her.

Here I am in one of my favorite pictures with my baby:

While she fought as best she could, her kidneys gave out and on October 15th, 2005 she went to the rainbow bridge. I can still see her sweet face with her big eyes looking at me while she was hooked up to a doggie IV. This loss occured over two years ago, but when I think about her I still cry because I know she had a really hard life before I got her. I am just glad that I was able to let her live out her golden years in a comfortable, loving environment. Thank you for letting me post my tribute to my sweet girl Sassy. The condo my husband I live in doesn't allow pets now... but I am looking forward to the day when we can get a new puppy so my future son/daughter can experience how wonderful it is to love and care for a fur baby!!

Thanks again, and thanks for letting me read the tributes to your fur babies!!
Luli

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search