Toddler and Dog

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a very active 5 year old lab/hound mix. He's a complete sweet heart, but are having some issues getting him to listen to our 19 month old. Espcially, when she tells him "STOP BUDDY". He innocently, tries to play with her like he would with us [run around crash into us, sometimes jump]. We've taught him "hug", and he knows that fairly well. But this afternoon, he's was running around [cooped up all day b/c its rainy]. He was doing it right near DD and she kept telling him "STOP BUDDY STOP". HE wouldn't. So we had to step in and get him to stop. I don't want him to think, that he doesn't have to listen to her. At the same time, I want her to know she can tell him a command and he will/should listen. We have a routine with his food. She helps pour it, tells him to "sit" and "eat". He listens about half the time to her, but we have to reinforce most of the time. Its really important to us, that she is able to tell him something and he listens, and she knows she can do that and feel safe. He's jumped or crashed into her a few times and is sometimes scared of him. I hate it. I just don't know what to do to help establish her role in the "pack".
February 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Im not really sure what advice to give. Buddy may not realize she is an owner, due to her size. DS is only 1 yr old so he doesnt say much to the pets. my youngest furbabie, Fluff doesnt listen to anyone yet but my boxer, Casper seems to know that DS is a little person and treats him as he does us. He knows he cant jump on him and so on. We established this at a young age (meaning when DS was a baby).

Fluff is the one who plays to rough and crashes into DS. Right now we just have to step in and tell him no.
How long have you been trying to teach Buddy to listen to DD? Maybe he just needs more time, just continue the routine and he should catch on. Like with children, consistency is the key.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
IMO you should get him into a professional training class so he learns the basics and learns to listen 100% of the time. If you've done formal training it's time for a refresher, if you haven't it's time to start.
February 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How old is old enough for the professional training. Quite honestly, she's 19 months old. Most pet training places I know of are not really geared towards toddlers or children. They are more teacher and adult owner. Does that make sense? He does well with us, but with can be a handful surrounded by a bunch of other dogs [he has manners for the most part]. But a toddler who is a handful also. I could see DD running one way and Buddy just acting like a fool because there is another dog, and is outside his "turf". Do they have trainers that are like cheep that could come to your house?I would like to do professional training with him...I just don't know how much Hailey would gain from the class, or if we'd be able to give our full attention to the class.
February 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
How old is old enough for the professional training. Quite honestly, she's 19 months old. Most pet training places I know of are not really geared towards toddlers or children. They are more teacher and adult owner. Does that make sense? He does well with us, but with can be a handful surrounded by a bunch of other dogs [he has manners for the most part]. But a toddler who is a handful also. I could see DD running one way and Buddy just acting like a fool because there is another dog, and is outside his "turf". Do they have trainers that are like cheep that could come to your house?I would like to do professional training with him...I just don't know how much Hailey would gain from the class, or if we'd be able to give our full attention to the class.[/b]

No, your toddler wouldn't be there just you and the dog. But if he is well trained, he will listen to all in the household. If he goes out of control while other dogs are around then he is not trained. A truely trained dog will listen 100% of the time regardless of the situation or what is going on around them. Dog wise, IMO they are never too old. Unfortunately coming to your home will be MUCH more expensive than doing a group class. Out in my area it runs around $100 for 6 weeks worth of training, once a week 30 minute sessions. Prices depend on area, trainer qualifications, how many people, etc so you'd have to call around in your local area. If you truly want him to listen 100% of the time then you will need to give 100% of your attention to a class whiel you are there plus do "homework" during the times you are not there until he is doing everything on command regardless of what is going on around him. But yeah, no a not even 2 year old cannot train a dog.
February 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Instruct your daughter, as well as the rest of the family, that when Buddy is jumping, or acting in any way inappropriate, to completely withdraw your attention from him. Turn your back to him, cross your arms, do not look at him, do not touch him and do not speak to him. If he tries to come around to face you, turn your back to him and keep your back to him until he is calm and passive. This must be practiced consistently to be effective and it may take some time. Once he relaxes and becomes passive then, and only then, slowly and gradually return your attention to him. Begin by slowly turning to face him, then make eye contact, gently touch him or pet him and, finally, speak in a low, calm voice offering praise. If, during any one of these steps, he begins to respond or react excitedly withdraw your attention again, turning your back. He will eventually understand that he will only get validation and attention when he behaves appropriately.
I would also let your daughter feed him from her hands, from time to time. If food comes from her, especially directly from her, it will reinforce her as a pack leader.

February 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy

With the Training: He does listen, but his senses go into over drive, so he doesn't act himself since he wants to mark everything. Compared to most dogs, he's an angel though. He just has a few tweeks while in places like petsmart/vet. That is a priority of ours in the next 6 months. We need to research options, and save up money for it. I also want Hailey to participate in it, and she needs to be a little bit older {i want us all to do it together].

Thanks Stacey...I completely forgot the turn your back thing. I will let her start feeding him little bits from her hand, and see how that does. Its hard, because when he sees us, he knows we're big and more dominate. But Hailey is at his eye level, so its like he sees them as equals, or a playmate. He can be very sweet with her. I've figured out its mostly times, like when we get home and he's been in his crate all day and has extra energy. I made him calm down when we came in, then let him outside to potty, when he came back in he was much more relaxed and she tensed up thinking he was going to be all "crazy"

AHHH....mommy hood is calling me....gotta love the terrible twos!
February 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
With the Training: He does listen, but his senses go into over drive, so he doesn't act himself since he wants to mark everything. Compared to most dogs, he's an angel though. He just has a few tweeks while in places like petsmart/vet. That is a priority of ours in the next 6 months. We need to research options, and save up money for it. I also want Hailey to participate in it, and she needs to be a little bit older {i want us all to do it together].

Thanks Stacey...I completely forgot the turn your back thing. I will let her start feeding him little bits from her hand, and see how that does. Its hard, because when he sees us, he knows we're big and more dominate. But Hailey is at his eye level, so its like he sees them as equals, or a playmate. He can be very sweet with her. I've figured out its mostly times, like when we get home and he's been in his crate all day and has extra energy. I made him calm down when we came in, then let him outside to potty, when he came back in he was much more relaxed and she tensed up thinking he was going to be all "crazy"

AHHH....mommy hood is calling me....gotta love the terrible twos![/b]
Mark everything? Is he neutered? If not, that would help him calm down as well.
February 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes he is neutered [was when I got him].

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search