House Training.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
smudgiexo's Avatar Veteran
any Ideas. ):

We just got a new puppy!
February 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Crate training.

February 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Teresa_S's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Teresa_S
Simple rules. Puppy eats/drinks, puppy goes out to potty, puppy wakes up from a nap puppy goes out to potty. Other than that take him out about every 2 or so hours. If you can't watch him, put him in a crate (BUT not for extended periods of time, that'll start pottying in the crate) get him a crate that is just big enough for him to stand up and turn around in. Dogs HATE to lay in their pee/poop, and will only do it if they absoultly have to.

</div><div align="center">Come visit us at:</div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
February 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To add to the above, puppy plays puppy needs to go out to potty. Other than that just CONSTANT supervision so that if you catch them in the act of going in the house you can scoot them outside and give them a firm no and then TONS of praise when they go where they should. LOTS AND LOTS of praise when they go outside. Knock on wood, 2 out of 3 of my puppies were on their way to training in about 7 days, they were letting us know they needed to go out by 3 days or so we just didn't always see them as they only would sit by the door so when we missed it was our fault not theirs. If you are consistent with watching, crating, paying attention to circling, sniffing, etc, and putting out after eating, drinking, playing, or waking up you should be good to go.

Good luck!
February 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Nothing to add, it's pretty much all been covered. Just wanted to say good luck & have fun!
February 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
You also need to be socializing your pup constantly. The best way to do so is talking a stroll through the park, or even the pet store. Make sure to bring tons of treats with you, and whenever you come across a person, ask them to give your pup a treat and maybe even a pat on the head. It will teach your pup that there isnt any reason to be afraid of people other than your family.[/b]
This just depends on how old the puppy is. Puppy should NOT be going to public places to be around other dogs, etc until they are 100% DONE with all vaccinations...typically around 5 months old. And IMO you don't need treats to do this. I personally do not train with treats at all and my 7 month old is very people friendly and wags his tail at everyone but he doesn't expect food from anyone that comes near him. But again, socializing is important but should only be done after puppy is fully vaccinated plus one additional month for the vaccinations to take full effect, which is typically between 5 and 6 months old.
February 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Definitely crate training! It works best.
February 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Crate training has worked well for me. Smokie and Casper were crate trained. and Fluff is in the process... still crating him at night due to accidents, but doing very well during the day with constant supervision.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search