shedding

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Jessica2004/08mom's Avatar Veteran
we have a boxer and well she sheds like crazy.. hair everywhere.. What do you do to help control it? do you use a certin type of food? We brush her vaccume her.lo I need more suggestions i cant handle it anymore..

February 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's weird Boxers don't typically shed much. Anyway, try fish oil capsules...typically (1) 1,000 mg fish oil (with 300mg Omega 3) per 20 pounds of dog. You can put them in their kibble and they'll eat them or you can push them down their throat whichever works best for you and your dog. Fish Oil can help IMMENSLY in shedding. Also, brushing a few times a week will help. Also what kind of food do you feed? A food with corn, wheat, by-products, etc will CAUSE shedding a lot of times because they are cheap crappy foods. A Good rule of thumb is if you can find the food in the grocery store, discount store (wal-mart or Target) or PetSmart or PetCo it's a waste of money and move on.

Unfortunately that's about all you can do for shedding, if you're goign to have animals it's a fact of life. I vacuum 3-4 times a week with a vacuum with a HEPPA filter which can help, but animals shed that's just the way it is.
February 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Jessica2004/08mom's Avatar Veteran
We have been doing the fish oil thing just started about 3 weeks ago and to be honest i never seen any diffrence. As for food Dh buys it and then puts it in to a container i never looked at the bag..
What is a good food for her? were willing to try anything..

February 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Fish Oil takes awhile, also are you giving enough? Some Boxers shed more than others, my female sheds more than my male and my current foster (all I have are Boxers), but it's still minimal to many other breeds.

Foods: Canidae, Kirkland Signature (Costco brand), Fromm, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Innova, Timberwolfe, Merrick,

Um you can look at this website and pick something that is AT LEAST a 4 star food preferably 5 or 6 www.dogfoodanalysis.com You can check out the company's websites to find a dealer near you. Most are sold at a feed and tack store or a non chain pet supply store....or Costco if you go with the Kirkland food.

She also may just be a dog that sheds more and it's just something you'll have to live with in having a dog.
February 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hart_N_Sole
All I can add is to sweep and vaccuum more often!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search