Kitties and scabs

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Castaway
My poor little kitty Pepper is covered in scabs on her neck and head, you can't really see them but you can def feel them. Of course once they start to heal she scratches and put's them back to square one. I'm unsure how she is getting them, she has always had them but I noticed lately they have become worse. I was thinking the other cat was attacking her but I am not sure. I was wondering if there is anything I can use to cure this? Get rid of the scabs?

Thanx.

February 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can't shouldn't and don't want to get rid of the scabs, they are a natural and healthy healing process. What you DO need to do is figure out WHY they are there. Until they completely heal you may want to get her an E-collar so that she doesn't scratch at them and reopen them which will just start the problem all over again. Does she have fleas? Mites? As you mentioned is she fighting with the other cat? Have you taken her to the vet to make sure everything is medically sound? These are the things I can thin of off the top of my head.
February 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
You can't shouldn't and don't want to get rid of the scabs, they are a natural and healthy healing process. What you DO need to do is figure out WHY they are there. Until they completely heal you may want to get her an E-collar so that she doesn't scratch at them and reopen them which will just start the problem all over again. Does she have fleas? Mites? As you mentioned is she fighting with the other cat? Have you taken her to the vet to make sure everything is medically sound? These are the things I can thin of off the top of my head.[/b]

Great response.
February 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Castaway
Yep, at all her check ups she is perfectly healthy. She is flea and mite free. I don't actually know if the other cat could cause these scabs. Both cats are declawed. I suppose she can use her back paws though but I never even see them around each other much either. I will look into gettint a collar, thanx.

February 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yep, at all her check ups she is perfectly healthy. She is flea and mite free. I don't actually know if the other cat could cause these scabs. Both cats are declawed. I suppose she can use her back paws though but I never even see them around each other much either. I will look into gettint a collar, thanx.[/b]
TEETH more so than claws typically do more damage. My dog has scratches (that look like cat scratches) on his neck, muzzle, etc from playing with the other dog. His head looks like he's a fight dog the poor thing, because they play so much and use their mouths.
February 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, at all her check ups she is perfectly healthy. She is flea and mite free. I don't actually know if the other cat could cause these scabs. Both cats are declawed. I suppose she can use her back paws though but I never even see them around each other much either. I will look into gettint a collar, thanx.[/b]
TEETH more so than claws typically do more damage. [/b]
I agree. The scabs my cats have had on their necks in the past were from teeth, not claws...
February 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Tevye always had those scabs. They were due to him scratching himself. He was longhaired and had severly dry skin. We started using an oatmeal bath for dry sensitive skin, til the scabs healed and afterwards we used a moisturizing shampoo on him and he had no problems after that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search