Hi everyone!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi. I'm Meghan, 26 (well will be on Friday), married for the past 7 1/2 years. I have a 5-7 y/o female (not sure, she's a rescue) flashy fawn Boxer, Erin, 65 pounds, who has Valley Fever, Hypothyroid, and a degenerative knee condition, but she's as sweet as pie and we adore her. We also have an almost 7 month old white male Boxer puppy, Tyson, 55 pounds and growing, who so far is as healthy as can be and is very good for a puppy...both are altered. We lost our 6 1/2 flashy fawn male Boxer, Lucas, 82 pounds in his prime, in August 2007 after having him for 6 years to a probable brain tumor, he also had Valley Fever, hypothyroid, and suffered from seizures due to the neurological problems, we adopted Tyson 5 weeks or so after Lucas passed away, he was 7 weeks old when we got him. We also have 2 cats, Raven and Tiger who are between 7 and 8 years old. I am also a foster home for a Boxer rescue so I typically have 1 foster dog, currently I have Rodney, who is a flashy fawn 1 1/2 y/o male who is around 80-85 pounds and is a very good boy who is waiting for his forever home. I also pet sit part time in my home as well as in other people's home. At the moment I am sitting for a 6 month old "Schoodle" (mutt). I train my own dogs and do basics with my fosters while they are here. All are on good premium foods and treats and my personal dogs receive supplements, Erin also receives RX medications for her conditions so there's never a dull moment here. I also have a 6 year old human child, I work from home full time as a transcriptionist and well I think that's about it.

Welcome to the board!
February 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure how much in common other than pets, but that's cool.

Might I suggest for your dog that is on Phenobarb to start also giving him/her Milk Thistle. It is a supplement found in the vitamin aisle at Wal-Mart, Target, grocery store, drug store, etc. At Wal-Mart it runs $5.08 for 100 capsules. My 65 pound dog gets around 500mg per day. You can also go to www.puritansale.com and get the 250mg capsules there for cheaper. It will help protect the liver from the damaging effects of the Pb. Also if you ever put another dog on arthritic medication (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or any other NSAID) I would highly recommend it for those as well as well as blood tests once every 6 months at the very least to make sure it isn't destroying the liver. My girl takes Fluconazole for her Valley Fever and has high liver enzymes due to it so she's on Milk Thistle as well as SAM-e to keep her levels as close to normal as possible. Phenobarbital did major damage to my male's liver when he was on it and we had to switch him to Potassium Bromide as well as start him on a hepatic diet, Milk Thistle, SAM-e, and Vitamin E to help his liver regenerate itself. It worked, unfortunately he died of other problems later on.

Anyway, just a suggestion to save you heart ache and large vet bills later on down the road. I teach doggie nutrition as well as alternatives for medications. Unfortunately it's hard to get away from the anti seizure medications if they are truly needed, but there ARE things you can do to help protect the organs while they are on them. And a lot of the time the arthritic medications are not needed as there are many natural things, such as Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Duralactin, Glucosamine, among others that do not do any damage and can typically help. My girl has a degenerative knee problem as well as a Valley Fever lesion growing on the same leg and she is on NO prescription pain medication, we manage everything through safe supplements.
February 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will certainly keep all of it in mind!!
We are currently using milk thistle for Shelby because she has a higher dosage of phenobarbital, and has recently been diagnosed with early stages of congestive heart failure. She was switched to Potassium Bromide last year, but had to switch back to the phenobarbital because she was having 8-10 minute seizures on the Potassium Bromide. Cooper, however, will be transferred to Potassium Bromide, depending on his liver counts next month, and I guess we'll see how it goes from there. He only has a seizure every once in a while, where as Shelby could go a many as 4 days between seizures.[/b]
There's also SAM-e, vitamin E, and hepatic home made diets that can help protect the liver as well. If you ever need the recipe feel free to e-mail me at Mommie2One4Ever@aol.com and I'd be more than happy to scan it and send it to you.

Also on seizure dogs (as well as all dogs) diet can play a HUGE role. What kind of food to you feed?

Also I hope that the epileptic dogs aren't part of your breeding stock. And truly hope you have done genetic testing, health testing, and other testing to whatever they are prone to (hipe, eye, hypothyroid whatever the case may be), on the dogs and b!tches you use for breeding purposes so that you are bettering your breed and not just making a buck. I truly don't mean this to be offensive, but I see it way too much with rescue work...and then have to deal with the aftermath of poorly bred dogs, IE my male and now my female.
February 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hart_N_Sole
Hi Kim, welcome to the board! I'm Annie, one of the co-hosts here... Look forward to posting with you.
February 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We currently feed a mix of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul kibble, and Merrick wet.

But no, Shelby and Cooper have both been altered, we were required to do so before they could leave the shelter. We only breed AKK, and before we even consider showing/breeding a dog he/she is tested for Factor VII (a new medical defect in the breed) and several other prone defects. The health of our dogs comes first, rather than money, in fact even when we do breed, the money a new owner pays for a pup goes straight to paying for medical bills while the pup was in our care, or toward other breed studies. We currently have 2 stud dogs, and 3 breeding b!tches...all of which have been tested for breed defects, and have done outstanding on their yearly exams, and are all considered Grand Champions in UKC.[/b]
Awesome! Kudos to you guys!
February 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Welcome to the board!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search