Pet Sitters

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Have you ever had a pet sitter come to your home and care for your pets when out of town?
How did it go? How do you screen potential petsitters?

With our trip in November, I am trying to decide what to do as far as our cats and guinea pig go.
I've never used a pet sitter before, so I am unsure about them. I'm not kenneling all of my cats and my guinea pig, though...
February 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had one come to my house because we haven't taken a vacation since we lived here, but I pet sit myself. Please feel free to ask any questions you would like. I either go to people's homes or I will board 1-2 dogs (depending on if I have a foster or not) in my home. I actually just got done watching a "Schnoodle" who was 10 pounds for 6 days.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask I'm more than happy to answer.
February 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hart_N_Sole
Quote:
If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask I'm more than happy to answer.[/b]
Thanks Meghan!

Well, I guess I am wondering what a petsitter generally charges? I'd only need him or her to come by once a day, to clean litterboxes, make sure the food and water bowls are filled, and that everyone is doing okay. If you were to take on a job like that (for five days, BTW) what would you charge?
February 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What people charge, like most things, depends on your area. Around here (and my charge) is $15 per visit regardless of how many times a day or how long you are gone (and my friend in southern California pays the same with the pet sitter he uses). So for once a day it'd be $15 per day that includes taking care of up to 3 animals, if you have cats cleaning litter box, collecting mail, newspapers, putting out your trashcan if trash day falls on a day you're gone, a security check of the home to make sure everything is on the up and up, rotating turning on and off lights so it looks like someone is home, watering any kind of house plants or plantst that are no on drippers, and then I'm pretty flexible if there is something my client wants done (within reason) that I didn't mention I typically do it at no extra charge. My visits are for 30-40 minutes to do my stuff there plus play with them, love on them, etc.

Now if a dog comes to MY home I charge $25 per day, and $2 per day extra if I feed them my food. That obviously includes 24/7 care, treats, playtime, toys, a bath before they go home, etc.

Hope that helps!
February 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hart_N_Sole
$15 a day isn't bad at all... I'll check with my vet and see if they have any one they can refer me to.

Thanks!
February 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
$15 a day isn't bad at all... I'll check with my vet and see if they have any one they can refer me to.

Thanks![/b]
If you do a search online you can usually find a pet sitters association type of thing. Also, sometimes some of the vet techs at vet's offices will pet sit in their free time as well.

Good luck!

PS
That's $15 per visit, I was saying $15 per day because you only wanted once a day.
February 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't use petsitters. When we go away we just use my parents since they live so close to us.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
February 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hart_N_Sole
Well, things have changed in the matter of a few hours, and with any luck, we wont need a petsitter in November, because we will be back living in Southern California again! *fingers crossed*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search