Increasing feeding amount

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I read somewhere (either online or in my What to Expect book...can't remember) that its a good idea to increase baby's feedings by 1 oz per month until they're eating 6-8 oz by 6 months old. Do you decide when to increase your baby's feeding amount or do you wait until your baby demands more?

January 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Heidiree's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess it depends... when I started increasing James amount he started spitting up even more... he doesn't get any more than 5 oz at a time or it goes EVERYWHERE! And he's 6 months old. I asked the dr about it and she said he is growing well so it seems like we're doing fine!

January 31st, 2009, 06:46 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I actually waited until Katie was ready...which was timed just right when the ped told us to increase.
I dont always go by the books since all babies are different, and what works for some doesn't work for all....
trust you mommy's intuition and take cues form your little sweetie there....and you'll be just fine

ETA : Katie is almost 8 months old and gets 6..sometimes 7 oz.....but usually spits up when she gets more than 6 !

January 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I follow Carlie's lead. She's been consistenly taking 5-6oz per feeding, sometimes 7 if she's really hungry. The dr. said she's growing well and doing great, so I guess he's eating enough. My son NEVER drank an 8oz bottle...he just wasn't a big eater, and he's a happy, healthy toddler. I think each baby is different. I know some babies are eating 6-8oz by the time they are 5 mo. old.

February 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I always waited until my kids were ready, they will lewt you know when they are. If they keep acting hungry after a feeding, it's time to increase. Each baby is different, my 7 month old is only up to 4oz feedings right now.

February 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Caden's MaMa 8-7-08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08 Send a message via Yahoo to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08
WOW! I have a hungry baby. He started bfing and I couldnt keep up and he was having reflux and colic issues so we put him on Enfamil ProSobee, and that has done wonders. He was drinking 4oz at about 1 month old, then he was hungry still at about 2 mos he started on 5oz then by 3 mos he was on 6oz and then when he was about 4 1/2 mos he was on about 7-8oz. Today he usualy drinks about 8oz sometimes less sometimes more depending on the mood. My doc said he is growing just fine, and looks great. I just let him take the lead and tell me what he needs!

TY for the siggies everyone!
February 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Trinity's been drinking 3 oz since early January and she's been consistently drinking the whole bottle for a while now, but she very rarely wants more afterwards (Only after a long stretch of sleep when she goes beyond her usual 2.5-3 hours between feedings). It just dawned on me one day that what if she's waiting on me to up her amount and that maybe she'd take more if I gave it to her. She hasn't given any cues one way or the other that's she's not getting enough or being overfed, so I guess she must be content with the 3 oz for the time being.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search