Ready to switch-brand?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone; I'm sick of trying to force my 8 month old to nurse. He has never been that interested and now that he's crawling and standing, he hates to nurse. He's not nursing at all during the day and I'm tired of pumping and worrying about supply. I want to switch to formula but I don't know how much to give him or how often or what kind. Also, he takes a bottle better than he nurses because he can look around while he eats but should I be trying to give him a sippy cup yet? Any suggestions? Thanks! -Jess
February 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
Hi! First of all, congrats on the LO. He's getting to that fun stage where they start moving and interacting more...it's so fun to watch!

As for the formula ??, I would say you could start with a regular milk-based formula. Did he have any issues with breastmilk, like a sensitivity to dairy or anything? Of not, a milk-based formula would probably be okay to start with. As for the brand, that's up to you. I've used Similac, Good Start and am currently using Parents Choice.

How often and how much is kind of a guessing game. My little girl is 6 mo. old and takes 6-7 oz every 4 hours. I would say try 7-8 oz in a bottle and see how he does. He'll let you know if it's too much or not enough. And follow his hunger cues to see how often.

Sippy cup...I'd start him on one. I just started my DD on a sippy cup. And while she mostly plays with it, she is starting to get the hang of it.

Hope that helps! And let us know if you have any other questions/concerns!

February 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
hi there and welcome to the board !!!!
my little girl is almost 8 months !! and she wants to be so independent !!

I think Stacey has really covered everything that I would have suggested also !! I went through so many brands, auntil settiling on Similac.....Advanced,Early Sheild,Organic..they all work well for us....and Parents Choice is very comparable to them also, and soooooooooooooo much cheaper !!!!

please stick around with us and let us know which one you go with and how it works out !!

February 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Wow, thanks for your quick responses! He does fine with all foods and yogurt and I've even put bits of milk on his cereal before so I think a regular cow's milk based formula should be fine. I'll try the Parent's Choice and see how that goes. And again, thanks!
February 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I was going to say exactally what the other wonderful momma's said!! lol
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

February 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
Quote:
Wow, thanks for your quick responses! He does fine with all foods and yogurt and I've even put bits of milk on his cereal before so I think a regular cow's milk based formula should be fine. I'll try the Parent's Choice and see how that goes. And again, thanks! [/b]
You're welcome!! Let us know how he does! The Parent's Choice will definitely save some $$, and nutrionally, it's the exact same as Similac or Enfamil. KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search