Need help, PLEASE!!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Veteran
Hi ladies... I could use some advice or wisdom please!!!

My daughter will be a month old in a few days and was taking bottles just fine until a few days ago, when things dramatically changed...

Within the last few days, she has started turning red and screaming when I tried to feed her. We haven't switched formulas and she is on the Good Start with the Omegas - supposed to be super easy to digest.

Anyway, I didn't think it was gas, but then I started to think it was... she would have a big burp and that sometimes made her feel better and eat better.

I was talking to a friend a couple of days ago and she (like others on here) suggested the Playtex with the drop-ins as it minimizes air intake. We are currently using Avent. So... she gave me a Playtex to experiment with.

I tried the Playtex with her and the same thing happened. She would take it for a while, then turn red, scream, and refuse the bottle, seeming like she is in pain. She will only take about 2 oz at a time.

Because the Playtex didn't work, I tried Avent but with a few alterations. First, I made sure there was milk in the entire nipple for the duration of the feeding, tilting the bottle slightly higher than I normally would. Apparently this is supposed to help. Second, every time I burped her, I took the lid off the bottle to decrease the air inside.

For the last feeding, she wasn't fussy at all. Hmm.

But she's been fussy on and off. Like, some feedings she will be absolutely fine, and others seem like they are torture on her.

I can't figure out if we need to try a new bottle, new formula, or what.

My son was never fussy like this with the Avent bottles or the Good Start formula. Both are supposed to be easily digestible and reduce gas. But I guess all kids are different.

So... then my DH suggested using the 8 oz bottles instead of 4, because there would be more back pressure on the formula, making it less gassy for her to take. This worked great for about 80% of her feedings today.

She was doing all right until her second last meal, where she was pretty fussy all over again. We decided to buy a Dr. Brown's bottle and see if it made a difference.

When we got home, she wanted to eat again. So I made her a bottle with the new bottle, and tried to feed it to her. She screamed bloody murder after about an ounce. She was pulling off it, turning red, and shrieking, just like with the Avent. We gave her a pacifier and calmed her down.

She seemed super hungry an hour later, so we tried the Dr. Brown's again. She screamed and wouldn't even suck on the nipple. At this point she was frantic. We put the formula in the Avent and tried that. No go. She wouldn't suck on anything at all. She was inconsolable - I've never seen her like that before. Right now, she is sleeping. I guess she wore herself out.

I don't know what to do at this point. She seems really hungry but won't eat. It's almost like eating is causing her pain. Yet, for all of the other feedings today, except one, she was totally fine.

DH says maybe we have confused her with all these different nipples and she isn't sure what to do anymore. He also thinks we need to give Dr. Brown's another try.

I keep feeling that I am misreading her cues. Many times she will seem starving, and I will feed her - she will take an ounce or less and drift off to sleep. But most of the time, she drinks most of her bottle and doesn't fuss.

I don't know what all of these fussy incidents could be. Sure seems like hunger but I keep trying with no success.

I'm at my wit's end!!!

May 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I'm sorry that you're going through so much with your LO. I know how formula feeding can be a guessing game at times. When my daughter was a month old she took her formula fine up to that point too. Then started having painful gas and lots of spit up. We tried soy (Rec'd by the doctor thinking it could've been a milk allergy) and a reduced lactose formula which she has been on since 1 month (Enfamil Gentlease).

Have you talked to the doctor? To me it sounds like the problem is the formula and not the bottle. If she has a milk allergy they may recommended a soy-based formula, or a hypoallergenic one such as Enfamil Nutramigen or Similac Alimentum.

Other remedies for gas are: Mylicon drops, bike pedaling baby's legs to cause them to pass gas, taking their temp rectally to induce gas or a BM, or putting a warm towel on her tummy (over her clothes). These are some tips that the doctor gave me when my baby had a painful bout with gas.

Check out our bottle and formula reviews. They've got lots of info from some of our moms!

May 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I ditto what Tia has posted....also, it is very possible she could be developing colic. We went through it the same way with Katie when it started. She also could not tolerate powdered formula which made feedings a nightmare!

check out the Issues and Info sticky...LOTS of good info there also!
good luck ! I know it IS frustrating!

May 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Caden's MaMa 8-7-08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08 Send a message via Yahoo to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08
I agree, it sounds like it could be a combo of everything the ladies mentioned. Possibly colic and a milk allergy. I would try switching formula not bottles. Good luck!

TY for the siggies everyone!
May 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everything Tia said. We tried a few kinds of bottles and Parents choice the cheapies ended up working best for us! Mylicon drops IMO work great!

May 6th, 2009, 11:25 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Kaylin had this issue too - for her it was a combonation of constipation and gas.

How are her dirty diapers? Many? Soft/hard?

I would also try the suggestions form Tia for gas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search