Transitioning to powdered formula ??

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm new here, popping in from the July 2008 PR. Kyla is 9 1/2 months old and has been breastfed for that entire time with the execption of a few bottles of formula. She's used to the bottle, I use the same ones I give her breastmilk in at daycare, it's the formula.

Okay, so I'm trying to get Kyla onto formula and I really didn't expect it to be this hard!

We had gotten so many free samples of the Enfamil Lipil (premade liquid) that I've been using that and she's been taking it just fine so I never thought that the powdered stuff would be any different. but when I made it up, it smelled metallic whereas the liquid stuff didn't. Is this normal for powder? Is it the water that I'm using (tap filtered with a Brita filter)

I tried the Kirkland formula as well and it smelled a little less metallic than the Enfamil powder, but she doesn't want anything to do with it. She pushes it away and turns her head.

I've tossed about 15 oz of formula the past few days because she won't take it.

Any ideas? Should I use bottled water? Boiled water? Should I add some milk (I hate to add the formula to breastmilk in case she doesn't take it, I would HATE to have to throw out breatsmilk!)

This is really driving me crazy. I can't breastfeed/pump enough for her anymore and we just cannot afford to buy the premade Enfamil.

Please help!!!

May 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

Ready-to-feed (pre-made) is much easier to digest than powder and concentrate, so that's probably why you've seen such a difference in how she responds to the formula. The different kinds of formula do have their own distinct smells. I've used pre-made, concentrate, and powder and they've all smelled a little different. I doubt its the water you're using. I prefer bottled but I know alot of moms who use tap or Nursery water. Its just a personal preference. As long as you aren't using well water or something then it shouldn't be a problem with the quality of the water.

You mentioned that the powdered formula smelled metallic but you didn't mention whether she took it or not. How did she do with it? If she tolerates it you may just have to ignore the smell. We had to switch formulas twice since my DD was born and they all smelled different (especially the soy, which made me gag!).

I've heard of BF moms who introduce formula by adding their milk to formula and decreasing the breastmilk until the baby is drinking only formula. Formula isn't as sweet as breastmilk so she may just need time to adjust.

May 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Caden's MaMa 8-7-08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08 Send a message via Yahoo to Caden's MaMa 8-7-08
I totally agree with Tia. I had to supplement my son from 1 month, because he was up to 6 oz by then and I wasnt producing enough BM, I started him on powdered Enfamil Gentlease which was reccommended since he was switching back and forth from BM to formula and it was making him gassy. He was colicy and we eventually switched him to Enfamil Prosobee (Soy) powder when I wasnt BFing him anymore, and the soy smells disgusting, but after a while I got used to the smell,and it is a bit thicker than the regular Enfamil. Caden loves his formula and has no problems with the Soy. I also use nursery water because we have well water and I believe in my son having flouride in his water for his teeth, and since city water has flouride in it, its basically the same thing.

Good luck, and just keep trying. It sometimes takes a while to get the right one.

TY for the siggies everyone!
May 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son takes Enfamil Lipil and I agree that it has a metallic smell to it!
I've heard of babies getting used to the premade stuff and not taking the powdered formula at all which is what your little one is doing! I really don't think that the problem is your water, the powdered and the premade taste different and she is used to the premade!
I agree that you should start adding a little formula to the breastmilk at a time then gradually increase how much you are putting in!
When I switched my son to formula I started with powder so we haven't had any problems with him refusing it...
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!

May 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I added formula to a mainly breastmilk bottle. Gradually over time I put in more formula and less breastmilk.

Good luck!
May 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did every other bottle breastmilk and formula. We started with the premade from the hospital and then switched to powder. She switched just fine to powder so I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I am sorry you are going through this.

May 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Yeah, each formula has it's own smell - it's more than likely not the water.

When I switched to formula, I added about an ounce of BM to each ounce of formula. As much as it sucked to waste any breast milk, she took it better and it made the transition smoother. I actually didn't end up tossing much at all. Maybe a couple ounces....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search