WWYD? Advice, please

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Super Mommy
I'm debating whether or not I should BF or FF feed my next child (due mid july). I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, and was put on medication for it. Since being married (going on four years), I've either been pregnant or breastfeeding, so I haven't been able to be on medication the entire time. I'm really struggling with this. I know breastmilk is great and everything and my husband really wants me to BF (our last little one had breathing problems at birth, and was really weak for a while, so we're both pretty sure breastmilk helped him get through that, and it's cheaper), but I am so tried of trying to live with my wits scattered as they are. Ugh. Maybe I should BF for the first six months or something and then switch to formula? Not that I'm trying to be stingy, but formula is EXPENSIVE and we'd be paying for meds of top of that.
Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm sort of hoping to have this figured out before our little one gets here.
For a little background, I pumped breast milk and suplemented with formula for our first baby (I could only pump for five months), and BF our second for 7 months, and then made the complete switch to formla.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
May 18th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what to tell you. It is such a personal decision. I am a first time mom. I thought I would formula feed from the beginning but I decided to pump too. I formula fed and pumped. I got really tired of pumping and my supply was awful so I switched to all formula. I think you have to do what is best for you. You have to be happy ultimately. You being happy is what matters and you shouldn't feel pressured either way.

May 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Julie...you have to pick whatever you feel is best for baby and you. I thought for sure I would just BF and we had an awful time with it and I pumped only for a few weeks and then switched to formula. Whatever you do will be right for you both!!

May 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
If I were in your situation, I'd probably gte through the first month of breast feeding - get through the colostrum, get some of the antibodies in him/her, and then switch to formula. I don't think I could do three kids and be scattered, too. But that's just me. Whatever you choose will be right for you and your family. Breast milk is technically better than formula, but formula is just fine, too.

OT: Dallin H. Oaks is one of my favorite people to quote.
May 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you and your baby. You could always try it out and see how it goes, but switch over to formula if you have too. I think it is worth it to try and get that first 4-6 weeks of antibodies in, but that is just my opinion.

I would suggest giving it a shot, and see how it goes. You can always switch if it isn't working out

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search