Concerned about constipation

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Veteran
Just have a question or two here, and hoping somebody can help me out!

Maya usually poops once a day. That time has been increasing, and now we're at two and a half days. I'm worried. She seems in pain, and strains a lot. I know the "path" is clear because she farts like the Dickens but nothing comes out!

I have been reading a lot of conflicting things online. Most of the info says just because the stool is infrequent, it doesn't mean she is constipated, and that constipation would be hard stools. Her stools are not hard, they are very soft, and when she goes, she GOES! It seems to never end. But it's been almost three days, and she is trying so hard, but nothing is there. Other things I have read say that if she is straining and has pain, and is going infrequently, she IS constipated. I also read something that said the stool pattern changes at two months old, and she is almost two months old.

I have tried rubbing her tummy, and I have tried the warm bath, which usually works. Nothing is working. She has also been spitting up today a lot, and I wonder if it's due to the fact that there is no more room for the food in that tiny body, since the poop isn't coming out!

I have heard about dark corn syrup, but read online that you can't do that until they are 4 months old? Is that true? Is there anything else I can try to relieve her pain? I hope I don't have to switch formulas... I'm worried that would upset her system even more. Right now we are on Good Start Omega 3 and 6.

Thank you for any help you can provide!!
[IMG]/justmommies/vb/images/misc/progress.gif[/IMG]
May 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My pediatrician told me you can't really give them anything for constipation before they're a few months old, and the only thing you can do (without a prescription) is rectal stimulation. Put some vaseline on a thermometer and hold it in her rectum for a few minutes, wiggle it around SOME, but very gently and not a lot - you don't want to hurt her.

I haven't had to do it with Ren yet, but I did have a litter of puppies that needed the same thing, and it helped resolve the issue. I know puppies aren't babies, but strangely enough they develop a lot of the same issues and those issues are dealt with in a lot of the same ways.
May 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
My doctor said that babies are really considered contipated until they've gone 3-7 days without a bowel movement. She also said that it doesn't hurt to take their temperature rectally. It usually makes them poop. If its gas pains that she's having try bicyling her legs to make her pass gas. That may relieve some of the pressure in her belly. When Trinity was a month old she began having problems with spitting up and BM problems...except hers were really runny. We ended up having to change formulas.

You may just have to call her doctor and see what they say.

May 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
What has your pediatrician said?

Some things I have tried that help are:
-one ounce of Pedialite in the morning and one before bed
-Prunce juice - about an ounce in her bottle.
-Tummy massage
-rectal stimulation (be VERY careful)
-bicycle kicks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search