Isomil vs. Sensitive

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
ANGWife
Hello everyone. I've been pumping and supplementing with formula for my almost month old son. When he was born we gave him Similac Advanced Shield (Lactose) for like a week. He had horrible gas pains and would cry alot. The doctor recommended Isomil and we started him on the soy Similac. He's also been on the Mylicon drops and that seems to help alot. His gas has dramatically decreased.

Well I was reading my week to week development book for him and it mentions that giving soy to infants that do not truly have a lactose problem can cause other digestive issues down the road (something about the enzymes in soybeans??). Anyone else heard this? I've seen that Similac has a Sensitive version of their formula that is milk based but lactose free and is also recommended for gas and fussiness.

I will ask the doctor at his checkup this week, but I don't want to necessarily take what he says for gold, KWIM? I'm wondering if we should switch him to the Sensitive instead of the Isomil. He seems to be doing good on the Isomil, but then again it could just be the drops helping him. I don't want to whack out his little system by switching him to so many different versions... Do you use Isomil or the Sensitive versions? Any thoughts?
May 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I don't use Similac, but I do use the sensitive version of Enfamil which is Gentlease. She was on Enfamil's soy formula very briefly and during that time I read that babies who drink soy milk have a chance of developing peanut allergies down the road. I've never heard about the enzymes in the soybeans. I took her off the soy myself because I didn't believe she had a true milk allergy. She's thrived since she's been on the Gentlease and she's been on it for 5 months. Personally, I would try the Sensitive before going straight to soy. I don't see the point in having him on a soy-based formula unless he has a milk allergy and absolutely has to be on soy, KWIM?

I hope the doctor can give you some good insight. Keep us posted.

May 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran
We tried everything for my daughter's gastric upset/gassiness/colic. We ended up on Isomil Advance and she is doing GREAT on it! I have never heard anything about ill effects from the soy with the exception to possible constipation (Which apple prune juice will fix), in fact if you look at all the research on soy in general I would think it would be positive from a nutrition point of view...
May 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
LisaD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just switched our 11 day old from the Advanced to the sensitive version. I did see the soy but thought that we would go the sensitive route first and see if it helps with his gas pains.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search