Thinking of switching from Enfamil to Walmart's Parents Choice...**UPDATED!**

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ChattyAshley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
***Update: More Questions in Post #11... Thanks!!

I have been BFing and supplementing since Topher was born and he's just over 4 months now. Today at his 4 month pedi appt. we realized he's a bit on the scrawny side (he's in the 8th percentile in weight! Yikes!) so I want to use formula more often now to try to increase his calorie intake.

We've been using Enfamil which has been great, but it's VERY expensive and I was thinking about maybe switching to Walmart's Parents Choice, it's way cheaper.
Any advice? Opinions??
THANKS!

Thanks to Babydoll213 for my cute siggy!

Last edited by ChattyAshley; July 17th, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Updating
June 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I have only used Enfamil, but I am on WIC so that's what they give me...

I say it's worth a shot to save the $$!!! You can always switch back.
June 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At around 3-4 months we switched from Enfamil Gentlease to Sam's Club Gentle Formula...The enfamil was like 30bucks for 26or so oz and the Sam's was 26 for like 48oz! So for us it was way worth it becuse she did great with it and it saves a bunch!

June 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually just tried the Parent's Choice with my son and he is doing great with it!
He was on Enfamil Lipil but I think I'm going to switch him all over once I finish the rest of the Enfamil that I have in the closet. I'm also going to try the kinds from Sam's Club. I've heard it's the exact same thing as the Parent's Choice.

June 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I've used Sam's Club, and right now we're using Parents Choice. I have honestly never been able to tell the difference between name brand and off brand formula, except that the off brand is about half the price. We've also used Publix's brand and Target brand formula, with no issues whatsoever from either kid - no issues they didn't have with the more expensive name brand formula though.

The only formula I see a difference with is the Alimentum, but that's special formula anyways, and doesn't have a generic equivalent.
June 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Super Mommy
I'd go for it. My son switched from 100% breast milk to Parent's choice and did fine.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
June 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Regular
My first son was on Parents Choice Soy pretty much from birth and he was in the 90th percentile until he started walking at 8 months. All formula has to meet the same standards… Plus Parents Choice is waaaaay cheaper!!!

June 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
LisaD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just saw this post and saw that it was YOU Ash!! How are you? I can't believe that Topher is 4 months now. And that Nathan is 6 weeks! It's good to see you

July 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I say go for it... DD #1 was on Similac and we spent WELL over $100/ month on formula. DD#2 has been on Parent's choice since Day 1(other than in the hospital) I see no difference between the two except that PC is half the price if not even cheaper than that.

July 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
fuzzysunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fuzzysunshine Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzysunshine
we switched to the Sam's club version of Gentlease and have had no problems
July 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
ChattyAshley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls!

Another question: Did you 100% switch? Like, should I mix the 2 kinds for awhile? For example, if I'm making 4 oz, use 1 scoop enfamil and 1 scoop PC? Or maybe do 1 whole bottle enfamil and then the next bottle PC and switch off and on for awhile? Or just completely stop enfamil and start PC right off the bat?

HELP!!!!!!!

P.S. Hi Lisa! It's been forever! I'm good, and I also can't believe how fast our LOs are growing!!

Thanks to Babydoll213 for my cute siggy!
July 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I would try slowly adding one bottle of PC a day. Do one the first day, two the second, etc. until you are making all PC bottles.

I think their tummies handle it better that way....

Plus, then you can get rid of any open Enfamil you have... rather than just trashing it. LOL
July 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Plus, then you can get rid of any open Enfamil you have... rather than just trashing it. LOL
July 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Slower is probably better, though I doubt Topher will have any issues with it. (I can answer this now since I've had my baby and have experience with this, lol) Joel has been on Parent's Choice from birth because I didn't get my WIC for him until just yesterday, and he's been completely fine on it. It seems to be every bit as good as the Similac they compare it to. Hope Topher transitions easily!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
when we transitioned Sam from Enfamil Gentlease to Target's brand, we did 1:3, 2:2, then 3:1, then just Target. It was easier to transition him slowly.

This time was different. When we went from FL to MI WIC, we went from Good Start Supreme to Gentlease and did it cold turkey and Henry was fine. The nutritionist told us that the gentle formulas are the easiest to transition between.

July 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We switched from Enfamil Premium Lipil to Parents Choice and Chloe has done great with it so far. She's been on it for about a week and a half.

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search