Need serious advice

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Chicago12386
I asked this over in the breastfeeding section too. well a similar question.

I want to formula feed, I would prefer it but kind of in a dilemma.

I have always been very very stern on the subject of breastfeeding. I don't want to do it. I'm just not comfortable with it. BUT...........

Now that I am pregnant I don't know I've started to reconsider and I'm so scared with all the recalls there have been recently on formula and it scares me.

So here is the dilemma. If I formula feed I have to worry about that recalls and such. If I breast feed I won't be able to go back on my medicine for allergies. (Looks like I'm going to be needing allergy shots) Basically 3 weeks after the baby gets here I will be back to the worst allergy time of the year for me. (Which includes, runny nose, itchy eyes, hives)

So I'm kind of at a loss as to what is the best thing to do in my situation. Is breastfeeding really best or should I formula feed?

I don't know which would really be better for my baby at this point.

(Its so hard being off all alergy meds and everything right now being pregnant)

I'm going to be a stay at home mom by the way
June 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Chicago12386
I wanted to add after the baby is born I'm planning on going through allergy shots and stuff. This past march was the worst I almost quit breathing. So its pretty serious.

Do you think formula in our situation is probably the better option?
June 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you should do what is best for you. If you are going to be absolutely miserable and unable to enjoy your baby because you feel sick all the time then you should just go with formula.
I started out breastfeeding and I didn't have a big enough supply for my baby. After a month I switched him to all formula and he has done absolutely amazing and is growing so much better.
There isn't anything wrong with formula feeding, just do what is best for your family!

June 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Formula recalls do not occur often.

You should just weigh the pros and cons of breastfeeding and formula feeding...for both you and your baby. If you don't want to breastfeed and your health is going to suffer then that isn't good for you or your baby. Formula is adequate nutrition for babies. Whatever your decision is we're here to help you along if you have any questions!

June 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Nutritionally, the research shows that breast feeding is best - but that doesn't even BEGIN to factor in other factors including your lifestyle, medications necessary, your emotions towards it, etc. So what is "best" for you and your baby is for you to decide. Formula provides the necessary nutrition for your baby and formula fed babies all are happy, healthy little ones.

First - Like Tia said, formula recalls are rare. Yes, it happens, as it does with any food on the market. I don't think recalls should scare one away, but to each their own. Your feelings about it are a valid concern, but the chances of a recall are slim.

Second - if you are truly in need on your allergy medication, then you need to take it. You need to be able to function as a mother and take care of yourself... before you can effectively take care of your baby. Is their an alternative treatment for your allergies that is safe while nursing? Have you discussed options with your physician?

With that being said - it is MY opinion that if you have the ability and willingness to breastfeed, I think you should at least give it a try. You can always switch to formula if it isn't working out. But I believe that it is worth a try.
June 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I suffer from horrible allergies. I was pumping and it was awful. I wanted to take my allergy medication but couldn't. It was one of the reasons that I stopped. I still got my shots while breastfeeding because I was told it was okay. It made me feel really uneasy. You have to do what is best for you and your baby. I say try breastfeeding and she how it goes and if it doesn't work you won't have any regrets that you didn't try. I know for me formula feeding was and is so much better.

June 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Proud Happy Single Mom
I'd talk to your doctor about it first off and although people say "Breast is Best"....that isn't always the case. Breast wasn't best for my child and she's perfectly fine and healthy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search