Differences in formula brands?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Shyann's_Mommy09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just coming here for a bit of advice on this. Because of our current money situation we had to go on WIC for help with formula for Shyann and they only use Enfamil now and unfortunately Shyann was on Similac Isomil. Well the lady at WIC said there wouldn't be an difference and that its just a different brand and I asked if we should wean her off the Similac first before going to just the plain Enfamil Prosobe and she said no that we could just switch her right over. So for the past 3-4 days she has been on straight Enfamil now and has just been having a horrible time. Her poop changed.......before it was the normal way it always was and now its gotten to the point where she goes multiple times a day and its just little clumps and its turned from usually just being green to being green and orange (gross I know sorry ) She wont even eat the Enfamil unless its warn which is not normal for her usually I can make a bottle at room temp and she is fine. She has also been throwing up all day and has been screaming in pain.

So today while we were shopping with my in laws they bought a can of Similac for us so we could mix it and try to see if that makes a difference. Well I was looking at the cans and what it all has in it and there are some big difference in numbers on some things. Do you think this could be her issue and weaning her onto it slowly would have been better?

June 29th, 2009, 09:50 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Hmmm.... usually the brands are extremely similar and there shouldn't be a problem. Just curious... what did you notice was different on the labels? Baby formulas are so regulated by the FDA that they should be extremely similar... Although every baby is different.... and some babies are just very particular. I know mine it!!

Maybe taking it slow is a good idea. Trust your momma instincts I switched from Similac to Enfamil too because of WIC. We had no problems with the brand switch though.

Try giving her all Similac again for a day or two. Then slowly add bottles of Enfamil, one at a time each day.

Sounds like she might have some gas too - did you try any Mylicon or anything?
June 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM
For gas I always just give her Maylox, she gets that for her reflux too so it makes it easier than having to give 2 meds for pretty much the same thing.

Some of the amounts of ingredients were quite drastic in difference, Like on the Enfamil there is 1000 mcg of Niacin and on the Similac there is 1350 mcg. That's the biggest one but there are a few others that are off by a bit.

I started last night just by giving her bottles with 2 scoops of Similac and 1 of Enfamil and figured I would slowly add more Enfamil in a few days and keep doing it that way. So far this morning she seems better just her usual screaming self because mommy isn't right there paying attention to her lol.

June 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im not a FF momma yet, but I do know with our dogs (I don't mean to compare your daughter to a dog, this is just my experience with brand switches)....we HAVE to wean them off their food or they get really gross explosive poop, throw up, and act as if they have colic - rolling around on their bellies, etc....so I do totally think that the sudden switch could have affected her. It might not only be the ingredients...it could be the way it was processed, or anything like that.

Like for our dogs, say they were on 1c of food a day of Purina and we were switching to 1c science diet, we would start out with 3/4c purina, 1/4c SD for about 3-4 days, then go to half and half for 5-6d, then 1/4c P, 3/4c SD for about a week or 10 days before totally switching them to Science Diet!

I only offer this comparasion because dogs eat anything (literally!) but changing their food can be catastrophic...so I can't imagine what it would do to an infant's tummy just to up and change it! I hope your little girl starts feeling better soon!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Well I looked up info on the internet and we can use our food stamp money to buy formula so I think we are just going to keep her on the Similac and then have to ask if we can just not get formula with WIC or something because today she has had more of the Similac and has had a really good day. I don't mind having to switch if I have to but I would just rather keep her on something she is good with. This isn't the first time we have had to switch formula. She went from Enfamil Lipil out of the hospital and then we tried Gentlease, and then Allimentum, and then to the Soy. So far the Soy is the best and if that means we get less food so she gets the food she needs then Im fine with that.

June 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
I know that you can get the Allimentum from WIC if you have a doctors note. I don't know if you want to tey that?

June 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Well, that actually isn't that much of a difference, even though it appears that way. The measurement is in micrograms, which is actually a miniscule amount of anything. There are .001 micrograms in 1 milligram, so it's really comparing 1 to 1.3 mg of Vitamin B3, which is what Niacin is. It's really just a trace of a difference.

Give it time hun. It's only been one day. She isn't going to adjust over night.... I would give it a couple more days... at least 4... before you forgo your WIC formula and sacrifice your foodstamps. I know it's hard to see her upset, but it will be ok.
July 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
We had to switch Trinity's formula a few times in the beginning, but stayed within the same brand. She switched with minimal problems, but if the ingredient amounts are different then that could certainly be the cause of her problems. I agree with all the other ladies. Gradually weaning may be best for her, and if the problems continue after that then she may need a different formula within the Enfamil family. I hate that your WIC doesn't offer the formula that she uses. I know some states use only Enfamil and some only Similac.

July 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I've never had an issue switching my kids' formula from brand to brand (though Chelsea is VERY right about dogs and their food!), but I know that some babies do have an issue with it. I would still try to be switching her gradually. if after four days or a week she's still having issues, then switch her back.
July 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Proud Happy Single Mom
My DD couldn't take Enfamil. Caused major vomiting, upset stomach, gas, etc. She could only have Similac Sensitive which thank goodness is what my WIC is. Although the can might say that formula brands are the same THEY ARE NOT. The Target brand of sensitive formula says on it "compare to Similac Sensitive" WHATEVER! The target brand was horrible on my little baby. Major constipation plus other stuff It was awful. Have you tried the other kinds of Enfamil your WIC checks can get you? See if one of those work for you LO better. But giving up on it all together and just buying formula with your food stamps works too! I don't blame ya! Formula is a pain

Does anyone you know use the formula you get from WIC? If so you could continue to get it and give it to them........kinda cheating the system but oh well. They'll never know

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search