When do you plan to begin weaning?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
I know alot of moms like to have baby off of the bottle by one year. If that's the case (or not), when do you plan to START efforts to wean baby?

July 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Well I think I will just have to play it by ear and see how she does.... when I think she has the motor skills and desire to start with a cup (we aren't going to use sippy cups) I will let her try and teach her to use one.
July 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Luke didn't have any transitional problems at all between the bottle and the sippy. We just stopped using bottles one day and started in with cups. He was nine months old at the time.

With Lauren, if she transitions that smoothly, I'll probably do it around the same age.. maybe I'll wait until she's a year. With Luke, we transitioned because he was a really big baby, and formula wasn't filling his tummy at all, and was just costing way too much money ($26 every 2.5 days!). Lauren is a lot smaller, so we'll have to see how much she's eating when the time comes.
July 3rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Proud Happy Single Mom
here in a few months I'm going to start getting more sippy cups (right now i only have 3) and I'm really going to start working on it. I don't plan on having her completely off bottles until 12 months or older but that depends on her. I'm not going to force her to do anything if she isn't ready.

She does try to sit completely up (on the floor by herself) and drink a bottle. Can't figure out though that she needs to tip the bottle up.
July 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We will see when she is ready. The daycare that she goes to helps us to wean her off the bottle. They help us with sippy cups when she starts the next room which is 9 months so she will get help with them there and bottles at home and daycare. When she transitions from that room at 15 months she has to be exclusively on sippy cups.

July 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
My older 2 girls did really well on the transition. I like that Estin will do well because he is breastfed but I am would about my formula feeder. He loves to drink so I don't think that I will have a problem but... i don't know. I think that I will start about 10-11 months.

July 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started introducing her to the sippy cup around 4 to 5 months. She drinks juice out of it now and sometimes I'll give her formula in it, but mainly just when we're in the car or out in public. She refuses to hold her bottle, but will hold the sippy cup. I guess by 12 months she'll be off the bottle, but I haven't forced her. I think she likes cuddling when she gets the bottle and that's why she won't hold it herself.

July 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
AmandaR
Reagan hates sippy cups, and we have tried every brand on the market. She kind of takes the Nuk ones, but those has a sort of nipple. She can hold the sippy, but only plays with them. We're working on it though. We would like her off bottles by 1 year and especially by 13 months when baby brother arrives.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search