Platex drop ins bottle advice

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
ANGWife
I use the playtex drop ins and I know alot of you moms do as well.

I use the latex nipples because DS seems to like them best. I think it recommends to replace the nipples after alot of wear. We've been using the same set for more than 2 months.

How often do you replace them? Or do you just wait until you actually SEE them damaged?

Also, we use the slow flow nipples. It recommends using fast flow after 3 months. He doesn't seem to struggle with the slow flow and does spit up every now and then while feeding. But I don't want to buy a bunch of slow flow if he'll soon need the fast flow. How do you know when baby is ready for a faster nipple? What have been your experiences?
July 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Ya know, I struggled with this... switching to a faster flow of nipple.

If he is doing fine with the slow flow, then I would just leave it at that one. I knew Kaylin was ready for a faster flow when she was working really hard to get more milk - breathing heavy, unlatching from the bottle a bunch and fussing then taking it back.

Kaylin just started doing that about a month or two ago. So she was 4ish months.

As far as damage.... if you SEE damage... yes throw it out ASAP. I think about 3 months is a safe bet. I wouldn't buy more slow flows personally. I would just wait until he is ready for the faster flow. But if they look worn out before then, go ahead and buy them.
July 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really think it all depends on your kid. Some are just harder on nipples than others. We use the drop ins with the latex nipples too. My DD is 3 1/2 months old and we haven't had to buy new ones or switch flows yet, they seem fine. She has no problems drinking out of the slow flow. I didn't use the drop ins with my son but we never switched to fast flow. He always did great with the slow flow not sure if the playtex ones would be different though

July 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister's daughter has always used slow flow and her son always used fast flow. I don't think you need to switch unless the baby is showing signs of wanting/needing a change.
July 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
we just transitioned to the medium flow nips for Henry in the last few weeks. His spitting up didn't increase or decrease, it was just taking him FOREVER to finish a bottle.

I've read to replace every three months regardless of wear and tear, but if they're not damaged, I think you can go longer. They're not cheap, after all. I use the silicone ones and I think they tend to be a bit more durable.

July 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
we never used fast flow with Katie......
we switched her to med flow at around 4 mo I think....
we bought new ones after 2 1/2 months.....squeeze the nipple when they are dry, if they are sticky, chances are they need to be replaced, that's how I would check mine...lol
IMO fast flow is just TOO FAST !

July 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I used the latex slow flow with DD #1, never replaced them or switched to a faster flow... though after about 6 mos. I did switch to a diff. brand of bottles just because I got sick of buying the liners...

July 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Proud Happy Single Mom
^^ I took Emily off the drop-ins as well because it was so wasteful (not to mention expensive) and I was just plain ol sick of the stinking things!!!

Emily is 9 months old and still uses slow flow nipples. She just got 3 new bottles (thanks to mommy for breaking some oops) with medium flow nipples that have been working wonderfully for her though.

I don't know how much money I wasted buying what companies where telling me my child should have. Never again! I wouldn't change until your child is showing signs regardless of age. I never used latex nipples but I heard the wore out quicker. Personally I never threw away or replaced Em's nipples. She used a ton of different bottles and had tons of nipples for all of them so the way I figured was that they weren't getting used as much on account of there being so many of them
July 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
ANGWife
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Mom2Emily~* View Post
^^ I took Emily off the drop-ins as well because it was so wasteful (not to mention expensive) and I was just plain ol sick of the stinking things!!!
We recycle them with our other plastics.
July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I used to recycle them too...
I just got irritated with them after a while. LOL

Yeah, the ages on the boxes are only a suggestion based on their research.. and every kid is different. If they are content with what they have, I say leave it along. LOL If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search