Intolerance to formula?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
How can I tell?

I stopped BFing on Saturday and started him on Similac (Because that's what WIC provides and we have an appointment on Friday, I didn't want to switch him 2x in one week).

So today is day four, he has only pooped once and it was a very small amount. He is VERY gassy. He burps and passes gas more than any baby I have ever seen. We use gas drops and Dr Brown's bottles and he still is extremely gassy.

Today about 6 hours ago he got very irritable. He has been awake almost non-stop during this 6 hours, falling asleep for 10-15 minutes here and there. He is screaming 1/2 the time he eats, the other 1/2 the time he is fine. I can hear the formula going into his belly like it weighs a ton. His tummy makes these horrid gurgling noises. He has been burping and passing large amounts of gas, straining and screaming for hours. He's also making these little gaspy noises when he is breathing.

I don't know what to do, is he not tolerating the formula? Is it just an adjustment period? I don't want to call the after hours pediatrician, the office says only to call if it's an emergency that cannot wait until office hours are open. But I am worried!
July 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He could be lactose intolerant. Regular formulas are milk based. Both of my kids had/have to be on Similac Sensitive (well the generic parent's choice kind) which is lactose free because regular milk or formula gives them horrible gas and belly issues. Or you might try soy milk. I personally don't like soy for many reasons but others seem to have no problems. HTH!

July 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Switching from breastmilk to formula can be hard on a baby's tummy.... poor little guy!!!

How old is your son? The pooping less may be do to his age and his developing digestive system, but it could also be the formula. His system is probably just adjusting to the formula. You can read a lot of great information about constipation at this website: constipation, infant
When I switched Kaylin to formula from breastmilk, it did take a toll on her poops. It took about a week and a half to normalize.

You might try a gentler formula like Similac Sensitive. It is designed to help babies with gas and fussiness. It has a special blend of carbohydrates that helps with the gassiness. You can read more about it on their website: Similac Sensitive Infant Formula - Easy to Digest Baby Formula for Less Fussiness & Gas - StrongMoms

You might try gripe water in addition to the gas drops.

I would call the pediatrician if he doesn't get any relief in a few days and after switching to a sensitive formula. They may have some additional suggestions.
July 22nd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the ideas. He is 17 days old. He was able to poo a tiny bit lastnight and seems to be feeling somewhat better after letting out the copious amounts of gas he did yesterday. I am going to call the ped today though. I have been putting it off because she is major pro BF and I switched over the weekend and I know she is going to give me grief about my decision. I hate having to explain my choice to FF.

Some others have suggested to me adding an ounce of baby prune juice to 4oz of formula once a day to see if it helps or using karo syrup. I recall using diluted pear juice with my other son but I don't remember how old he was.
July 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I'm sorry to hear that you will have to "explain yourself" to your ped. That's just not fair.... I hope she goes easy on you I know the ridicule that can come with a decision to stop breast feeding.

Adding prune juice is something that you can do... but since he is only a couple weeks old, I would hold off on that. It could do more harm than good... Ask your pediatrician before you try that one. Especially since he pooped last night. I recall Kaylin's poops slowing down around this age... it may be that and a combination of the new formula.

Glad to hear he is doing better!
July 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
We went to the ped. apparently mine is on vacation so we got a different one, didn't have to explain a thing. She didn't even ask me why.

She suggested we try Isomil instead of the Similac advanced. She said he may be having some reflux or an intolerance to the milk. She said to give it through the weekend and if he hasn't improved to come back. DH said he pooped before we left today (he didn't tell me.) and he said at the doctor he pooped yesterday(he didn't tell me that either! wth?!) but it was very thick, which i assume his poo is going to get thicker from the formula anyway.

So we're going to try the isomil and see if it helps. I know DS2 has huge spitting up issues and we tried soy and it made it worse. Brennan isn't spitting up at all, he is just very gassy, so we will see if this helps at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search