Introducing myself..and a question

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2009, 04:52 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My name is Lauren, married to Jay for 4 years. We just had our firt child 6 days ago. I started off only bf, even though I hated it, but he did not tolerate the breastmilk. We just met with his pediatrician, who only wants him on lactose free formula. I don't know if it is hereditary, but my brother, mother, and I have a horrible intolerance to lactose. Anyways, I don't know much about formula feeding, so I hope to learn a lot here.

If you are interested, here is Wesley's birth sory with some pics.
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f8...-40-weeks.html

My question is... since they started the soy, Wes has been super hungry and eating much better. But, he eats every 2 hours, and poops and/or pees every 30 mins or so. The pedi said it was good, since he is a skinny guy born 19.5 inches and 5.9 lbs. I did not know if it was normal. I thought FF fed babies went longer between meals. I can't get any sleep because he is either eating or soiling a diaper.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
July 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
My little guy is 17 days old and we just switched to formula 5 days ago. he has been eating every 2-3 hours and 2.5oz to 3oz at a time. I think it's pretty normal, especially in the first few weeks, to eat that often. Their tummies are very small and can't hold much at one time. It's good your little guy is pooping, mine isn't yet on the formula. As far as the sleep.. welcome to the world of having a newborn lol the world where there is no sleep, only sleepy parents
July 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Lauren! Did you get my PM?
Anyway, that sounds normal for a new little guy his size. My DD Cassidy was 7 pounds 10 ounces at birth and she only ate 2-3 ounces for months and months. She just wasn't a big eater. And she ate at least twice during the night and usually 3 times. We won't talk about Joel, he's a little piglet.

As long as he's tolerating the formula well there's really no concern...except for you, poor thing. The poop will slow down in a week or 2 though, so don't get too scared. His system will regulate itself soon. Joel eats a lot and often, but his poops have slowed down to 2 or 3 a day instead of every feeding. Hopefully Wesley will start to slow down soon!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sara, I did get your PM. Thanks for the help. I meant to write you back, but I'm kind of out of it, lol.

Thanks for letting me know this is normal. I also think he has his days and nights mixed up now. We will have to work on that. Ugh.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
July 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Welcome!!! Glad to have you hear!

It's good that he is wetting/dirtying diapers like that. And also that he is hungry and taking the bottle fine. That's all normal. It's also normal for him to be eating that often.

It is a common misunderstanding that formula fed babies go longer between feedings or even that they sleep through the night sooner that breastfed babies. Newborn babies are just not capable of going much longer than two hours between feedings, be it breast or bottle. Their tummies are very tiny and can only hold so much. While he might start going longer as he gets older, the formula will not influence this, his growing body will be. There is some "four hour schedule" that some one published for formula fed babies, but in my experience, that doesn't fly with most kids! They have a mind of their own

I'm glad to hear he is doing well with the soy formula! Keep us updated darling! Get some rest and enjoy that newborn! They grow up so fast!!
July 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
fuzzysunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fuzzysunshine Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzysunshine
Hi Lauren! D eats every 2 to 3 hours and usually has a dirty diaper before and after Sounds like your little man is doing great!
July 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chloe eats every 2 to 4 hours, it varies from day to day so I'd say it's pretty normal! (She only goes 4 hours between a feeding at night)

How many ounces is Wes eating at a time?

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
July 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and thanks for sharing your birth story. I'm Julie married to Dan and our little girl Emily is 5 months. When she was first born and we switched from breastmilk she was eating every 2 to 3 hours. Now she goes 3 to5 hours.

August 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm just updating to tell you ladies that Wesley was not doing well again last week. He screamed for almost 24 hours straight, and we took him back to his pediatrician. He had a rash, and fussed the whole time we were there. His pediatrician said it looked like he was still having issues with his formula (soy) and she put him on hypoallergenic formula (Similac Alimentum).

His feeding issues have been so frustrating, but I am happy to say it's been a week, and he does not have a rash, he barely fusses, he doesn't need Mylicon anymore, and he gained a pound! We are sooo happy to finally have a happy, full baby. With all of the food allergies that run in my family, I guess the pediatrician will work with us when it's time to introduce solids, but we still have a while for that.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
August 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
YAY!! That is so great to hear!! I was thinking about you earlier today, wondering how he was doing... I just haven't had a chance to post today until now. Glad to hear he is doing well! Sometimes finding the right formula is very tricky! Especially if sensitive tummies and food allergies run in the family.
August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
YAY. I am glad that he is doing well now and gaining weight. You had to be so frustrated.

August 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
My son is on the Nutramigen. Same the but in Enfamil. I hope that it is working out for you. I BF my baby for 6 months and then switched. He eats every 3 hours and still is not gaining weight very well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search