WIC question?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
Right now we are using Similac advance because I know that is what WIC gives and we have our appointment today. The doctor suggested we try Isomil Advance because Brennan has been very gassy and fussy, arching his back, screaming etc. sincw we put him on the Similac. We didn't switch yet because A- I had JUST bought a full can of the regular and it was opened and I didn't want to waste it, and B- A bunch of people have told me NOT to use the soy formula because it could cause him to develop a soy allergy (?). What do I do? I hate to see him so uncomfortable because of this formula but I don't want to get checks for soy and him not tolerate that and be stuck with it, but I have heard WIC won't give other formulas like hypoallergenic or a gentler brand.

Anyone have any helpful tips or advice before our appointment today? I feel terrible, like I did this to him because I choose to stop BF and now he is so miserable.

FYI- Symptoms are, arching back, extreme gassiness even with using gas drops every few hours (we cannot go longer than 4 hours between giving him them because if we do he screams for hours and hours and hours while burping and passing gas very frequently.) slight runny nose, NO vomiting and he has only spit up twice since we started formula. He is having BM's and they are normal looking though he does have to work a bit harder to get them out. He is 19 days old.
July 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If your WIC uses Similac then you can get the Similac Sensitive (milk based but lactose free) and it works better for gas than soy! That's what my son used but since then our WIC changed to Goodstart and only offers either regular or soy no exceptions so we dropped it. Mya needs lactose free too and I'd rather just buy generic of the Similac Sensitive than use soy. IMO soy causes more problems than does good, I refuse to use it.

July 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How's he doing? I didn't see your post in time, sorry, but I hope WIC was able to work with you and get you something gentler. KUP!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
First of all sweetie, don't be so hard on yourself. Whatever your reason was to stop breastfeeding, I'm sure it was in your family's best interest.

You may have already gone to your appointment, seeing as it's late in the day, but I will write out my recommendations anyways.

If your state's WIC is using Similac, you should be able to get Similac Sensitive with out any questions. Just don't forget to mention it at your appointment. With a doctor's note you can get any formula your baby needs.

Personally, I would try Similac Sensitive before switching to a soy formula... the difference between the two is that the soy formula is made from soybean protein and the Similac Sensitive is made from cow's milk proteins but is broken down further to be easier to digest and help with the symptoms you mentioned - gas, fussiness, irritability during feedings, etc.

From WebMD: Group: Few Reasons to Use Soy Formula
Quote:
some Use of soy formula that is lactose-free may be indicated in babies with lactose intolerance. However, the AAP states that its use should be restricted because very few would need total avoidance of lactose.
I would recommend trying the sensitive formula (with broken down proteins) rather than switching to soy, which is made from a different protein all together.
July 25th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
Thanks so much!

We did get Similac sensitive. The WIC person we saw was SOOO nice and helpful. She commended me for my efforts at breastfeeding and didn't get on my case at all. She suggested sensitive over soy because it is cow's milk based and she said it's best to rule our cows milk before switching to soy. But even if this doesn't work, I can get a Rx from the doctor for a more specialized formula because of digestive issues, she didn't seem to think that would be hard to do if necessary. he has had 2 bottles so far of the sensitive and OMG, he didn't arch his back the whole time! he also burped right away instead of working at it for 10 minutes. We'll see how he does over the next few days, hopefully i'll get my happy baby back!
July 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Oh that's WONDERFUL!!! Glad to hear the WIC appointment went well too! I love my WIC lady... she is very helpful and supportive.
July 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
glad to see the WIC appt worked out.....another thought on using soy....a lot of kids with lactose sensitivities are also sensitive to soy. my son was. hes' on Lactaid now at 4, but it was hard to find the right formula. we finally settled with Enfamil Gentlease after trying nutramigen and soy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search