Why did you decide to formula feed?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
We have all heard it before: "breast is best." BUT - We all have our unique situations and circumstances. And in the end, we all have to make a decision that is BEST for our babies and for ourselves. Everyone has a right to choose how to feed their baby. This can often be a touchy subject, but it can also be helpful to know others' situations. There is no wrong answer, so don't be shy - please share your story with us! What influenced your decision?

I fully intended to exclusively breastfeed my daughter. But being a single mom and very ill with hyperemesis gravidarum throughout my pregnancy and even in the weeks after delivery, I did not produce enough milk. I pushed through pretty hard for the first nine weeks, pumping, supplementing, etc. But when I got the flu at nine weeks post-partum, my supply basically dried up. I had no choice but to formula feed her. I agonized over it for quite a while, but I know my daughter is healthy and happy just the same
August 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
I tried to BF all 3 of my kids. The first I had a lot of latching issues and he would scream like he was starving all the time so I started pumping. My supply dwindled quickly and by 2.5 weeks I had to stop because he wasn't getting enough. I would pump for 30 minutes and not even get 1 full ounce with a hospital grade pump!

With #2 He was a biter. He would clamp down when latching and suck through his clenched gums. it was sooo painful. I was in agony plus I was a single parent at the time with a newborn and 4 year old, my husband was gone with the Military until #2 was 4 months old. I agonized over the decision to stop, but I hated feeding him, I would cry every time it got close to feeding time. My nipples were bleeding and bruised, I was so miserable. My MIL told me that all her kids were FF and they are all just fine. That #2 would be fine too. I think the big reason so many BF women keep at it even when they don't want to is the insane pressure to do it.

With this one I stopped because of the pain again. He was not latching right. I had a huge hole (not bleeding) in the side of my nipple. I saw 4 LC's and I just could not get it right at home. It was to the point I was crying between feeds at the thought of having to feed him, I would scream in pain every time he latched and be sobbing through the whole feeding. I just could not do it anymore.

They say BF is a natural wonderful thing and I am sure it is for some people, but it was not for me. It was a source of great stress and something that every time I did it made me very depressed over my inability to 'get it right'.
August 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never intended on breastfeeding. It always kind of gave me the "heebie jeebies" just thinking about it...not when others did it but just thinking about ME doing it. Plus it always seemed so stressful and restrictive with being the only one who could feed the baby.

Once I had Chloe and started formula feeding I kind of wished that I had given it a shot but my milk had already dried up. It is very nice to be able to have hubby help with feedings and to be able to leave her with her grandparents for more than a couple of hours though so I'm ok with choosing to formual feed.

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
August 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Thanks for sharing your stories ladies!
August 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I bfed my son until he was 6 months old and then my supply started crashing. So I started supplementing with formula and then he just gave on on the breast once he realized he got more out of the bottle and didn't have to fight for it. With my daughter she's horribly lactose intolerant. She could not stand BM. She screamed in pain constantly, had horrible gas and bowel problems. So after 3 weeks we switched her to lactose free formula and figured out her reflux problem and she's been great since.

August 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Chicago12386
I will be formula feeding. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding. No one in my family ever breast fed. Didn't know anything about it until I was a teen and I had one relative that did and she came into my house in the same room I was with 3 of my friends. Whipped out her boob and started feeding her baby. She didn't even cover up. Very traumatic for me, because for the rest of high school I was tortured over it.

Needless to say I'm just not comfortable with it. I was bottlefed, both my sisters were. I have a half sister who was breast fed but she is no healthier than the rest of us. So I am happy with my decision to formula feed.

I considered breastfeeding for half a second when I became pregnant but only half a second
August 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I breastfed for 6 weeks mainly because I heard a lot of information about how it was good for the baby. Any amount's good... even a day. Lots of people put pressure on me to do it and so I gave it a shot. She latched on perfectly and seemed to be doing okay. Me on the otherhand was frustrated since she'd want to be on the boob all day long. The first night in the hospital one of the nurses came in and helped me with learning how to breastfeed and said that she had used a pacifier on her son when he seemed to just want to suck on something. I think she felt bad because I was crying in my room since I couldn't sleep.

When I brought her home she was doing alright. Only problem was that she wasn't putting weight on good. So for the next few weeks we'd constantly have to make trips to the doctor's office so she could have weight checks. The pediatrician kept encouraging me to breastfeed so I did. I wish I had supplemented her on formula before giving the OK for Jordin to have blood work done. I felt awful over that.

So at the 6 week mark I got frustrated and decided to just put her on formula since my milk supply wasn't good. Jason's mom made me upset because she made a comment about how she knew all along I should've put her on formula. She'd even talk about someone she knew who had a baby a month before me and had a freezer stocked with breast milk. It was upsetting.

Jordin's pediatrican told me maybe the next time things will be different and I'll be able to breastfeed. I don't know if I'll give it another shot since I got depressed over it. I felt like a huge failure. Anyway, I'm glad I decided to give her formula. She put on weight and is growing just fine. That's all that matters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search