Anyone use Dr. Brown's Bottles?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
How do you mix formula?

I feel like when it's feeding time I have to conduct a science experiment! This is what we do..

We mix the formula in a smaller bottle that has a lid, THEN we add 1-2 drops of gas drops to the formula and swirl it around. (This helps get the bubbles out). THEN I pour it into the Dr Browns bottle and feed him. It's such a hassle! We do this because the papers that came with the bottles said not to shake formula in them, I assume because of the tubing and stuff.

So if you use Dr Browns, how do you mix formula? Do you do what I do or is there an easier way??
August 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate those bottles. But when we used them we did the same thing as you. When Jordin was a newborn I'd buy the concentrated formula which made things a little easier.

August 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I use Dr. Browns bottles and I love them!

I used to do that with drop ins, because I could never measure them correctly in the drop-in bags.

I mix a pitcher of formula in the evening to use the next day. Kaylin gets Enfamil AR which is very thick, and is hard to mix already. I use an electric hand mixer. It takes about 2 minutes and there are no bubbles or foam at all. This makes for a very even mixture and no clumps at all. I make 30 oz at a time and always use it within 24 hours, like the container says.

If I am out and about and need to make a bottle, I just shake it up and make sure it is REALLY well shaken. I also take off the lid every few shakes and make sure their are no clumps in the parts.
August 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Rocker*mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i use Dr Brown bottles too.. i do the same thing with the smaller bottle, i use the medela bottles that came with my pump that i dont use anymore lol but i've also started swirling to mix too cuz it helps with the bubbles and it seems to mix it just as well.. i've never heard of using gas drops, maybe i should try that because i just got avent bottles to try and they make sooo many bubbles lol

August 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
when we used them with my son, we used a knife to mix it in the bottle

August 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM
cynicalgal
I used them - they were ok for the first few months but then I simplified and use something different/less expensive now.

anyhow, how much formula are you making? When I made a 6 oz bottle, I made it in an 8 oz bottle. I put 6 oz water into the bottle, added the formula, put on cap, shook real good, removed cap, dropped in 'contraption, capped with nipple and away we went - no problem.

watch out for flecks of blue paint to come off the bottle and get all over the place, another reason I switched.
September 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do what the above poster does, you can buy caps for Dr Brown's bottles both regular and wide neck. I pour in the water, add the powder, screw on the cap, shake well, and then remove the cap and put in the straw/vent & rubber thing and screw on the nipple.

Amazon.com: Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Standard Storage Travel Caps Replacement, 3 Pack: Baby

Amazon.com: Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Wide Neck Storage Travel Caps Replacement, 2 Pack: Baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search