Intro, and question about FF in hospital, after birth

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello ladies!!! So glad this section is here! I am expecting my second child in February, and will be formula feeding, I am thinking exclusively at this point. I did try BFing with my older daughter, it just did not work for us. She was a preemie and had some issues, but even if she had been a champ...I still don't think it would have been for me. I went through a lot of guilt about it, but formula JUST WORKED BETTER FOR US. Even though she ended up having to be on Nutramigen, I was still happy with our choice to go to formula after about 3-4 weeks.

Fast forward to now.....I am thinking I do not even want to BF this baby at all....and have been getting looks of horror from a few doctors. I MAY decide to go for a week or 2, but is it worth it, to do that, just to switch baby to a bottle after? I know I am NOT BFing for any long period of time. And I HATE pumping.

Has anyone here FF their baby right from the start?? How does it work, exactly? Did you bring bottles/formula with you to the hospital? Were the doctors and nurses supportive? (Thinking I am going to get a lot of dirty looks) How did it go? Did you feel guilty at all for not BFing at all?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Congratulations on your little one!!!

Quote:
Has anyone here FF their baby right from the start?? How does it work, exactly? Did you bring bottles/formula with you to the hospital?
I breastfed for a while before I switched, but I think I can answer your questions:
Are you seeing an obstetrician or a midwife? He/she would be a great resource for this. Or you can also call the hospital you will be delivering at. At the hospital that I gave birth at and the ones my sisters in law did, the hospital provided the ready-to-feed bottles to mothers who choose to formula feed while they stayed in the hospital. You should not have to bring formula and bottles.

You will obviously have to have it ready for when you come home. I would suggest finding out what formula the hospital provides and purchasing a small amount of that (1-2 cans), in case your baby can't tolerate it for some reason. Then, if your baby does fine with that, you can always buy more once you know. But then if for some reason you need a gentle formula or Nutrimigen, you aren't stuck with some other formula.

Quote:
Were the doctors and nurses supportive?
I would certainly hope they would be. You will not be the first person they have seen who wants to exclusively formula feed. I can see where some might try and convince you otherwise, which is where you need to stick to your guns and explain that you have made this decision carefully. Just remember that you know what is best for you and your baby.

Quote:
I MAY decide to go for a week or 2, but is it worth it, to do that, just to switch baby to a bottle after?
It is MY OPINION that it is worth it. Even if it's just while your in the hospital or for a few weeks so your baby gets your colostrum and antibodies. Here is some information on colostrum from LLL: LLLI | What is colostrum? I feel if you have the ability to breastfeed, give it a shot. You can always switch if it isn't working out for you or your not comfortable with it.

Now, this is just MY personal opinion, and I think you need to stick to YOUR feelings. If you really think it's not for you and it won't work for you and your baby - don't do it. There is nothing wrong with that - you have to do what you are comfortable with

Last edited by JennyBlossom; August 8th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
August 9th, 2009, 04:31 AM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
i didnt attempt bf with my son. he went straight onto formula. the(most of them anyways) hospital provided us with formula and bottles (its an bottle with premade formula) and it went well. We didnt get any strange looks or anything. With Bella, I bf her for 3 weeks and then switched her to formula. It was easy for us. I introduced a bottle and formula on her first day to make sure she was getting enough and i did that until my milk came in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search