Reflux?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
I am thinking about calling the doctor tomorrow and asking if she can see Brennan for reflux.

He often swallows hard when he is drinking, regardless of the bottle and quite often, i'd say 80% of the time will be fussing at the bottle, still drinking but making uncomfortable noises, stop sucking and cry out etc. It's like it hurts when he swallows. He also drools a LOT and has a wet nose all the time, coughs often even when not eating and make wheezy gasping noises when all the time (eating or not). His burps are often hard wet sounding belches, sometimes accompanied by a small amount of spit up. He'll drink like .5 of an ounce then be crying and fussing but sucking on anything he can get his mouth on (except the paci!) but when we give the bottle back he starts gulping it down and crying when he drinks until he has to stop and starts crying more. During the day he naps horrible, he is awake almost the whole day because almost every time he falls asleep he wakes about 15 minutes later screaming like he is in pain. At night he will sleep for longer stretches usually though.

Does this sound like reflux to those of you who have experienced it?
August 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
It could be. Sometimes Bella will fuss at the bottle while drinking but its usually bc of a tummyache. My son had reflux and he spit up a TON, like handfulls. He was put on zantac for it. I hope you and the dr are able to help out your little one!

eta - have you tried popping him after his feed and during while he is eating?

August 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
It sounds like it could be - sounds similar to the things Kaylin was experiencing, except she was spitting up like a fountain, all day long.

I would talk to your ped. about it. Maybe she can prescribe an anti-acid. There are things that are often recommended for kiddos with reflux - like positioning, thickening formula,more frequent burping, and feeding smaller amounts - but I tend to hear those recommended more often ewhen the baby is spitting up. It sounds like Brennan is not spitting up? I didn't see it mentioned in your post...Either way, just because he's not spitting up doesn't mean he doesn't have reflux.

Check out this website for some suggestions of things you can try. Tell your pediatrician you tried this things and whether or not they help. I would not try thickening his formula until a doctor tells you to though.

Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) | BabyCenter
August 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Talk to your pedi. It sounds like what Mya was going through. Her pedi suggested frequent burps and sitting up after eating and if that didn't work he'd put her on zantac. But I really didn't want my baby to be on a medicine everyday if it wasn't necessary so I tried rice cereal with her formula and she has been great ever since. She doesn't even need alot, the doc said you can put up to 6tsp in 6oz of formula and Mya only ever needs 2tsp in 6oz. So she never needed to be on the medicine. Also there are formulas that already have rice cereal added for reflux and/or spitting up. Similac even has one now that is lactose free with the cereal that other brands don't have yet.

August 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
brennan doesnt really spit up. he has 'wet burps' where when he burps he spits up a little in his mouth almost every time but it usually is never enough to come out of his mouth.

he only eats 4oz at a time and he burps after every ounce plus after as much as necessary and we keep him upright for 30 minutes after feeding.

i'd rather he not be on meds so if i can help him in other ways i'm all for it!
August 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I would still say thats spitting up. Even though he's not projectile vomiting, formula still shouldn't be coming back up with the burp.

I would try adding the rice cereal to his formula. It is recommended to add 1 teaspoon per ounce of formula. So if you are doing 4 ounce bottles, put 4 tsp of rice cereal in when you mix it up.

Have you talked to you ped. yet? You might want to see what they suggest first before altering his formula.
August 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I am on hold right now trying to make an appointment lol Hopefully she can see him today and I can get some answers, he seems so miserable when he eats. He just had 2oz and has burped like 6 times and has struggled through the whole 2oz. I'll let you know what she says!
August 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
What formula is he on?

It could just be really bad gas. Have you tried giving him Mylicon gas drops?
August 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
he is on similac sensitive. he gets mylecon every 3-4 hours AND we put 1-2 drops in every bottle to cut the bubbles.
August 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hhhhmmmm.... have you talked to the ped yet?

What a bummer!! How frustrating...
August 14th, 2009, 04:07 AM
we head to the ped at 9:45 (est) today. wish us luck! he has been spitting up more over the past few days too, i hope we get answers. its rare we go a whole feeding without him screaming and fussing.
August 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Let us know how it goes
August 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Just got back from the ped. She put us on Soy (And gave us 4 ready to feed bottles as samples!) and said to let her know mid week next week how it is going, if nothing has changed then we'll start Zantac for reflux.

It's pretty consistent. He drinks 4oz and EVERY bottle, 2oz in he starts struggling. We burp him and less than 10 sucks into the bottle he starts freaking out and he continues to do this until it is gone, all the while we are burping him every 1/2 ounce or less for the remaining 2oz. Hopefully we get this figured out soon so my happy boy will come back!
August 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I hope that works!!! Soy? That's interesting... I wonder if she thinks he has a milk allergy?? Yay for free samples though!! LOL

Hopefully this resolves it... poor baby boy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search