talking about bottles....

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rocker*mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just posted a reply to Kylerzmom's post from august 6th lol but it reminded me of a question i have..

I just bought an avent bottle to try (i think its one of the last few i havent tried yet, and i posted a long time ago about how i am a bottle-aholic hahaha)
anyone use these? it seems to make soooo many bubbles while he's eating, is that normal?? i have been using playtex vent-air and dr.brown bottles usually and they dont produce that many bubbles so i'm just wondering if thats normal in the avent ones..

also Kylerzmom says she uses gas drops in hers.. could i try that?? Hayden has started screaming sometimes after the bottles are done (in all the types) so i uped him to 5 ounces but he still does it so i'm wondering if he's gassy or he needs cereal??

ok that was more than one question haha but as i type i think of more.. he just turned 4 months yesterday so i need to make an appt anyway but DF is having issues with his insurance so i'm scared to go in and them making me pay full price for a visit or something...
anyway thanks for the help!

August 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bubbles are normal when you use powdered formula.

Sure, use gas drops if you think he is having issues. The drops also help with the bubbles in the formula.
August 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
We used Avent bottles with DS2. I don't remember if they were bubbly or not.. You could do the gas drops. I usually mix the formula real well, then put in 1-2 drips from the dropper, then gently swirl/mix it around. It helps get some of the bubbles out. Also I noticed (since we mix in a separate container, then pour into the Dr Browns bottle) that when we do that a lot of the bubbles/foam stays in the container the formula was mixed in so by the time he is eating, between the drops and that container switch, there are no bubbles left at all.
August 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
If you think he is having gas issues, sure - try some Mylicon drops in his bottle. They are safe to use at every feeding and even in between orally. Rice cereal is usually only given in a bottle if the baby has reflux. That is something you should discuss with your pediatrician.

As for the bubbles in the bottle - I have no idea, as I have never used those. But I mix in a large container too, like KylerzMom.. By time I pour it into my Dr. B's bottle, there are no bubbles.
August 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
I havent used those bottles so i dont know?! I know the ventair bottles we have here, they have bottles but in a min or so they are usually gone after i let it sit! I agree with the mylicon advice!

August 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Rocker*mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks for the help... i asked a friend of mine who i know uses the same bottles and she actually saw what i was talking about since i had to feed Hayden.. and she was shocked at how much bubbles were left... and we use the same exact nipple size and everything...and powdered formula..so i have no idea why mine is messed up hahaha we think its the way hayden sucks..hes tongue tied so he sucks funny... i have to get that taken care of asap anyway so that he can start eating solids :-) yikes!

August 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use Avent bottles with Emily since birth. We get a lot of air bubbles as she sucks especially if she is really hungry. You can hear them too. I have found if I refit the ring on sometimes it goes away. We have had to use Mylicon with Emily since birth because she gets so much gas. I put a couple drops in every bottle. Our pediatrician said it is safe and not habit forming

August 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Hey Jessica! We use the Avent bottles too and I was reading the other day (on their website maybe?) about how the bubbles are totally normal. I think it has something to do with the nipple - the design of the nipples allows air to rise to the top of the liquid instead of the baby ingesting it. I never really noticed it until after I read this but we get lots of bubbles too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search