Update on us

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
Brennan has been on Isomil since Friday. I have noticed a SMALL decrease in his fussing during feeds, but not much. However he is spitting up more now. He spits up a little at almost every feed now. Sometimes it just stays in his mouth, sometimes comes out. Ugh! I don't know what to do! I hate the thought of medicating him. (he is on less doses of the gas drops now that we aren't having to put it in his bottles though)

DS2 was on meds for suspected allergies when he was an infant and put through all these allergy tests etc. all before he turned 10 months old. I hated having to give him Zyrtec every day and have him skin tested for allergies. The thought of having to medicate another baby, for any reason, makes me sad.

What are my other options if it IS reflux? What can I suggest to the doctor we try aside from medication? I'd almost rather go back to the Similac Sensitive if we have to pick between the two. The Isomil smells HORRID and it makes his poo smell really really bad, his breath stinks, his burps and gas stink and he's spitting up more. Atleast on the Sensitive he wasn't spitting up much and nothing about him stank.

WWYD?
August 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would go back to the similac sensitive and put some rice in it, just trying it and seeing if it works isn't going to hurt him and if it works that's great! It works for Mya, but some people don't think it's right to put cereal in a bottle. But whatever it works and even our pedi said it's ok!

August 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I would recommend Enfamil AR or Similac Sensitive RS. They are are both made with added rice starch to reduce spit up and help babies with reflux.

Similac Sensitive R.S.
Enfamil AR

Kaylin has acid reflux and gets Enfamil AR.
She was spitting up before, during, and after feedings. It was seriously like all day long spit-up. At least every 10 minutes she would spit up a little bit, and after feedings, I might as well have just hung her over the toilet, because I KNEW she would projectile vomit every time with out fail.
The pediatrician said it was due to GERD (acid reflux) and that we had a few options. One was adding rice cereal to her formula, another was switching to AR, or she could prescribe her medication if that failed. Well the Enfamil AR made her almost 100% better. She still has some issues with discomfort from the reflux, but she does not spit up anymore at all. I have learned that she has to have a calm environment when eating. And that tends to help her relax and not get acidic quickly. She also has to stay upright almost all the time. I could always put her on a prescription med, but there is still no guarantee that it will help.

Anyways - sorry for the ramble... LOL

I HIGHLY recommend trying a new formula like Enfamil AR or Similac Sensitive RS.
August 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
So I am waiting for the doctor to call back on what to do.

He seems e bit better WHILE eating on the Isomil. BUT. I dont know if it is because of the formula or because it's ready-to-feed. Everything else we have done was powder, so it was bubbly. Is is possible the problem is the powder formula and how bubbly it is? He is def. spitting up more on the isomil, but I wonder if we go back to the sensitive and try the concentrate, if it would be better? What do you think? I am hesitant to try any of the 'specialty' formulas because we are on WIC and have to have a good reason & doctor note to get anything special.
August 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
WIC will supply you with the Similac Sensitive RS if your child needs it - if you need to do something like that, just talk to your ped. and they will give you a referral. Don't let WIC stand in your way

Maybe it is the ready-to-feed? I have never given Kaylin anything but powder, so I'm not sure what that would do.
If he is still spitting up the same, I would think that he is taking it better because it's RTF, and that he has reflux, which Isomil won't fix.

Oh I hope the ped. can give you some good suggestions!!! Hang in there momma!

PS.

If you do end up switching formulas, WIC will replace your old formula you already purchased with checks. When I switched Kaylin from Gentlease to AR, I had already gotten them from the store. So I took in my two cans of Gentlease and they gave me a check for two cans of AR.
August 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You ladies must have heck of a lot nicer WIC's than we do. I was told they would give a different formula with a prescription from your pedi but when I talked to WIC they said they absolutely WILL NOT give anything other than the formula their in contract with, and ours is goodstart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search